Post any comments, remarks, ideas, observations, experiences, concerns or questions here.
Post a reply

Flu increased my incontinence

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:32 am

So last Thursday I caught a cold at work, but by Friday morning I was pretty sure it was the flu so I took it off. By Saturday I had every major and minor symptom, and felt like I was going to curl up in bed and die. (Don't worry, I didn't).

Needless to say, my urinary incontinence became profound with absolutely no control or feeling, and my decreased bowel control was decreased even more.... Thankfully my diapers did their job, as did my various medications. (Unlike the flu shot I had gotten).

Any ways, Sunday I spent most of my day in bed recovering, and today (Monday) I'm back at work again. My incontinence and bowel control has returned to "normal". Lol, whatever that is.

So I'm wondering, does anybody else get so profoundly worse when they get sick? I'm not talking about just an extra bout of diarrhea from food poisoning, or extra leaking from blowing your nose too hard, but a really big or worse change for the bad. Has this ever happened to you?

Re: Flu increased my incontinence

Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:19 pm

Yes, and the uptick in both bladder and bowel dysfunction continues for several days after I get well. I'm an older person and diabetic, however, and that might have something to do with it

W.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:31 pm

Count me positive on this one. I have two fractured vertebrae and three compressed discs in my lower back. Most of the time, I do not even know there is a problem (except for my incontinence); however, maybe once or twice each year they give me sciatica. Then it's Katy bar the doors. I have gone through a full washer load of diapers in a single day. So far, my flu and pneumonia shots seem to be working, so I'm fortunate on that issue. My heart goes out to anybody with influenza. Before the vaccines came out, I had it as many as three times every year.

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:37 pm

I get the flu shot early every year because I travel so much. So far, it has been completely effective for me.

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:45 pm

Yes, I usually notice an uptick in urinary frequency and urgency a day or two before I get sick. Obviously, like many here, stress of any kind makes my symptoms worse. My incontinence is still mostly on the lighter side with the frequency and urgency being my primary symptoms.
Post a reply