www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cystoscopic exam
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:20 pm 

Recently my urge incontinence has been getting worse, and my GP has referred me to a
urologist because she thinks that I should have a cystoscopic exam and that I need to have a
closer examination of my prostate. A few years ago, I had a cystoscopic exam which was
extraordinarily painful even though it was performed with one of the new flexible
cystoscopes that the urologist I saw at the time said would not produce much discomfort.
LOL! I'm wondering what the experiences of other men in the group have been with
cystoscopic exams. Should I request that they put me under a general anesthetic or deep
sedation? Or will a local anesthetic be enough? :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:47 am 
I have had 5 cystoscopies in the past 5 years.

The first one was done during a procedure while I was already under a general anesthetic, and I was glad because I had read all sorts of scary stuff on the web...

The second time was in the urologists office, and he uses a rigid scope. He started with a catheter that had the lynocain (like Novocain, a jelly) and while I did feel the catheter a little, he used a very narrow one and it did not hurt (purpose of the catheter was just to smear the numbing jelly in the urethra).. I did not realize how fast the numbing worked. He started the scope in right away, but I was completely unaware.

The next time I was not worried, and it was a surprise that he was already in past my prostate before I had any idea he had started.

Now I do not even worry about it.

You should not have any problem having this done with just the local anesthetic (jelly). It works great and you will not feel a thing. Wierdest part is you can feel your bottom getting wet if they use the kind of scope that flushes saline through during the exam.

The doctor is very discrete and it was not embarassing.

They nurse normally gives you an antibiotic pill (like Cipro 500mg) and a little red pill tha makes your urine turn bright yellow -- it actually has medication that helps to relieve any post-procedure stinging. It is also normal that you may have a little bit of bleeding (it will not hurt) for a few hours afterward (just a few drops). If you have a male pad to wear afterward it will save you from any stains. It all washes out anyway.

Robert.

Post subject: Scope
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:37 pm 
I had the cystoscope procedure two years ago. The nurse inserted a dose of numbing jelly into the urethra before the procedure. The flexible cystoscope was inserted after about 5 minutes. I was disappointed that the scope was a direct view type, not a video that I could view with the urologist. As the scope traveled the length of the urethra (about 15") I felt the end push into the bladder but had no real pain.

The first time I urinated after the procedure I did feel a twinge of pain as urine flowed over tissue slightly abraded by the scope.

I've been cathed a few times since then without any numbing. No problem and no pain. Don’t worry about the procedure.

Post subject: Re: Cystoscopic exam
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:33 am 

I have has 4 cystos. I have never had any pain except going to the bathroom after it!