www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sleep study
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:35 pm 

I've had a couple sleep studies done for sleep apnea and I think it was SeattleDoug that mentioned above what I was going to mention... you will likely be hooked up with wires up and down your body that would make it hard for you to get up on your own and use the bathroom. I could barely roll over in the bed on my own I was so hooked up. I did tell both the physician and the tech doing that study about my incontinence. Both responded almost identically... "it's more common than people think. We're used to it so don't worry about it". I bought and used some Abena Level 4's for both sleep studies I did and they seemed to hold up just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:27 pm 

I have had a sleep study before so I do know what to expect as far as the hookups and such. Last time I didn't have a private bathroom and this time I will. As most of my problems occur in the morning before I get to the bathroom, I may be able to get around that by getting up and going right to the bathroom that is right there. Sometimes I wet in the night but not all the time. I may go with the cloth and the cover just to ensure that I am protected. I may want to try it once or twice at home to make sure I can sleep ok with it before I get to the sleep study. I don't want that to be the reason I can't sleep.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:01 pm 

So I have had two sleep studies in the last two months.

The first one was pretty difficult and I couldn't turn over because he had the wires so short almost any move from me tore one off. It forced me to sleep flat on my back with no wedge pillow and that's when the worst apnea happens.

Plus I was just out of being extremely ill and totally fecally incontinent for several days right after hand surgery so I was pretty nervous, but I had no problems at all though I wore my heaviest pull-up just in case. Incontinence was unrelated; I came down with a waterborne GI infection the day of the surgery.

The second sleep study at a different facility was much better. The tech wrapped up the leads so I could turn over in bed without snagging anything.

I had to make them let me up to use the bathroom both nights. If anyone noticed my pullup nobody said anything. I was wearing surgical scrubs so it is possible nobody knew.