www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:54 pm 

I suspect we won't get Kimberly-Clark to produce a premium diaper. However, the previous person who posted to this thread noted that they would like to be able to buy better diapers from their local WalMart. You can order Abena M4 and L4 diapers from Walmart's online system and pick them up at the store. I do this regularly and have found the prices close to what I can get from Amazon. You will pay local sales tax.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:20 am 

Noe wrote:
So, I understand that many in this forum have had negative experiences with KC products. But from my point of view, Depends work very well for guys who have mild to moderate incontinence, as I do. There is a reason that this product is available in every Target, Walmart, and pharmacy in the U.S. For many men, it works pretty well.

There are other reasons they're on the shelf in every one of those stores. KC is a huge producer of a wide variety of products. They already have distribution services and contacts with these stores for a wide variety of other things. Regardless of what they produce for the incontinence market, they're going to shelf space. They also have a huge marketing budget, and the average consumer (remember that a lot of the consumers are actually caregivers, and not users) and stock manager doesn't know what the other products or options are. KC also have the ability to produce at lower relative prices because of the volumes they deal in.

The power of the parent company gives those products a huge advantage, regardless of how effective they are. That said, I recognize they work for a lot of people. I also training that how popular they are is not proportional to how effective they are.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:00 am 

MSUSpartan wrote:
Noe wrote:
So, I understand that many in this forum have had negative experiences with KC products. But from my point of view, Depends work very well for guys who have mild to moderate incontinence, as I do. There is a reason that this product is available in every Target, Walmart, and pharmacy in the U.S. For many men, it works pretty well.

There are other reasons they're on the shelf in every one of those stores. KC is a huge producer of a wide variety of products. They already have distribution services and contacts with these stores for a wide variety of other things. Regardless of what they produce for the incontinence market, they're going to shelf space. They also have a huge marketing budget, and the average consumer (remember that a lot of the consumers are actually caregivers, and not users) and stock manager doesn't know what the other products or options are. KC also have the ability to produce at lower relative prices because of the volumes they deal in.

The power of the parent company gives those products a huge advantage, regardless of how effective they are. That said, I recognize they work for a lot of people. I also training that how popular they are is not proportional to how effective they are.

Very True! When I was young and Attends were owned by major Corp I use to be able to see them on shelves everywhere! and were my go-to product!

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:59 pm 

Proctor and Gamble used to make attends, but sold them to Paper-Pak. They signed a non-compete, and couldn't make adult incontinence products for a long time, but they recently introduced always discrete underwear.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:18 am 

Perhaps I don't know enough about the subject matter, but I "assume" the market group everyone is talking about is from a waist size starting in the mid-teens to mid-20 or high 20 inch waist. A diaper size that would address the market sector for children ranging in age from say 5, or 6 yrs of age to early teen's. I may be wrong, but I "think" manufactures of adult sizes offer small size starting at, or near the size of 28-inch waist and go up in sizes from there. Admittedly, I'm a bit confused about what waist size diapers we are talking about here. I have no idea how many manufacturers make diapers that address the needs targeted to fill
the needs (no pun intended) that addresses adolescent size diapers.

I am sure, Adam (owner of NorthShore) probably knows a thing or two about market demand for adolescent size diapers. I'm in total agreement with the comments made by "Don". Retail brick and mortar stores are concerned about many things and keeping the inventory turning is one of those important things if they are going to stay in business. Again, I may be wrong, but I have to think market demand for adolescent size disposable diapers is "low" or slow selling at best so your brick & mortar stores may have very little if any selection at all available for purchase and carry out.

I have to think the best source for purchasing these special need diapers will be online for the largest available selection.

