www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Q&A For the Menfolk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:28 pm 

Ok, I will try to be as tasteful with this question as I can but I do seriously need the advice. Before all this I was a tighty-whitey guy, I liked how it held my dangly bits in place and stopped them from sticking to my inner thigh. When I first started wearing started wearing diapers I replicated that by forcing the leg gatherers into the crease where my legs meet my torso, but this caused skin irritation and rubbing. I even cut my skin a few times on the leg elastics. After doing some research, it seems I was wearing the diaper wrong so I adjusted fire and carried on. Now I have that annoying feeling of the dangling bits sticking to my thighs. How do you adjust for that?

PS: Sorry for the TMI :oops:

Marcus Aurelius

Post subject: Re: Q&A For the Menfolk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:07 pm 

Hi Porkchop,

Good question.

I don't recall whether you have said which diapers you wear, but normally a properly fitting premium diaper will have enough width and material at the crotch that it "cups" the male genitals. By so doing it should be almost impossible for them to touch your thighs at all.

--John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:59 pm 

When I first started having issues at night I ordered several sample packs and ended up liking the ConfiDry 24/7. Some of the ones people called "good," I remember that they were purple, I couldn't use because I had skin sensitivity issues with them. Others wouldn't fit over my thicker thighs, even when I was in great shape I had big thighs, so the 24/7's were what fit my shape the best. Maybe I am still putting them on wrong, but with my back issues it is hard to self diaper. As I am alone during the day, I have no choice but to handle things myself though.

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:00 pm 

JDinVirginia wrote:
Hi Porkchop,

Good question.

I don't recall whether you have said which diapers you wear, but normally a properly fitting premium diaper will have enough width and material at the crotch that it "cups" the male genitals. By so doing it should be almost impossible for them to touch your thighs at all.

--John

So do you put the leg gatherers at the crevice of your thighs to get that effect or lower down around the meat of your thigh?

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:09 pm 

I have issue that I cant twist, I use the edge of the bed to hold my diaper in place till I can get taped up. It also sounds like you might need to try a different style diaper. Some diaper don't fit me as well as others do. I wear micro fiber boxers over top to get the fit I am looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:02 am 

KDL,

I have the twisting issue too, I can do it but it hurts. I wear the Dry 24/7 at the moment, what kind should I try? I have tried several sample packs, and either had fit issues or skin irritation from whatever they use to control the odor. Wish I didn't have sensitive skin, it is a pain in the backside!!

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:16 am 

I wear stretch/compression briefs over my diaper this keeps things snug and is a lot more comfortable as I force the soft fabric into the crotch and as a result chafing does not happen for me. I also point into the diaper. Keeping to a good higeine regime also helps with a good moisturiser to keep the skin soft.

Greenbank

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:57 am 

Thanks Greenbank! What are these 'compression pants' everyone is talking about?

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:03 am 

Porkchop,

Purple? Are you perhaps thinking of Molicare which has purple plastic? I don't think ConfiDry 24/7 comes in purple.

Re the leg gathers, they are intended to fit high in the crease of the crotch so that the internal standing leg guards are in contact with skin to prevent leaks. If the leg gathers are allowed to fit further down the thigh it defeats the purpose of the internal standing leg guards.

Plastic pants, in addition to stopping most leaks, also help to support the diaper. Like Greenbank, I use sports compression pants or onesies to help keep the diaper in place as it becomes heavier and tends to sag. Also, Greenbank is quite correct about chaffing. Either compression pants or a onesie will markedly reduce chaffing. :D

--John

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:58 am 

Porkchop,

The above advice is wise indeed. Incontinence management is an endless series of trial and error (sometimes lots of error) as we experiment with different brands of diapers and overpants, different changing schedules, and investigate the advantages and disadvantages of disposables, washables, and externals catheters. Good luck and keep us informed.