www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:08 am 

I have a pair of the Kins terry and plastic pants and they are joined only at the waist band which facilitates laundry and especially drying them.

Still, I recommend separate plastic pants. The sweat pants over the disposable and then plastic pants sounded pretty good and I'm glad it worked out.

I think we all went thru the reluctance to wear protection phase at one time or another. But if he's accepted the diapers, then plastic pants should be no big deal and once he experiences the comfort of waking in a dry bed he should be "sold" on wearing the plastic pants.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:32 am 

Hello great weekend and some sleep finally. He's getting used to the pants pretty fast. We went shopping together yesterday. 1ST outing for him since he came home, besides dr appts. He did ask i not put a pad on his wheel chair though. No leaks so that went well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:58 pm 

Puffy Pants wrote:
If there is only urine involved in his issues, then the external catheter system may be an alternative, many on here use it with success, including myself when I don't want to fuss with a diaper! :lol: Glues on "down there", connects to a collectiion bag and is not too difficult to figure out, may be worth a look? Puffy

That's the best suggestion I think. I've been using that system for years and years and and no leaks at all. Try going to the Coloplast Website as one can order samples there to try out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:20 pm 
Admin

Good to hear you get good success out of this system wheels... I do as well, but others have had plenty of problems. It's all in the skin prep and fit, after that is it all good... :-) Puffy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:49 pm 

Puffy Pants wrote:
Good to hear you get good success out of this system wheels... I do as well, but others have had plenty of problems. It's all in the skin prep and fit, after that is it all good... :-) Puffy

I think it is down to getting the right product but what helps, as well, is that for people like me, sat in a wheelchair all day, the legs aren't moving and disturbing the 'plumbing'. Also, I was doing this stuff before disposable nappies arrived in the UK so had no choice but to get used to sheaths (external catheters in the USA). Of course, the fact that we are provided with them by our health service helps too!

I use Manfred Sauer's sheaths which are made in Germany and have a better range of sizes than some. Bard healthcare market them as their own I have noticed and that is where you will probably find them in North America.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:44 pm 

I was looking into the condom caths. They would be an alternative when he is rashing. Still will need a diaper for BM though. How are the caths for at night. Does the line get tangled? The contour liners came in too. They helped but the sweat pant still gets wet some.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:22 am 
Admin

The line is not really an issue, unless he tosses and turns alot, I clip mine to the bedside sheet with the clip they come with, and it not a problem all night. Could use a diaper or a cloth all-in-one along with it for the #2 issue! Puffy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:57 am 

Diane,

I've been wondering about the bowel problem. It is a problem that affects anyone with paralysis but it ought not to be an issue at night. I've spent 30 years (as of yesterday) paralysed and have only leaked stool a couple of times.

Have you got your husband on a bowel routine of emptying each day? I've done various things in my time but typically one can use suppositories at a regular time each day to empty the bowel and the bowel will get used to emptying at that time and ought not to leak at other times. Mini enemas are an alternative to 'get things moving'.

For you and him, getting a bowel routine and avoiding leaks is really important so you might want to get medical advice on this as getting it right makes life much nicer for both of you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:55 am 

Here's a bit more help on the bowels and bladder care taken from the Spinal Injuries forum - a UK based charity run by spinal cord injured people.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:58 pm 

Hello he usually has his BM in the afternoon. Thankfully he doesn't have nightly BM'S. He also takes a fiber sup daily.