www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:36 am 

In a couple of days my wife and I drive to Miami to board a cruise ship for a Caribbean cruise. :D Such excursions are a mixture of both pleasure and stress as they push me to the limit of my ability to control my incontinence. The significantly increased level of activity and close social situations, while fun, greatly increase my risk of having a spectacular failure. :(

My wife and I have traveled and cruised extensively, but, as I become older and my symptoms become more severe, it becomes more of a challenge. I worry about when I will cross the proverbial "bridge too far."

The sheer number and volume of diapers I must take is daunting - a suitcase and a duffle bag full of nothing but diapers for use once aboard the ship, plus another for use during the car travel portion. As I always fear running out of diapers, I usually wind up taking too many. Of course there also must be rash creams, disposal bags, etc., all of which take up space. Originally I had hoped to use an external catheter at night to reduce the number of diapers required, but have had to drop that idea as it is too difficult to get the condom off in the morning (I would have put it on only about 7 hours earlier and the adhesive still would be too strong). So, for nights I will be double diapering, again, requiring more diapers!

Alas, I will use up the remainder of my limited supply of precious plastic-backed Tena Slip Maxi diapers on the cruise. :( That diaper is so flexible that I can wear it with dress trousers to dinner or under a pair of water activity shorts during the day and no one can tell a thing. I also am taking some Seni Quatro along for their breathability in the warm climate, plus my usual Dry 24/7s to wear with jeans.

Then there are the intermittent catheters. Small, but also taking up space.

As I use daily morning preventive enemas to control my bowel incontinence, there also is that equipment, soap, lubricants, etc. As I cannot carry enough absorbent pads to take my enemas on the floor of the bathroom, I will need to use the tub to catch any leaks.

I do have a few absorbent pads to place under the sheet for some extra bed protection in addition to asking the maid for mattress protection.

All of this fuss about bedwetting makes me really appreciate how effective my cloth diapers have been at night. Too bad it is impractical to use them when traveling.

It is fortunate that we are driving to Miami this trip as airline travel would not be practical with all of the suitcases full of incontinence supplies. I have learned that many airlines do not consider diapers to be medical supplies and so would have had to pay extra for each bag.

Mornings on a cruise ship when there is a port visit and shore excursions are very hectic as I have to get up extremely early to fit my morning procedures in before debarking. The enemas work very effectively for their intended purpose so I will not be worried about having a fecal accident later in the day. However, after an enema it is wise to allow some time for drainage before setting forth.

I am sure to have stories to tell upon our return, hopefully good ones. :D

Sorry for the TMI, but some of this may be helpful to someone else who reads it months from now.

--John

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:17 am 

John,
You are right ,I feel like I need a moving van to follow me while I'm on vacation. Sounds like you have good plan. Good luck and have a great time.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:59 am 

Good luck. Have a wonderful time!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:41 pm 

JD,

This might be one instance when the vacuum cleaner might be useful for packing your diapers. On our longer trips I have taken along a vacuum-packed duffel of diapers, almost heavier than I am allowed to lift. I hope you have reserved a handicapped accessible stateroom. Enjoy yourself, and report back when you return.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:57 pm 

Enjoy the trip.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:14 pm 

Have a fantastic time, John! Please do tell all upon your return.

Wetters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:51 pm 

Not TMI!! I understand your anxiety, there are slot of logistical challenges. I feel anxious just thinking about taking a trip like that and my issues are minor compared to fecal incontinence.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:16 pm 

Thanks for your well wishes everyone! :D

Mlhr, I like your "moving van" comment.

Patrick, I never thought about vacuum-packed diapers. Please tell us more about that.

--John

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:17 pm 

Hi John

Enjoy your trip hope you both have a great time

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:01 pm 

JD,

Most of the larger department stores carry heavy plastic bags with fittings designed to attach to the standard vacuum cleaner hose. These are intended for the storage of heavy wintertime bedding during the summer, but are useful for just such occasions as this. Keep in mind that you must choose bags that will fit into your luggage, and that they will expand when the air is allowed to enter after the first time you use them. Failing that, just about any heavyweight trash bag will do. Fill it brimful, then secure the opening around the vacuum cleaner hose with a heavy rubber band, such as you find at the supermarket produce section, around broccoli stems, and secure it shut with a heavy twist-tie. Also, I hope you have reserved a handicapped accessible stateroom, and that it will suit your needs.

You have been looking forward to this trip for months; I hope it will be as relaxing and enjoyable as it can be for you, and that you'll return with a book of tales full of success and accomplishment for the rest of us.