www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:46 pm 

Off to a good start. Driving south on I-95 to Miami to start the cruise.

Decided to try double diapering to avoid need for a change at a rest stop. Worked great!

Same double diapering at night. Went 9 ½ hours last night before changing and could have gone longer. Same method I will use aboard the cruise ship.

During day I bulge a bit but no one would notice. Overall, good experience.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:02 pm 

John, I'm happy to hear that your trip has started off well.

Wetters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:37 am 

John,
I'm glad things are going great. I believe you had a good plan and for all of us, if we don't have a good plan things can get a bit messy. Have a awesome time !!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:25 pm 

I've been on a bunch of cruises- all while diapered. Don't worry about the room steward coming across your diapers. I've found they do like to incorporate a diaper or two in those cute towel animal designs, which is embarrassing at first, but just shows they really don't care in any kind of negative way. Tip them as you normally should, and all will be perfect.

Oh, and also make sure you bring more than enough diapers with you. Figure about how many you will need, then multiply that by 125% (1.25). This is how many you will need. Diarreah does happen, as does peeing a lot more because you've had too much alcohol (both are way too common on cruise ships). If you don't have enough before boarding then stop in town and find a medical supply store. They are all over the place in Florida, and easy to find via a google search too. These stores always carry better diapers than you'd find in a typical food or pharmacy store.

Also, take a backpack with you on the excursions/ day trips. Keep 2-3 diapers in it and you will be good to go.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:21 am 

Earlier I promised an after action report and a few comments re incontinence and cruise ships. Here you are.

Cruising with double incontinence is all about risk management. In spades. The great temporary change in environment, lifestyle, hours, diet, and activity level all come into play. Also the consequences of an accident may be more severe due to the close social circumstances involved. That can add some stress to what otherwise should be a pleasurable situation.

At our first meeting on the cruise, our cabin steward clearly did not get it when I tried tactfully to explain to him that I am incontinent and would be generating more bathroom trash than usual. Finally I had to pull out a diaper and wave it at him. You should have seen his face - surprise, sudden understanding, and embarrassment that he had not understood - all at once. Then he handled it very professionally. It was his job to inform the maid and her assistant.

Who do you tell? If on a cruise, you may as well tell your cabin attendant or maid as it will be almost impossible to keep it a secret from them anyway. Go out of your way to let them know that you are doing all you can not to make their job any more disagreeable.

As I previously posted, I had prepared to handle bedwetting by double diapering in the hotels and aboard the cruse ship. Then I realized that I probably could skip a change in a public restroom during the drive down and save some time by doing the same thing. It worked well both down and back. The added bulge was hardly noticeable under my black jeans. Of course a good onesie or compression pants to support the extra weight when wet is essential. At night, I wore two sets of PUL pants on top of the double diaper. First, a pair of ordinary Gary Activewear PUL pants, then, on top, larger Gary PUL pants sized for a cloth diaper. That way the legs of the top pants made contact with my thighs below the first pair of pants. That system was great. Of course, most important is the emotional assurance it gave me that I would not leak. I slept like a baby - one night for 10 hours - and no leaks! Definitely worth it.

Of course I did add an absorbent pad beneath the sheets to protect the mattress - just in case it was needed (it wasn't).

I used a lot of plastic diaper disposal bags (not plastic grocery bags). Every time the cabin attendant enters the cabin he will remove the used diapers. Normally I would leave an open bag until I filled it with another diaper, but not aboard ship. Must seal the bag with each diaper to be considerate of the attendant.

As my usual zinc oxide rash cream is so messy, I used coconut oil the entire trip and no problems at all. Using coconut oil let me pee in a toilet by pulling the penis under a leg gather without getting zinc oxide on my pants. I have some control during the morning hours and timed voiding let me slightly reduce the total number of diapers I needed.

I saw one older male aboard ship very obviously wearing a diaper and doing so very poorly. I said nothing.

Some cruise ship public restrooms are perfect for diaper wearers. Walls are from floor to ceiling for complete privacy, sinks inside the stall, a shelf, and a trash can inside the stall.

When on a cruise ship, access to laundry facilities varies markedly from one cruise line and ship to another. Some offer only expensive ship's laundry facilities. Others provide laundry facilities on each level of cabins for the use of guests. It is wise to bring a stretchable clothes during line that can be attached to various fixtures. I like a line designed for campers with Velcro fasteners at the ends as that makes it extremely versatile. This may offer your best way to dry plastic pants and other hand wash.

As is my normal practice, I use daily morning preventive enemas to successfully control my bowel incontinence. Anyone doing the same on a cruise ship will need flexibility re adapters for attaching traditional enema bag to various fixtures. An over-the-door hook can be indispensable if other fixtures are not conveniently available or located for hanging the bag.

Some people have asked whether adult diapers can be purchased aboard a cruise ship. The answer is no. Bring all the diapers and other supplies you think you will need, plus a generous safety margin.

Re having bladder or fecal accidents, I am pleased to report that during 15 days of car travel plus aboard ship I experienced no leaks at all due to my diapering and use of enemas. :D IMHO, that is pretty good.

Sadly, it was almost the cruse from hell as I came down with pneumonia and had to be treated in the ship’s medical center twice a day with i.v.’s and nebulizers. Resulted in a $10,000 medical bill! :( Fortunately, we always take out travel insurance and the cost should be covered. We have cruised a lot and this is the first time we have had a bad experience.

If anyone has any questions, please ask.

--John

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:01 am 

John,
That was a awesome play by play. I'm sorry you came down ill on your trip, but even being sick no accidents at is Awesome !!!! that is a great picture, we don't have to slow down we just have to plan better. Thank you for sharing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:16 pm 

Welcome back. Hopefully, you were able to enjoy some of the cruise before you got sick. Question on the cruise as when my wife and I go on one, it will be are first. Should we get passports? Never thought about buying extra insurance, but I guess regular health insurance might not cover?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:19 pm 

John, I'm sorry that you fell sick, but happy to hear that your incon management went well. Hope you had some fun despite the setback. Did you go ashore at all? If so, what ports of call did you visit?

Wetters

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:34 pm 

Many of the Caribbean cruise ports of call have a pharmacy or convenient store that carries incontinent products, the main cruise port at St. Thomas has a great pharmacy with products, St Maarten, Aruba and of course San Juan PR where there is a CVS.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:18 pm 

I was glad to read of your successful incontinence management during your cruise. The pneumonia, however, not so good. We have only gone on one cruise, which was a success in every way. However, a cruise ship is a densely populated, closed environment; if anybody, guest or crewmember, has a communicable illness, soon everybody else will get it. I hope your pneumonia will be cured now that you're home. Thanks for your report.

While you were gone, the northeastern and mid-Atlantic states had an expletive-deleted nor'easter. To welcome you back, we're told to expect another in a few days. Please, try not to stress your lungs or back clearing snow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next