I hope my comments were helpful.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:15 pm 

Don wrote:
There are youth diapers out there. I have a special needs son that used to wear Abena brand youth products. They’re just not sold in most stores. You have to order them from pharmacies or online retailers because the market may not be large enough for grocery stores and such to carry them. It has to be economical and make financial sense to the retailer to carry said products on their shelves. The Store manager will ask herself/himself if they carry the larger products for older youth as described if they’ll be able to move enough product to justify the means. Or will the inventory sit on the shelf and rot. Excess inventory is expensive to carry. The algorithm’s for demand planning can be rather complicated and there are many questions that need to be answered before a retailer goes all in. Losing money is bad for business. Also, there are many diaperbanks out there. I think I read on north shores blog once that they frequently donate to them. Also, if you come up with an idea that has not yet been fulfilled, apply for a patent. Then you own it. I don’t believe you can do this with youth diapers as you’d have to find something that sets your idea apart from every other manufacturer. What makes your product/idea different? Otherwise, as noted above, other companies can capitalize off your ideas. I can understand where KC is coming from. It may not be in their models to offer such product. If they feel that niche is not something they want to get involved in then so be it. Their general target market seems to be centered around lighter incontinence products that they can sell cheap to as wide a population as possible. And they’re pretty good at it and move a billion dollar business. Their name is synonymous with adult incontinence products. Depends. Instantly recognizable. That’s exactly what they want. They essentially own their market. They are not out to compete with companies like Abena. Abena, Molicare...all the brands many of us rely on are a whole different target. Different niche. People who suffer from major continence issues and heavy bladder and bowel leakage probably aren’t looking to KC. That’s not the way the company appears to be going. There are other companies that are more interested in the products we rely on and for the most part meet our needs. You just generally have to purchase them from other vendors than your local grocery store here in the states.

That's all well and good, but what about parents that want "a pullup not a diaper next size up from goodnites" or the ones that don't fit in between Pampers size 7 and goodnites XL. Yes there are youth briefs, but the problem is lack of knowelge, and the fact that you have to buy them in bulk. If you were a struggling parent living from paycheck to paycheck, you would balk at the 60 dollar and up price tag for online youth diapers. Some families cannot afford to spend all that money all at once despite it being cheaper than buying a bag at a time from stores in the long run. They can only afford the amount that is in their account. They may be only able to afford a few bags per trip, not an entire case. Also, did you notice that the online retailers that do carry youth products don't also cover shipping? that extra 10 dollars means all the difference to struggling familes.
Don, I see where your'e coming form, but you don't know the whole picture. Also, what if families don't have access to the internet and don't qualify for medicaid?? what then? Yeah there are special needs families who can't afford a computer you know. I realize the market may not be sufficient to justify costs, whichi s why im considering starting a nonprofit diaper company where distibution in stores is cost effective because the store companies are compensated by the generous donatitions of individuals who care and WANT to see bigger sizes in stores for kids with special needs. That is all.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:47 pm 
Admin

I think your cause is noble. It would be good if you could pull it off. I just have some things for you to think about. And there are many more. You want to start a diaper company that specializes in only youth pull-ups of a limited size. Your eggs are all in one basket. Your risks are incredible. Are you selling your pull-ups? Non-profit? Where does the money go? Are you giving away your inventory to needy families? That would be great but how would you pay your bills? To run a manufacturing facility capable of supplying U.S. stores, even regionally would be a massive logistical operation. Companies like that take a while to build if you’re really good at what you do. It won’t happen overnight. Where are you going to get your capital from? Banks? Their going to ask you all these questions and a hundred more before they even think of investing in you. To start a manufacturing company capable of creating enough product to meet demand would be pretty intense. And expensive. You can’t grow money. You’ll have some serious bills to pay. You’ll need employees. Are their paychecks guaranteed? Are you relying on donations to operate your firm? That too would be a massive undertaking. Also, shelf space in stores is at a premium. Store managers probably won’t want to carry your product if they think by chance they won’t be reimbursed by donations. Not when they can put something in its place they can make a guaranteed profit from. The goal of a business is to make money and satisfy stakeholders. Non-profits have operating costs too. You have to be able to support your firm and answer all the questions you’ll face. There will be lots. If you don’t have a solid plan, your firm won’t make it. You have to plan for everything. Be flexible. Is it possible? Potentially, but the risks are huge. Your investors (like banks unless you have the cash to operate this endeavor), will want to know how you’re going to handle all the challenges that come your way. They don’t want to risk losing money. Even with your assets as collateral, all that depreciates. If your non-profit doesn’t make it, banks won’t get all their money back. They will protect themselves. Like I said, I’m not knocking your idea. I think it’s great. But it is incredibly risky.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:09 pm 

