www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not keeping it a secret
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:57 pm 

So for some time now, obviously my wife has known that I wear diapers. We have told one other couple that we went away with for a weekend and shared a hotel room with. Other than that, we kind of keep it private for good reason. This has extended to our daughter who is now 7 years old. I have been wearing diapers her entire life. The last shipment that came in, a big box from XP Medical, she said, "I know what that is." While we were in the lobby of our apartment building.

I asked, "What is it?" (No one was around thank goodness).

"Your underwear."

Tragedy averted?

Couple days later, yesterday morning, I'm getting dressed and putting on a clean diaper after my morning shower. I have tried in the past to hide this part from her or plan it out before she is awake. This time she walks right up and watches. I don't flinch. I figure if I don't make it a big deal it won't be a big deal.

This morning, new story, she not only walks in on me putting my diaper on but today offers to help. I must admit we have raised her to help as much as possible but I think this might have crossed a line. I told her it was easier for me to do it myself.

Just not sure how far this curiosity is going to go. I don't want it to be a big deal. I want her to be ok with it. But we also need her to know that now matter what kind of underwear someone wears, underwear is a private matter not to be discussed. I think we have some talking to do in our home.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:01 am 

My children knew about my continence problems from a young age - due to a 2 litre bag being next to the bed in the morning. Of course with a wheelchair as well we were a family with one disabled. The fact is that the children never 'leaked' a word about the drainage outwith the family so your secrets are safe with your daughter I suspect.

Frankly, I don't know how or even why one would want to keep such a problem secret from the people one lives with. It is bound to be found out somehow, as you found yourself, msshendo, so it is probably better that everyone in the house knows, and knows to keep it to themselves. It saves lots of hiding boxes and all sorts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:44 am 

I think it's just time for a talk about privacy of some things.

Childhood is often about learning boundaries and social norms.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:50 am 

I would add that I have some similar concerns about secrecy and diapers.

My son is recently potty trained, and I worry that seeing me on diapers will confuse him. He also likes to "help" with everything, and at his age, has no sense of personal boundaries.

He pantsed me in the living room earlier this week, then pointed and declared loudly, "wet". I just said, " yes, that's true", while pulling my pants back up. It didn't seem to have affected him at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:02 pm 

My boys are 5 and 3 1/2. My wife has been very adamant since this began nearly a year and a half ago that the boys see absolutely nothing. I do not feel that this is realistic nor is it fair to me to have to live in the closet in my own house in front of my family. At a certain point they became aware that the "underwear" I was now wearing was a lot like diapers. This was my wife's biggest fear that they would notice it, put it together, become confused, and tell the world.I don't worry so much about it because this is how I have to live my life and I'm trying to get on with things. So I came up with the explanation that it was just a different kind of underwear and that seemed to satisfy their curiosity. That has been where it has remained. As many of you are aware, I'm also a Foley catheter user. The kids just call my "pee thing" which I think is funny. It is a fair assessment. While my wife's grandmother was in the hospital for end-of-life care she had a foley catheter. The wife's whole family was gathered around the bedside saying our goodbyes when my eldest piped up " look!! Mimi has a pee thing just like Daddy!!!" It lightened the mood and I grinned sheepishly. Somebody announced, "you had to know that was coming" I was like "yup, I had a pretty good idea that it was just a matter of time" kids say the damnest things at the most in-opportune times!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm 

I guess it falls under we'll cross that bridge when we get to it unless it is guarded by a big scary gnome.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:10 pm 

That's a different image ... a bridge guarded by a big gnome.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:26 am 

Not your average garden variety gnome and not the Trevelocity gnome either.

Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:09 am 

Hmmm.... A troll wearing diapers. Could always sneak across the bridge when the troll takes off for diaper change. :P