www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new urologist
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:57 am 

I had my first visit with my new urologist the other day, and it went fine...I guess. My post void retention was 356ml. and my psa was 3.2. Both higher than my last visit. I went to my appointment wearing a diaper which took him by surprise, but he didn't over react too much. I explained to him that my incontinence is quite sporadic and unpredictable, so I usually wear some kind of protection when away from home...sort of just in case measures. He did mention that I could have a urodynamic test done, but wasn't adamant about it. I did have one of those tests 7-8 yrs. ago prior to my green light prostate surgery...not the most pleasant experience. As a result I am waiting for another year to see him unless I begin to experience any new developments. I will manage, for now, as I have been. I hope I'm making the right decision. What I don't understand is why my retention can be greater some days then others? I do have a fairly large diverticulum that from what I have read could cause some of my issues.

Post subject: Re: new urologist
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:21 am 

Did you urologist suggest what to do about that post-void retention? That sort of volume comes with a serious risk of infections as well as reducing the usable volume of your bladder.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:50 pm 

Wheels, the only thing the urologist suggested was to have the urodynamic study done. Since my psa was 3.2, the magic under 4 number, he wasn't as pro-active. My psa has increased each time I have had it taken. It was 2.8 6 months ago. Of course, the decision is up to me. I'm not that keen on having a bunch of tests done that don't revel much. But then, waiting a year seems like a long time. I sort of wish there was as do or don't, yes or no answer to some of these decisions.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:57 pm 

I wasn't thinking of test as much as the need to avoid the large post-void volumes. That needs some action to avoid infections. Now it could be your urologist wants to perform his tests to establish why there is a large post-void volume but I would have thought you would at least have been show how to drain the bladder with Intermittent Catheters (IC) in the meantime.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:35 am 

Have to agree with wheels. My retention was only 200 ml almost half yours but intermittent catheterization was suggest which I did for a while. If you were to totally drain your bladder with IC it should help with the incontinence and lessen the accidents you have.
I have to say on the other side of things I never had an infection because of the 200ml I always had in the bladder I only started with infections when I changed over to an indweling catheter.

4wheeldave.