www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:09 pm 

This weekend we were square dancing out of town. We had expected to pick up our teen daughter from the airport at just before midnight Friday night and then drive to the hotel 90 min away. I had drunk coffee around 7:00PM so as to be awake for the drive to the airport but daughter's flight was nearly 4 hrs late so I had to have another coffee before leaving for the airport. We got to the hotel and went to bed around 6 a.m. The intent was to wake up at 9-9:30 for breakfast.

I did not bring a diaper with me because I was only expecting to sleep 3 hrs, I didn't want daughter to know of my problems, and I thought a Tena men's pad was sufficient but I was wrong. I wet the pad badly and since I was sleeping on my side the urine went into my underwear although I didn't see any spots on the white sheet.

I may hardly ever wet at night and I may almost always wake up when I do need to us the toilet. But I have to be sensitive to when I'm overly tired or had caffeine or other liquids later in the evening. At those times I guess a diaper is non-negotiable. Daughter is now aware of the problem and the need for diapers at night.

Daytime still doing good as long as I remember to take my pygeum.

G

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:14 pm 

G, I'm sorry about your wet night, and that your daughter discovered your need for protection before you were ready to tell her. I'll bet that if you regard the occurrence as nothing to be embarrassed about/ashamed of, she will regard your occasional wetting episodes and need for a night diaper as no big deal.

Wetters
P.S. I like square dancing, too!

Last edited by Wetters on Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:20 pm 

I hope you're right. I'm afraid of being seen as weak and unmanly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:39 pm 

G, The Depend incon forum (which they later turned into garbage), had a regular poster - a very articulate man in his early 60s. He responded to a post from an anguished 20-something guy who was concerned that his bedwetting would stand in the way of his developing an intimate romantic relationship. "Robert's" response in part was "Bedwetting has nothing to do with your masculinity, maturity or quality as a person." I couldn't have said it better....

Wetters

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:26 pm 

G,

that is the reason I stop wearing guards as they did not offer the protection I needed. Sorry you found out the hard way, but I know all of this is trail and error as each one of us is different.

I too have not told my son about my problem, but he has voiced he wants to move out of state back to where he grew up at. My wife and I have agreed to help him move and will be towing his car. Being that this will be a 22 hour trip with us staying at a hotel half way. I know I will have to talk to him about my issues before he sees the evidence in the suitcase or in the trash.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:41 am 

Letting you family know takes a lot of pressure away, I let my family know a while ago and it was the best decision I could have made. It has made dealing with the need for diapers easier. I now keep extra diapers at their homes as a just incase.

When traveling with family or friends you are going to have an accident at some point in time the last thing you want to do is push the diaper past the point you should just so you do not have to change.

Also switching to taped diapers from male guards will be a better solution, premium diapers like the abena level 4 or the dry 24/7 are a great choice. Diapers will cost more but the security they give your for bladder issues out way the costs. It's nice to know you can trust your diaper when an accident or two happens.

Get proper protection get a back pack to carry your extra diapers and supplies ans let you family and close friends know and don't worry if you wet you diaper unlike a shield it can handle several wettings and will keep you fleeting dry.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:00 am 

I think that the manly thing to do is to face up to your incontinence as a medical problem and then manage it in an effective way. Believe me: I understand that doing so can be tough. But that's what you need to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:41 am 

I never scrimp on protection, pullup with pad for workplace and regular tape on diaper when at home.......Foley catheter most of the time when not at work......being honest and up front with yourself and those who are close to you makes life a lot easier. I always wear a little more protection than I need. Which is easy because my incontience is not on the heavier side, though I plan as though it will be. Just a little insight on how I manage. The advice is free do what you wish with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:10 pm 

I have been out and honest with very few people. I have not told my mom and stepdad although it may come out this summer as we will be spending a week with them. I have not told my Father in law and his wife and they live close and we sometimes will spend a night or weekend at their place. I find I can hide it there rather well. We haven't done many day trips with them that needed extra changes in their car. It just hasn't come up. I suppose at some point it will come up and I will tell them. My honest hope is that most of my problem has to do with my weight and that I can get that under control and the problems will go away.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal