www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tax Season
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:16 pm 

I am getting ready to prepare my tax expenses for 2014 and I have an appointment with my urologist Friday. Do I need to ask for a letter of medical necessity for my diapers or a prescription? Both? This year due to other issues my medical bills will be more than 10% of my gross income so I am going to claim my incontinence supplies. And advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Tax Season
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:44 am 

I asked my PCP for a letter of medical necessity for my diapers amd he gladly complied......insurance covers my foley supplies but I'm on the hook for all my diapers/pads/pullups......I'm still trying to compile a cost estimate but for diapers alone it's looking like it's under $1000 as of right now......

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:13 pm 

You'll only need the letter if you get audited.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:33 am 

Remember to include the costs of supplements (if medically advised), creams, lotions, wipes, disposal, lab work, mileage to/from medical visits or the obtaining of supplies (i.e., postal pickup), etc. Anything and everything related to one's condition can be added up; or so I've been told by my CPA.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:49 am 

Thank you all for the responses! I use neat scanner for my receipts and I have kept track of everything. I am just nervous about asking for it. I know I shouldn't be.

I know it is only an issue if I get audited but if the IRS sees a 33 year old claiming that much medical, I am sure they will probably take a closer look. Therefore, I would rather have it just in case, in the same way that I keep all my receipts for 7 years. I don't want to be playing catch up. I would rather be prepared to just hand them my files.

Has anyone else asked for a letter of medical necessity? And is that all I need? I think prescriptions are just for Medicaid or insurances that cover diapers. I just want my ducks in a row. THANK YOU!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:05 pm 

I asked him for a letter of medical necessity and he agreed to mail it to me. When he asked for the details of how many diapers (I called them briefs) I said 3-4 and he was upset and wondered why I don't seek Botox or PTNS or intersim. He agreed the less drugs the better after we discussed vesicare and mybertiq not doing much for me.

I don't understand why he was shocked I use so many briefs. He even said the urinalysis showed my bladder to be extremely over active... Did he really think I would be going to the bathroom 18-25 times a day? My job won't allow it.

We agreed to meet in 6 months to just keep checking and to see if I want to pursue more aggressive treatments. I told him, after 10 years, I doubt it.

So I will have my letter if I get audited. Thanks all!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:47 pm 

I've never asked for one. I just add supplies in with all my other medical expenses, but I doubt I'm very high risk for audit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:28 pm 

Honestly, I dont think 3 or 4 diapers is all that many for someone who is moderately to severly incontinent. I wear full briefs all the time, even htough i have some control because i never know when I will have an episode, or how much urine it will be. One thing that does concern me is that some days i do go more than 4 hourss without urinating, either in the toilet or in the brief.. Perhaps its's due to lower fluid intake.. or its the kidney stone blockiing things up.. I will have it removed soon enough. I have not had any sharp pains as of late. and I still urinate at least once a day. Actually.. when I finished the work day today.. i experienced a flood.. So i am still producing urine, and exceting it.. I think as long as I'm doing that, i don't have to worry about having to cath.. at least i hope not!.

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:22 pm 

Between medical expenses, mortgage payments, educational expenses, Dependant deductions and credits, and small business expenses and losses; my effective tax rate last year was -2.5%.

Turbo tax estimated my audit danger as moderate to high, but I still didn't get audited. I don't think it's all that rare for a 33 year old to have medical expenses, you should be fine.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:40 pm 

Always expect the worst, so surprises are pleasant :). I have my letter so I am set even if I do get audited.

Plus, you can get audited within 7 years of a current tax year, so even if you haven been hit yet, they still can in the future. So I keep all receipts for seven years