www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reusable cloth pads?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:39 pm 

Hello all.
My dribbling problem persists. I have talked to my GP and she determined my prostate is enlarged and she had me try 2 different kinds of medication. No change in the dribbling and some strange side effects that I will not go into here... I bought some underwear from Speciality Underwearworld.com and have used then with success. I have bought and gone through a couple of bags of Tena male guards and a few other brands as well. The Tenas seem to work best for me even if I am not using anything like the full capacity of the guard. Another issue I have with disposable pads is the pad seems to get scratchy or abrasive to me after it has been wet. I guess it rubs me the wrong way... So this brings me to a question to ask of other people here. (Maybe guys specifically because we are built a bit different.) I bought two yards of cotton diaper cloth and a yard of PUL. The idea is that I would have a local seamstress make me reusable pads using the Tena pad as a pattern. Then I could use these in regular underwear. I realize that I could probably buy lots of disposable pads for the price of having these made. But I feel I am wasting the pads for the little bit of a problem that I have. I don't flood. I don't have a large loss of urine throughout the day. Just little dribbles on and off throughout the day. Enough to spot my pants when I wear regular underwear. The downside will be the up-front cost, and I have found that wearing something with a waterproof front does make me perspire more in the crotch area. But the disposable pads and the special underwear do that also. That is what powder is for.
I have been to a Urologist and am scheduled to have urodynamic testing done later this month. (Oh boy! Stick tubes where the sun never shines!) Maybe this will shed light on my problem. But until then, does anyone have any experience with washable pads for light incontinence? I have not seen anything on the market similar to what I am having made. I have seen pads that run front to back and pads that do not have a waterproof backing. Neither really seem to meet my needs. Anyone else have ideas?
Thanks for the listen.

ScottK

Post subject: Re: Reusable cloth pads?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:14 pm 
Admin

Hey ScottK, I think you are on the right track having some washable ones made up, even with the cost it will pay for the investment fairly fast. I have never looked at what is on the market for men's dribble issues, unfortunately my problems are bigger then that on most days, but some company has to make them... will have a look around and see what I can find, :) Puffy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:21 am 

The reusable pads I have found are usually abut 4" wide and long. Or slightly hour glass shaped to go between the legs. So we will see.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:30 pm 
Admin

That is about all I found yesterday looking around, nothing for men that is shaped like the Tena guards. Lots of underwear with the waterproof insert, but that is about it. May be best off configuring your own if you have the materials already, Puffy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:18 pm 

[quote="Puffy Pants"] Lots of underwear with the waterproof insert, but that is about it. Puffy[/quote]

Maybe you have found something I haven't...
What I have tried:
Salk Health Dri pants
Wear Ever (not good)
Specialty Underwear World underwear (with waterproof lining up front)
And I have some compression shorts I bought at Wall M*rt to use with disposable pads. Has been VERY hot with those this summer...
And of course I am looking for something better...

Scott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:14 am 
Admin

No, I have not found anything really any different, mainly the washable underwear for men, and most sites I hit were overseas, NZ and Australia... Puffy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:05 pm 

Darn.

Here is hoping the pads I am having made will do what I need them to do.

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:05 am 

The cost will become a savings in less than a couple months. The guards you make may last for years. Good luck with it. I hope it works well for you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:08 am 

First pads I had made work ok. But there is room for improvement. Guess what? I am not "flat" down there! So pads Mk2 will be sort of pouch shaped so there is room for my, ummmm... "Junk" :lol: Meanwhile I will continue to use disposable pads which cause my problems by the woven material on the face being scratchy to me when it is damp. That gets uncomfortable after a while. And while the cloth pads will leave me being felling "wet", I have found that I prefer that to the disposable pad rubbing me the wrong way. The search continues.
Hey, another question... Anyone know of a waterproof fabric that will stretch and give like cotton underwear?
Scott

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:41 am 

Scottk

Yes there are waterproof fabrics that will stretch.
Look on Google type in what you ask for there are many sights to look at.
When I wanted some waterproof fabrics that will stretch I went to an awning shop they had it. I believe it was nylon with Urethane backing.

Don’t know if this helps or not.
2lyle