www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:19 pm 

Hey all,

For those of you who don't know, I have some pretty good size stones in my kidneys, the biggest one being about the size of a long pill in my left kidney. Or, at least that's what it was when they took the CT scan. My urologist mentioned that diet can cause kidney stones. Today I was looking at the urology health's website for information on kidney stone prevention.. and I looekd up what all can cause stones.. and while I was not too surpised at what i found, i was disenheartened. You see, due to the PDD-NOS and somewhat due to lack of initiative on my part, I don't for the most part prepare meals from actual ingredients. I eat a lot of frozen foods, and those were among the things listed high in salt. I guess its a good thing htat I'm moving into an apartmetn above my paretns, because I can use their stove and enlist their help in learning to cook so I can eat healthier and avoid stones. Obviously, this is a urologist question since none of us are medical professionals, but is there any way to offest the effect that consuming tv dinners have on salt intake? Have any of you found yourself in a sitiuation where you were unable to cook for yourself and had to resort to using ready to eat food and had to condtend with stones? Did your urologist give you any specific recommendations?

I must admit, up until this point I never gave much thought if any as to the ingredients of the food i consume, mainly because I have such a high metabolism that i can eat whatever I want and not gain weight.. Or is that true? That may not be as true as it once was. I think i am a 37 or 38 inch waist.. or 36.. I don't know..cant seem to find a meausring tape. The point is that I don't gain so much weight htat i baloon up all over.. on the otehr hand, my body type is tall and slender..i'm 6' 3 1/2".. and i think i weighed in at 190 the last time i got weighed..which suprised me.. i thought i was around 185...

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:09 am 

There's an excellent account of Kidney stones and suggestions for prevention on this [quote=http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Kidney-stones/Pages/Prevention.aspx]NHS website[/quote]. It makes dietary recommendations but has no mention of salt intake. High protein or high calcium diets may be to blame. The main suggestion is drinking plenty of water which will, of course, dilute everything and with luck stop stone forming.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:53 am 

... and to follow on now I have a bit more time...

There's not a lot wrong with pre-prepared meals, nutritionally. of course, check the packs for the salt and fat content but otherwise they should be fine.

However, cooking your own meals, whether it's a simple soup or a whole meal, means you get to choose what goes in and control what you eat and avoid the additives in pre-prepared food. It's also more satisfying to have cooked you own.

Let's us know if you want some ideas but, to start with, cooking a vegetable soup is about as easy as it comes. I've lots of ideas and I'm sure other here will chip in. Tell us what things you would like to cook.