www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:10 am 

Hello all,
Been a lurker here for a while, thought I would join and join in the discussion. Just a little about myself, I'm 22, very social and love anything to do with cars (love F1). I have been double incontinent for about 8 months now and whilst it has been a shock, I have learnt to adapt and change due to my condition. After telling myself there are worse things to have out in the world, I began to realise I didn't have it too bad.

The one thing I am still struggling to come to terms with is changing in public. I live in the UK and they have what's known as "Changing Places", however these seem to cater to the those who are physically disabled and not sure whether I am entitled to use them? I'm getting pretty fed up of having to leave early to go home and change or worse still, having to change in a public bathroom with the risk of people noticing.

But anyway, thanks for reading this, hope to get involved more with the community.

Adam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:55 am 

Hi and welcome.

It's great to hear that you've come to terms with the shock.

Thankfully, I'm only urinary incontinent but I've also wondered about using the changing places toilets. I could do with the extra space (a back problem means it's not always easy for me to manipulate myself into the right positions in a cramped cubicle), plus I've found a lot of public toilets don't actually have a bin, which means I usually end up having to carry a used pad with me until I can find a bin.

I'm wondering if it would be more practical to use a standard disable toilets or if I should pursue changing places and see if they have a problem with me changing in them?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:27 am 

I personally don't use them because here you can't use a Radar Key to access them so have to ask a staff member for access.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:54 am 

Hi Adam and welcome to the forum. I think you will find a lot of knowledge, information, and help on this site. While I am not in the UK and therefore can't speak to the intricacies of the changing places, my initial, un-schooled thought would be to make use of them if they are available. The name suggests that they are, in fact, for "changing" and should have the necessary facilities for disposal of used products, as opposed to public toilets as someone else suggested.

We seem to be at about the same stage (timewise) in our respective journey's, as my issues started in earnest this past spring. Thankfully, I only deal with urinary incontinence, but also wear diapers 24/7. Here in the US, in addition to men's and women's rooms, some places have "Family" restrooms for parents and children, caregivers and patients, etc. I would think these are very similar to your changing rooms, and would not think twice about using one if available.

Good luck in your journey.

Jerry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:47 am 

Hi All

Changing Places are great as have all the facilities one needs even diaper disposal, I use this website as has locations and contact details to check if the Changing Place has the requirements you need. If there are no Changing Places then I look for alternatives such as the showers at marinas, service stations & truck stops as have more room than normal loos some Marinas I have been to even have bathrooms which is even better.

http://www.uktoiletmap.org

Greenbank

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:06 pm 

Add my welcome to those above. I have secured a handicapped identification card, using a doctor's letter plus state approval. This makes using handicapped restrooms much easier.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:13 pm 
Admin

Howdy Adam

Welcome to our little family here on the forum. :D
You will find a lot of great info and answers to any questions that you may have.

Schoppy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:49 am 

Hi Adam

Welcome to the group

Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:12 pm 

greenbank wrote:
Hi All

Changing Places are great as have all the facilities one needs even diaper disposal, I use this website as has locations and contact details to check if the Changing Place has the requirements you need. If there are no Changing Places then I look for alternatives such as the showers at marinas, service stations & truck stops as have more room than normal loos some Marinas I have been to even have bathrooms which is even better.

http://www.uktoiletmap.org

Greenbank

Just to add to the welcome I have obtained the Bladder and Bowel toilet card and have used this many times in shops and the staff have so far been most accommodating much better than public loos too.

https://www.bladderandbowel.org/help-in ... wait-card/

Happy new year everyone!

Greenbank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:58 pm 

Welcome Adam,

The Radar keys are readily available - even via Amazon. My understanding is than anyone who is incontinent is approved to use them.

--John