www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:23 am 

I have my first doctors appointment tomorrow, and I'm scared. I'm scared of what's going to happen, I'm scared the doctor is going to accuse me of being lazy for wearing the nappy (I have fairly bad mobility problems and wasn't making it to the toilet in time 90% of the time), I'm also scared that I'm going to be told it's permanent. I was told years ago that over time, my medical conditions would worsen, and I keep remind myself that it's better to lose control of my bladder in my 20's than the use of my legs (again, something that is most likely to happen at some point), but being new to incontinence and suffering with depression anyway, it's hard. :( I'm finding that I want to go out and about much less that normal, and that wasn't much to start with. I'm not wanting to be around friends in case of leaks. I guess with time this will improve, but it's hard coping with it now, whilst waiting for the improvement in the future.

Sorry to be post a lot right now, but I really have no one else to talk to about this right now.

Cheryl

P.S - Should I take a urine sample with me to the doctors, in case I can't actually provide one when I'm there? I literally have no control over my bladder right now, so even if I tried whilst at the doctors there is no guarantee I'd actually be able to produce a sample on command. I have no idea what to expect at the appointment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:03 am 

im with you cheryl.
i have my first doctors appointment this morning.
i dont have any advice, just support.
my urologist is next week, but i have my primary care doc this morning.
sending you good thoughts...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:33 am 

Thank you for your support justej,I wish you luck at your appointment.

Cheryl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:23 am 

Don't take a sample, they won't be able to use it. Urine samples have to be collected under sterile procedure in a sterile container.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:22 pm 

Hey we're behind you, Cheryl. Don't bother bringing your own urine because it has to be in a sterile container anyway. Don't be too concerned about what people are going to think. Your friends don't really care that you're in diapers, any of my friends that know about it don't give it a second thought and they've never said a word about it. As far as medical professionals, they shouldn't have much to say about it. I've had one urologist be a dick about the fact that I had a pullup on, since then I've seen many doctors most of the time I have a regular tape on diaper on as that's what I usually wear when I'm at home. I prefer them for the security they provide, though I can get away with lighter protection. We're here if you need to vent or talk or bounce things off another incontinence sufferer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:29 am 

Well the appointment wasn't too scary, the doctor was pretty understanding about me wearing nappies. He did ask me to produce a sample at home and take it in to be tested for a UTI, and put me on antibiotics anyway just in case. Losing the feeling in my midsection is new, only a couple of months ago, and I think the problem with the nerves is more likely to be the cause than a UTI! I guess they just have to test for that first of all :-)

Cheryl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:15 am 

I have only very limited feeling around my bladder and uretha caused by diabetic related nerve damage. This is a major factor in my incontinence and enuresis. I have been warned I am unlikely to improove and must ajust to living with it which I now have. I hope you can be cured and wish you all the luck in the world. Please keep it all in perspective as incontinence is not the end of the world. I wear nappies all the time now yet still lead an ative and full life. Friend that are worth having won't care in the slightest. I used to worry about being in nappies but now frankly no longer worry nor care what others think. If they have a problem it for them to deal with.