www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:46 am 

kdlstar wrote:
Hi,

I used to like doing Tae Kwan do when I was younger.... Before my car crash and urinary issues...
But now I am interested in possibly starting wing chun if I had money and time.
Exercise wise, I now do lot of hiking and jogging or long walks... And do some weights or calisthenics at home depending. I found a thin diaper to give me ample protection, comfort and security- something like tranquility either slimline or atn(slimline barely hold a wetting for me). The tenas I think ultra are also pretty good- thin diapers. But they are cloth backed.
I guess the one thing that is good about diapers and martial arts is when you are getting your butt kicked it won't hurt as hard. Lol

I have been somewhat secluded and lonely since my car crash but I try to go out there and jog on weekends with other runners and keep in shape.

I'm glad to see another martial artist here, although its a shame you had to quit. Thank you for your advice. I've actually grown pretty fond of the tena stretch super, as they seem to last almost as long with breathability, much easier to put on, and does not show under my pants at all.

Continuing my martial arts (as well as other activities) is something that is very important to me moving forward. I hope you are able to find the time to take Wing Chun! I've always been fond of the fluid movements of the arms and hands in that style.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:14 pm 

I used to do TKD with my son, but that was before a weight training accident took out one of my knees. Years later, I am pretty much recovered from the surgeries, but I will have to lose some weight before I can go back to that. I do miss the activity and people that were in my class.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:28 pm 

WetDad wrote:
I used to do TKD with my son, but that was before a weight training accident took out one of my knees. Years later, I am pretty much recovered from the surgeries, but I will have to lose some weight before I can go back to that. I do miss the activity and people that were in my class.

Point sparring is great cardio. Just saying! :P

One big problem I'm having right now with exercising and sports is that nasty swampy feeling in any kind of protection after any kind of exercise. Is there any way to mitigate that?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:35 pm 

I doubt there is. :? After all, they are meant to keep wetness inside, and even breathable protection sucks at passing humidity from sweating through fast enough when doing sports. Just change immediately after exercise (even if you did not wet) to prevent skin irritation, wash the "swampy" area and, if possible, let your skin air out and dry properly. Of course lighter protection is better at heat/humidity dissipation, but if you have to wear heavy protection, then there's very little you can do to prevent that icky feeling.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:46 pm 

JDinVirginia wrote:
DedDude,

With a properly fitting plastic-backed diaper, the plastic should not be a problem at all. Of course, a breathable diaper will stretch more during exercise than a plastic-backed diaper, if you want that.

Just choose a reasonably thin quality diaper. Cheap ones may clump and separate from the backing under active exercise.

Wearing something over the diaper such as underpants or compression pants will help to keep the diaper from tearing, will help hold it in place, and will smooth out any bulges such as compression pants.

--John

I have had several nice rides now, each up to about 5 hours. Nice thing is that when I start to exert myself my bladder shuts down more than normal.
Of course within 5 minutes if stopping I have a small gully washer if I can't find a toilet... My legs are fine and the sawing sensation in the groin I was afraid of is not occurring. Riding a recumbent is really a blessing with the nice wide seat involved.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:48 pm 

DedDude,

Making it through several 5- hour rides is very good. :D What diaper, etc. are you wearing?

Have you modified the original seat?

--John

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:28 pm 

This is an old thread, but DedDude mentioned riding a recumbent bike, that is, the rider sits in a backward leaning position in a chair-like "saddle" similar to a cup seat of a car, with the pedals in the front-section of the frame . That possibly helps with reduction of chafing and increases comfort.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:56 am 

Holy smokes guys, I lost rack of this thread and I apologize for not answering. To the first question asked, I wear a very thin prevail (usually a junk diaper) when I ride. it is thin, and does the job well enough. Fortunately, when I am exerting myself and sweating, my body mostly shuts my bladder down. I refuse to even try one of my confi-dry diapers even on a recumbent. They would saw my legs off at the groin. Second question. No, I have not modified the seat of my bike in any way what-so-ever. Standard mesh and or hardshell recumbent seats are as diaper friendly as you will ever find.

Mesh seats. http://www.ransbikes.com/library/into-t ... es/itr064/ scroll down about half way.

Hardshell seat. https://hostelshoppe.com/HP-VELOTECHNIK ... 010-39840/

I managed a ride of over 7 hours last summer wearing protection, and am planning on a one day 160 mile ride next summer. It is possible, Just be careful and limit the length of your rides until you find what works.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6