www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: putting on a wet diaper
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:58 pm 

The thread Tips on using toilet but also wear tab style diaper got me thinking about a dilemma I have at times. What do you do if you can use the toilet, but your diaper is already somewhat wet?
Personally I have no problems staying in a wet diaper, until it reaches the saturation point. But if I take it off for any reason I find it hard to put on, even if it is only slightly wet. It is like saliva. You have no problems with it being in your mouth, but if you spit into a spoon you can't put it back in.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:53 pm 

For me I guess it depends on two factors as to whether I'll use a wet diaper again after doing the "wiggle" (i.e. dropping my diaper to use the toilet). I think the first factor is the "age" of the wet diaper. If my diaper has been wet for 3 or 4 hours I'll probably change it out even if it's got a good bit of capacity left. Then of course there's the question of remaining capacity. This one is fairly obvious, but it also depends on the quality/capacity of the diaper. I tend to use a lot of low capacity diapers when I'm just going to be around the house. So if I've gotten one full wetting into one of those, even if it was fairly recent, I'll probably just change it out. However if it's a premium diaper I'll tend to put it back on unless it's just too "old".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:56 pm 

Since most of the time I flood it, so it gets changed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:08 pm 

In my experience, its a good idea for me to change out of a wet diaper after 4-5 hours. Its good for my skin. And the risk of getting a leak significantly increases for me. So I will change a new diaper if its close to that time.
I will also change if there isn't enough capacity left for me to be comfortable that I would not have a leak.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:59 pm 

For me, it depends on remaining capacity and what I'm doing next. During the day, I almost always wear night time capacity disposables. If I'm at home, I will usually put it back on and keep wearing it until it reaches capacity, but if I'm leaving for a while I'll go ahead and change it, especially if we are "going out." When I wear cloth, however, it just have a hard time putting wet cloth diapers back on, so I will usually change into a disposable after.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:44 am 

I always change into a new diaper. For me, once it has been on for 30 minutes, it is at least a little wet. Plus, I'm not bowel incontinent, but I do have dumping syndrome. If an attack comes and I take the time to try and wiggle a diaper down or fiddle with the tapes, I'll end up needing a change anyway...

I used to try to get the most use out of every diaper, but now I'd rather be comfortable. Besides, even if I wiggle it down or re-tape it very carefully, it never seems to fit quite right.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:18 am 

I have wiggled out of a still dry diaper and managed to get it back up a few times but I agree with Rc-uk they never feel like they are fitting right. its expensive but I would rather change onto a fresh diaper and know its fitting right. Most times my diaper is already wet so reusing unless an emergency (no spare diaper with me at the time) so reusing is not an option. I try to always have my backpack with supplies with me at all times when I go into the washroom when out and about.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:35 pm 

I will wiggle out of a still-dry diaper to use the toilet, but wiggling with a fairly wet diaper can leave a trail of pee down your thighs and legs that will need to be wiped to prevent urine odor. :( I usually will just use an already wet diaper to its capacity and then change it.

--John

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:54 pm 

A continence nurse once warned me this is a very dangerous thing to do. Exposing even a slightly wet brief to outside air significantly increases the chance for bacterial contamination and thereby UTI's. Once wet, best to keep wetting in it to saturation or completely discard it if you don't want to do that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:55 am 

jgrover wrote:
A continence nurse once warned me this is a very dangerous thing to do. Exposing even a slightly wet brief to outside air significantly increases the chance for bacterial contamination and thereby UTI's. Once wet, best to keep wetting in it to saturation or completely discard it if you don't want to do that.

I imagine that will depend on *where* you do the wiggle. In a public restroom, contamination is very likely. However, at home those chances will be minimized.