www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:28 am 

so ive been through this before. 4 times in fact. im having my 5th leg surgery in a week. ill be non weight bearing for at least the first 2 months. first two weeks ill be pretty much bed bound. i have no one to help me change. im staying in the hospital for the first 24 hours so the nurses will help me then. ive always been terrible at changing laying down. does anyone have any tips? thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:43 am 

It helps a LOT if you have a firm bed versus very soft or with a pillow cover. If you can, always lay down on firm surface to change a diaper.

Open the diaper and lay on top of it. Position yourself so the back waistband of the diaper is at about the back of your waist line. Bend your knees and spread your legs apart. Pull the diaper up between your legs, and make sure it is pulled snug up towards your front waist. Now reposition yourself so the front and back of the diaper are about equal height up around your waist line.

Making sure the diaper is snug from front to back, pull the rear and front wings of the diaper out. You may need to roll to one side or the other to help facilitate this, just make sure you aren't laying on any creases in the diaper. Next, tape up the lower tapes. Both sides should be pulled forward to about the same length. It helps a lot if you've memorized where the tapes ended up the last times you've gotten a good diaper fit. Landmarks like the edge of the padding, elastic from the leg guards, or prints on the diaper shell are all good indicators.

Once you've got the lower tapes secured, move on to the top. Pull one front wing back at the top waist so it is somewhat snug, then with the other hand stick the tape in place. Repeat for the other side. As you move around the top waistband always loosens a little so it's really important you tape the top waistband on very snug if not a little tight.

You'll also notice the center of the diaper between your legs will be pulled flat and wide at this point too. Just push in the edge of each leg bands in so it will bunch up like it normally would be had you put it on while standing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:30 am 

Although I second everything above, let me add that having everything you need handy, wipes, gloves, plastic bags for the disposal of used protection, lotion/cream, powder, etc. is more important when you lie down to change than it is when standing.

Do you have assistance for preparing meals? Do you have assistance with laundry and shopping? You might want to contact a local church/synagogue or county agency for temporary assistance. I remember well how helpless I was following my surgery, and all the assistance I needed from family and friends.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:28 pm 

I would like toAadd "amen" to what Patrick has said. After my last major (surgery I was completely unable to diaper myself as well as a lot of other things). While your surgery may not be quite that severe, do not make the mistake of overestimating what you will be capable of, particularly for the first three to four days. Do arrange for temporary assistance if at all possible. You always can dismiss it with your thanks if you find you are doing fine by yourself.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:18 pm 

ive tried getting a home health aide and cant due to my insurance. and sorry, im not going to have someone from a church that i dont know come into my apartment and change me. hell no. ill do it on my own.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:38 pm 

sorry for getting angry. people keep suggesting i have strangers come in and help and its too embarassing and i have trauma and im not comfortable. i already have to be changed at the hospital (im staying overnight) and im less than thrilled about that

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:40 pm 

Thanks for the reply Brian. Everyone else seems to have given up on me.
The problem I'm afraid of is I can't put ANY pressure on my leg. I have a soft bed and can't lay on the floor. I won't be able to get up. I can't lift my legs up because the cast is too heavy

AAAAAH I don't know what to do!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:10 am 

Well, a soft bed doesn't mean you won't be able to diaper up in bed. It will just make it a little more difficult in getting any folds or wrinkles out of the diaper as you pull it snug.

Being able to roll from one side to the other will help greatly in this, it will just take practice. Speaking of which, you should start practicing this before your surgery so you can get a better idea on what and how to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:17 am 

Oh, and as far as getting someone to help you being too embarrassing. Get over it, swallow your pride, and admit to yourself what you can and will not be able to do.

Sorry to be so tough, but your pride will only make things worse for you. If you think getting help diapering up is too much, think how embarrassed you'll be calling 911 in a soaked and messy diaper because you couldn't handle a diaper change on your own. There is just no sense in doing that to your self.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:16 pm 

Edited cause I overreacted

Last edited by justej on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.