www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:24 am 

Urine is sterile and once it leaves the body it becomes contaminated. In my opinion the risk of an infection from a wet diaper exposed to air versus not exposed to air is negligible. Of course your surroundings matter. If you are changing in a public venue, all bets are off.
My diaper contours to me as it gets wet throughout the day. I think this helps minimize leaks. Once the diaper gets saturated, it no longer fits me well, gets heavy and uncomfortable, and those factors increase the possibility of a leak notwithstanding that the capacity has decreased.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:21 pm 

I didn't even consider this but it makes a lot of sense. Especially if you're in a public restroom, like WetDad said. But even if you're at home I suppose.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:36 pm 

Urine is not sterile.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/gory-d ... r-rest-you

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:52 pm 

*Diaper is dry at time of toileting, and it's been less than 4-5 hours since the last change: I continue wearing the diaper.

*Diaper is dry at time of toileting, but it's been more than 4-5 hours since the last change: If I'm wearing a disposable, I change. However, if I'm wearing cloth, I'll continue wearing it.

*Diaper is moderately or very wet: I always change. My wettings are usually heavy floods that require a change.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:25 pm 

Urine in the bladder IS STERILE. As a nurse I have inserted many urinary catheters and sterile technique is absolutely required. A diaper is not sterile so after the urine is voided into a diaper it is no longer sterile.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:04 pm 

RetiredRN wrote:
Urine in the bladder IS STERILE. As a nurse I have inserted many urinary catheters and sterile technique is absolutely required. A diaper is not sterile so after the urine is voided into a diaper it is no longer sterile.

unless there is a UTI?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:24 pm 

I really don't understand some of the posts that have been occurring on this site. When I first joined, I was seeking advice regarding incontinence issues. I have posted a number of questions asking for advice regarding a variety of issues. None of which had to do with how to put on a wet diaper. Get real, people!! That should not be a question to be asked. Figure it out!! I have posted a number of questions seeking advice for a number of real health related problems, and get very little response. Maybe it's time to find another support group.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:11 am 

I need to apologize for my last post. I felt that asking how to put on a wet diaper was a little over the top. If it's wet, change it for a number of reasons. However, to each his own, and I should not have gone so ballistic. I do feel, however, that some legitimate questions have not had much response. Maybe it's because no one has an opinion, haven't had a similar experience, whatever. Also, some questions can only be answered by a medical professional, and they may not know. Again, I'm sorry for the insult.

Some of my frustration lies with the uncertainty of incontinence. I have dealt with it for some time; even before my prostatectomy. I don't see my urologist for a couple of months yet. I haven't seen much improvement...go long periods without any urge, little to no control once I start, no sensation when I do pee, etc. I'm sure the urologist will suggest an AUS or bladder sling, but will not agree to anymore surgeries or devices implanted in me. I have had so many "things" put up both openings "down under" that I decided enough is enough. I have managed quite successfully through the years by wearing diapers. I'm 70 years old, and not interested in any of these procedures unless, of course, they are life saving. I guess, I would like someone to say this is as good as it's going to get. I can live with that. The uncertainty, unpredictability, inconsistency is what drives me a little nuts. Sorry for the long rant, and again I apologize if I insulted anyone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:08 pm 

Hi DP,

I am a novice at this compared to many on here, but I can still appreciate your frustration. I too, deal with inconsistency issues and a general uncertainty about where things are going. My urologist speaks in non-committal terms and phrases, ie: "we can try..." or "this should help" etc. I had TUIP surgery in November which "should help over time" but hasn't thus far (and in fact, has made things worse in some ways.) I like my urologist and have a lot of faith in him, but I get the impression that sometimes, they just don't know...

Quote:
I guess, I would like someone to say this is as good as it's going to get. I can live with that. The uncertainty, unpredictability, inconsistency is what drives me a little nuts.

My wife and I had a similar conversation the other day. I was complaining about the frustration and the roller coaster this has been, and that I was tired of trying and hoping to improve the situation, just to have the rug pulled out from under me. And also, that I didn't want to keep wasting time trying to get better if I was just gonna be in diapers the rest of my life anyway. When she said that this may be as good as it gets and I should just quit trying and accept things, and if they got better, then great... it really took a weight off my shoulders. So while I'm certainly not the guy with the answers, I can at least empathize with you. Good luck and hang in there!