www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:47 am 

Yes, guys, the other upside was that we missed Blizzard of '16!

The irony is that my wife is a retired RN and we are very much aware of avoiding possible infection when traveling.

Batman, yes, do get passports. They now are required by many cruise lines whereas previously they were optional for most destinations. Re health insurance, your regular insurance usually will not cover you when you are out of the country. Although the medical costs might be affordable, should you be injured and need to be moved to a medical facility in a local country and perhaps then medical evacuation back to the USA, that would cost a tremendous amount.

Rvnrocky, agree re the pharmacies in many destinations, particularly if a CVS. However, I would not count on restocking there as they usually do not carry products on the shelf for moderate to severe incontinence.

Nonetheless, I did have some fun, the food was excellent, and the Martini bar helped some also. :D

--John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:06 am 

Did you have a handicapped accessible cabin? Did it accommodate your management requirements?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:15 pm 

Patrick,

I did not have a handicapped accessible cabin per se, but was fortunate that ours was large enough to have both a tub and a shower. That permitted administering enemas in the tub (in case of a severe leak) and having enough space under the sink to store enema soaps and lubes, catheters, and the usual incontinence rash creams, etc. I brought along a suction cup safety bar that I was able to add in the tub area to help in getting out of the tub (I have learned this from past experience). Also, I brought two additional suitcases for diapers and other incontinence supplies. One was a collapsible camping duffle bag that when empty went into the other diaper suitcase. This extra baggage is one reason why we decided to drive to Florida rather than fly.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:31 pm 

JD, for next time you may want to fly any ways. Most airlines will allow you to check an extra medical supplies bag for free. However, this bag must only contain medical supplies, and you will have to declare it when checking your bags. You can't take it as a carry on though.

I know with delta and american airlines they have a small card they want you to print out beforehand. It has a couple of lines where you're supposed to write in your medical problems. When you talk to the baggage handler just give them that card and they will check your bag to see if its contents match up for what you declare. There is no doctors note or physical proof needed for what you declare though.

I've done this several times now, and have never had a problem getting my bag of diapers checked for free.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:40 pm 

JD,

That reads as though you're a pro at managing. Kudos. Super glad to have you back.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:33 pm 

Baby Brian,

Unfortunately, I know from experience that many airlines only consider "medical supplies" to be durable medical goods and specifically not diapers. :(

I am unwilling to just trust the goodwill of an unknown baggage handler as the penalty for two suitcases of extra luggage is so costly.

However, Baby Brian I did not know about the card you mentioned and will check that out for the next time. Thanks for the excellent tip! :D

--John

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:45 pm 

No problem JD. What airline(s) did you try that denied your diapers as medical supplies? It's any airline would do that to you. Adult diapers are know by most anyone they are used for incontinence, and that absolutely is a medical disability. If they give you a hard time over it, just ask for a manager and explain this simple concept to them. I'm sure they would allow it if you make a big enough point over it.

I know I did get hit with the extra baggage fee once with delta, but that was because I had some orthotic boots in with that bag. They denied the boots and I couldn't get them to fit in my other bags so the whole bag got the fee (not because of the diapers though).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:48 pm 

Brian,

If I recall correctly I think it was United and Lufthansa - it was an international flight. If we are able to fly business class, which usually is only on very long flights, I get extra free baggage so that takes care of the problem.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:15 pm 

Thanks for the update!! Can't wait to take the wife on a cruise some day.....

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:10 pm 

So I am also finally going on a cruise in about a month to the carribean. I will be riding the royal carribean cruise line and it will be about a week long. It will be my first cruise ever so I am not sure about how it will be. It is a bit nerve wrecking as I am bit concerned about being stuck on the water and springing more than 1 leak. I am also bit terrified about having a panic attack or flashback on the trip....
I plan on bringing about 20 northshorecare and maybe extra booster pad two.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next