www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:16 pm 

I know we have had some discussions here about shaving or other forms of hair removal that helps keeping odor down and such. Today I was contemplating this and wondering, are we still going to be doing that into our 70's and 80's?

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:38 pm 

For those of us that make it to our 70s, quite possibly. Though I am no longer incontinent - have retention instead and the joys of self-catherisation! - I do still shave 'down there'. I suppose I have just got useed to the look!

For what it's worth, my 66th birthday was last month so I am hoping I will still be doing this in my 70s! :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:20 am 

Msshendo, I am in my '70's and shave "down there."

Two reasons - in addition to general odor, as I am bowel incontinent it definitely makes clean-up after an accident much easier. Secondly, I always use a 40% zinc oxide barrier cream to prevent rashes. When I am shaved I can use much less of the barrier, which saves a few cents.

--John

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:50 pm 

I'm in my 50s and I keep that area trim as well. I use the same electric that I use to trim my beard. It keeps the hair short, but not so short that itching sets in. I only trim it up every month or two- rather low maintenance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:09 pm 

I would never purposely rid myself of something natural, beautiful and that defines me as a man.

Another issue to me is why women seem to think this is now a normal thing to do. Quite why adults want to make themselves look like children seems pretty weird to me.

On topic, if it's for hygienic reasons, as stated already, why not, it's likely more sensual too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:12 am 

Just a historical note - the Romans hated body hair and each Roman baths would have hair pluckers to do the necessary. A resident living in the English town of Bath is on record of having complained about the screams from the people having their hair plucked!

I gather it is starting to be fashionable among some to remove body hair (aside from incontinence that is.) I've seen various electric shaver companies offering devices for just this. Remember, history repeats itself even if we are unaware of the previous times things happened.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:06 am 

How true Wheels!

Why do we not have Like buttons?

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:40 pm 

We do not have a like button - because we are mostly older and still remember how to say we like something, or not, by actually saying it. Papa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:44 pm 

As far as body hair goes. Neither my first or second wife had or has any body hair. Present wife has tried to talk me into having mine waxed. I would rather go through 9 weeks at Parris Island again, less pain. Shaving is okay, not perfect but okay. Papa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:29 am 

Papa wrote:
We do not have a like button - because we are mostly older and still remember how to say we like something, or not, by actually saying it. Papa

But how do I follow it? How does it trend? I just don't get it.

Saw on the internet once were a younger lad saw an older cell phone with the Pound key and wondering why they had a hashtag key before they needed to hashtag anything.

Gore Vidal