Don wrote:
I think your cause is noble. It would be good if you could pull it off. I just have some things for you to think about. And there are many more. You want to start a diaper company that specializes in only youth pull-ups of a limited size. Your eggs are all in one basket. Your risks are incredible. Are you selling your pull-ups? Non-profit? Where does the money go? Are you giving away your inventory to needy families? That would be great but how would you pay your bills? To run a manufacturing facility capable of supplying U.S. stores, even regionally would be a massive logistical operation. Companies like that take a while to build if you’re really good at what you do. It won’t happen overnight. Where are you going to get your capital from? Banks? Their going to ask you all these questions and a hundred more before they even think of investing in you. To start a manufacturing company capable of creating enough product to meet demand would be pretty intense. And expensive. You can’t grow money. You’ll have some serious bills to pay. You’ll need employees. Are their paychecks guaranteed? Are you relying on donations to operate your firm? That too would be a massive undertaking. Also, shelf space in stores is at a premium. Store managers probably won’t want to carry your product if they think by chance they won’t be reimbursed by donations. Not when they can put something in its place they can make a guaranteed profit from. The goal of a business is to make money and satisfy stakeholders. Non-profits have operating costs too. You have to be able to support your firm and answer all the questions you’ll face. There will be lots. If you don’t have a solid plan, your firm won’t make it. You have to plan for everything. Be flexible. Is it possible? Potentially, but the risks are huge. Your investors (like banks unless you have the cash to operate this endeavor), will want to know how you’re going to handle all the challenges that come your way. They don’t want to risk losing money. Even with your assets as collateral, all that depreciates. If your non-profit doesn’t make it, banks won’t get all their money back. They will protect themselves. Like I said, I’m not knocking your idea. I think it’s great. But it is incredibly risky.

This is a direct quote from a facebook conversation I had.
"Pampers Size 8 are being stocked in my local ASDA store but not any other sizes. Speaking to our incontinence nurse the sizes the NHS provide go from size 7ish to small adult suitable for mid to late teens. I have no idea what my son will use between the ages of say 7 or 8 until 15 years old. Perhaps if he sh*ts on the school floor often enough something will be done. I'm being sarcastic as I'd rather he missed school that have the humiliation and discrimination of not having his toileting needs catered for"
Imagine that was your child. Imagine if he did not have access to what he needed. Imagine being told you could only buy what he needs online only from select companies and Medicaid doesn't cover the expense. (This actually happeend to familes here in the US. Medicaid did not cover youth sizes, but only goodnites pullups and adult small. They sent small adult briefs to a 3 year old according to one of my respondents.) Imagine if you were living paycheck to paycheck and could only afford a package at a time. Now imagine if you didn't have access to the internet and didn't know about these products. Wouldn't youj want SOME option available in stores????

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:12 pm 

By the way, a supermarket in Britain acutally listend to a mom and her petiion and launched a store brand of bigger diapers. Is the United States companies less forward thinking that the British??

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:24 pm 
Admin

I’m not saying you’re wrong. I’m not saying somebody shouldn’t do something about it. I’m just simply saying that what your describing has large implications. You need to be prepared. Without going into my financial situation, let’s just say I’ve been there. I received support from family for quite a while or I wouldn’t have made it. I understand where these people are coming from. Like I said, I have a special needs child too. I’m just saying this will be extremely difficult.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next