www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:08 am 

I would accept your wife's suggestion. She is supporting you and looking for a solution. I changed my underwear to underwear where the central section has pul protection on the inside. As pad I use Hartman Molimed for men protect (not the 'light' version). Since then I had no issues anymore during the day. It gives me a feeling of freedom and take away a lot of stress! Nobody can see it, and I know I can rely on it. I use briefs too, but that's on days when I have an increased urgency during the day and when all drives me crazy. At that moment I step up the protection to be in control again. My wife supports me and even complimented me that I seem to have found a balance. It doesn't give her any stress, and that's very important as well !!
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:26 am 

Thank you everyone. Question: Is a single Molimed or Depend pad/shield capable of being worn for an entire day? I was cost pricing this out at Northshore Med and:

Depend pads and shields 31 and 43 cents each (case price).
Tena for men guards 62 cents each
Prevail guards for men 34 cents each
Attends guards for men 62 cents each
Molimed are available in the U.K. for 57 cents each and I don't believe that are available in the U.S.

Northshore brand briefs 99 cents each
Tena Ultra Briefs 57 cents each
Tena flex 89 cents each
Attends breathable 58 cents each
Abena delta form 85 cents each
Dignity 60 cents each

If I needed 2 a day either because of capacity or the stickiness doesn't hold (or whatever), I'm not far from the cost of one diaper per day and in some cases over. I used Tranquility briefs for a couple of days after my surgery last summer. The slimlines were too cheap to make it through a day but the ATN would have. I'm not wild about a plastic product like the ATN but I could shop around and get something else.

So the question is, how well to guards stay in place?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:29 am 

I should add that I did try a sample of Abena pullups that Northshore sent me. The 3-4 inch high waistband felt kinda weird and I see not purpose in such a fat waistband.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:00 am 

bobcooper is spot on you need to cherish the support your wife is giving you it is priceless!

As far as wearing the same diaper all day it is never a good idea have a look at the below link that will give you some excellent advice and help in particular I found the one about hygene invaluable.

As far as cost is concerned life is about sacrificing and being incontent is no exeption I have given up on those treats I once enjoyed and put the money towards obtaining the best protection that heleped me live a fee and better life. Don't just go with one source shop around even look at auction sites that people use as this can reduce the costs down a lot.

When I started out I contacted loads of places to obtain free samples and eventually settled with Attends that work for me. We are all different so it is a bit or trial and error wearing waterproof pants helps with this process until you are happy with the protection that workes for your lifestyle.

I change on average 3-4 times a day and always carry supplies in a manbag I now carry.

http://www.incontinentsupport.org/primer_index.php

Hope this helps.

Greenbank

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:37 am 

Thank you BobCooper. Since I am only dribbling after urinating in the toilet and I was expecting keeping the same diaper (assuming that is my choice) on all day as I assume a little baby powder will absorb sweat and I wouldn't likely ever come close to saturating the diaper. My question is really this. If because of either saturation or the adhesive strip doesn't hold and so I change the pad for comfort, is using a pad likely to be more bother or expense than a diaper, assuming that the diaper doesn't need changing (just throw it away before bed, as I don't need nighttime protection). If a pad/shield was constantly needing readjusting I would go nuts.

Regarding my wife, I do cherish the unconditional support she gives although I don't see the big deal about washing my underwear. I do see her point about wetness showing through dress clothes. She's embarrassed and I get that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:00 am 

gtrudeau88 wrote:
Thank you BobCooper. Since I am only dribbling after urinating in the toilet and I was expecting keeping the same diaper (assuming that is my choice) on all day as I assume a little baby powder will absorb sweat and I wouldn't likely ever come close to saturating the diaper. My question is really this. If because of either saturation or the adhesive strip doesn't hold and so I change the pad for comfort, is using a pad likely to be more bother or expense than a diaper, assuming that the diaper doesn't need changing (just throw it away before bed, as I don't need nighttime protection). If a pad/shield was constantly needing readjusting I would go nuts.

Regarding my wife, I do cherish the unconditional support she gives although I don't see the big deal about washing my underwear. I do see her point about wetness showing through dress clothes. She's embarrassed and I get that.

gtrudeau88

In terms of the dribbling after you have been to the loo if you run your fingers from the base of the bottom to the base of the man bits it can stimulate extra urine flow.

If you are using pads you will need good compression/stretch briefs to hold the pad securely in place as this will avoid the pad from slipping etc. One thing to note is that you will need to take into account how active you are and if this will cause the protection to move, in my situation this persuaded me to go down the diaper path.

See the link below as it will help with the powder question.

http://www.incontinentsupport.org/chap6.php

Greenbank

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:14 am 

I agree with Greenbank, try obtaining a lot of different samples for free. This way I got a feeling about the performance of the material and if I liked it or not. I can only tell you that on an average day the Hartmann pads last for the whole day, no issues with the adhesive strip. It's a personal preference, person but by person.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:04 pm 

From what I'm hearing it soundslike a pad (guard or shield) is what you need. To wear a diaper (pull up or tape on) would be overkill. To wear the same diaper even if it is not that wet would get very uncomfortable. You will need to change whatever you are wearing at the least twice a day. The pads are made for your male parts. It will conform and stay where it needs to be.
One thing that has not been brought up is you will need to position your parts in a way to get the most out of your pad. Yes, things will move but the main time you leak is just after you visit the restroom. You will need to point your penis straight down so any leaking will go to the center of the pad. It should take a little bit for your penis to move where it may not leak on the pad but by that time, unless you leak all the time you should be safe.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:25 pm 

I got samples in the mail and here's my report:

Depends guards - Wearing one as I type. Not real comfortable but not horrible. The part in between legs is as thick as a brief. There's a plastic backing so I worry about my equipment getting a little too hot. Given the width of it versus the width of my underwear (boys size remember), I don't expect the padding to shift much but by the same token, I wonder about "me" staying in position. Now that I've been more concious of my issues, I have noticed the rare drip occurring unrelated to recent bathroom use.

Northshore brief - Wore just one an entire day yesterday from daybreak until bedtime, through a desk job and my very active 2nd job. Padding far more than I needed as the wetness strip only changed in one 1/2 inch spot. Got more and more comfortable as the day went one, I presume due to brief stretching. Able to pull front down to use toilet. Had to refasten/retighten tabs periodically. Tapes lasted whole day. I think I would have been sweating bullets if not for baby powder.

To try later on:
Northshore guards
Depends shields
Dignity brief (much thinner than Northshore)
tena flex maxi brief (much thinner than northshore)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:21 pm 

Just a comment. The Depends guard holds 9 oz and the brief I sampled holds 27 oz. No wonder the Depends guard feels as fat or even more fat than the brief. it holds 1/3 of the brief in a much smaller surface area.

I note that the guard itches the inside of my left leg. i think its because the underwear always moves some and so the plastic layer of the guard rubs against my leg periodically.

Lastly the Dignity briefs definitely don't fit to the manufacturer's size. Runs much smaller than they should. Throwing them away.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next