www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:38 am 

zenute, thank you for your reply, I will definitely look into the Abena AbriFlex a go. I've had a look , and the place where I've been ordering from sells them for not much more than the pull ups I'd previously tried. The Abena AbriFlex Premium works out at £1.06 each ($1.60 each according to a currency converter) Is this good for a premium pull up? As you can tell I'm new to needing protection, so I'm still trying to work out what prices are good :)

Cheryl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:10 am 

Cheryl,

One of the many things that stink about incontince (no pun intended) is not everyone is the same and we have to find the product that works best for our individual needs? Most online companies will sell samples and I suggest you take advantage of this. The only bad thing is you will need more then 2 or 3 of a brand and type of diaper/nappie to get a good idea how it will work for you.
What I ended up doing at the beginning and again as my needs changed or what I was using was discontinued was make a spread sheet of different products with a list of venders that sell them and a side by side list of prices. Take into consideration if they have an auto fill discount where they automatically send more on a schedule you need and also if they give free shipping.
Try them out and see what you think about fit, how long they last and most importantly how many it will take to get you through a day. A diaper may be cheaper but if you have to use more to get you through a day that will drive cost up.

There are a lot of great brands out there but if it does not work well for you you need to find something else.

Good luck
Rope

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:46 pm 

Cheryl, It's hard for me to say if that is a good price, not being familiar with the relative cost of living in your area of the UK, but if it's not much more than you have already been paying for another brand, give it a try. If it doesn't work for you, that's fine, but both Wetters and I are also women with physical issues that make the brief style difficult, and we've both been quite pleased with the Abena Abriflex pullons.

As the saying goes, in my experience, you get what you pay for. Rope is correct when he says that if you need to use more of a less expensive product to get adequate protection, then ultimately it's not a savings, and if you can't get adequate protection that you can live with at all from a product, then that's not the product for you. Of course, I would like to not have incontinence issues in the first place and not have to spend money on these things at all, but leaking on the floor or on furniture, especially in public, is not an option. As Rope says, shop around and once you find the product or products that work for you, find the best price at any given time. There might be discounts or sales and you do not have to use the same vendor all of the time. I often find good deals from third party vendors on Amazon.com, which sometimes is even less expensive than the vendor's own website. Other members here have been known to buy surplus off eBay. If I have a choice, I prefer to use brands that are readily available from several sources so that I can do that comparison shopping and do not get used to a lesser known brand with higher risk of being discontinued.