www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plastic Vs pul pants
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:15 pm 

I think it would be useful for those who are new to incontinence to make a thread where we share our experiences with plastic and pul pants. I think of fit, durability, price, maintenance and comfort.

For me plastic did not work too well. Pul pants breathe a little, and I get no skin problems.

Let us share our experiences.

Post subject: Re: Plastic Vs pul pants
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:10 am 

Options do include:

Plastic (vinyl, PVC)
PUL (polyurethane laminate)
Euroflex - Ultraflex (polyurethane by itself)
Rubber (latex, butyl or hospital grade rubber)
NOT to use diaper covers at all.

To each his own, if needed. Just sharing what is available so YOU can decide.
After 30 years with bladder incontinence, I've tried them all. To this day, I'll
pick and choose from the above list as my personal life situations present
themselves. Being informed and being able to make choices for our protection
is key, I believe.

j.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:57 am 

My experience has been that rubber has the shortest lifespan, despite the best care I can give it. PVC works well, initially, until, even with good care, it becomes brittle and cracks. Urethane is almost as comfortable as rubber, and lasts longest. Because it is noisy, I wear it over heavy nighttime diapers. I like the nylon/urethane laminate because it is quiet under clothing, holds up well, with care, and seems to be breathable. However, even with care, PUL can become delaminated, leading to leakage.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:47 am 

Patrick wrote:
My experience has been that rubber has the shortest lifespan, despite the best care I can give it. PVC works well, initially, until, even with good care, it becomes brittle and cracks. Urethane is almost as comfortable as rubber, and lasts longest. Because it is noisy, I wear it over heavy nighttime diapers. I like the nylon/urethane laminate because it is quiet under clothing, holds up well, with care, and seems to be breathable. However, even with care, PUL can become delaminated, leading to leakage.

I've found that rubber pants are very comfortable but also prone to tearing and to developing small holes. They're quite expensive. I've been using the Kins ones and their plastic ones in the same sizes don't fit me as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:28 pm 

I haven't tried all of the various types of "plastic pants" but I have had a lot of experience with the PUL (Poly Urethane Laminate) type from Gary (trim cut Activewear for day) and LeakMaster (fuller/higher cut for night) and had very good luck with both. I have several pairs of both and have been wearing them daily for over three years and even with machine washing they have yet to show hardly any signs of wear. They can be machine dried too but I usually line dry them and I think that helps preserve them a bit. Both of these are very high quality and a bit pricey (around $28+ each) but they are worth every penny! They also have virtually no "crinkle" and actually help to muffle any crinkle sounds from your diapers. I think anyone will be impressed and very happy with these.

My only other experience is with regular "inexpensive" plastic pants and I've found them to have poor fit and the seams to come apart very quickly. I have heard that the Gary EuroFlex Urethane plastic pants are quite good but I've had no experience with them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:04 pm 

For over a year I have been using Leak Master (ACD) PUL pants over cloth diapers. Previously I had used PVC pants. In hot/humid weather and even in bed, the PUL pants are noticeably more comfortable! The only leakage has been through a leg hole, not through the fabric. I do try to have sufficient diaper thickness that they don't become saturated.

I wash the pants by hand in liquid dish soap and warm water and hang them to air dry. There is no sign of delamination or other wear. I had one pair of PVC pants tear after a couple of months.

It may be a good idea to size them so that they are not tight over your diaper.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:53 pm 

Stan wrote:
It may be a good idea to size them so that they are not tight over your diaper.

FYI... I go one size up on my nighttime Leakmaster PUL pants from Adult Cloth Diaper (ACD) Co. Upsizing provides a lot more coverage, especially over cloth, and is a bit more comfortable to wear while sleeping. Yeah, they will look a bit baggy when getting into bed but you always want coverage & performance over looks, remember, this ain't a beauty contest. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:12 am 

Greetings all!
I’m a fan of both Euroflex and PUL pants these days. I’ve transitioned away from the cheaper pants completely as the seams separate over time, they get stiff and become very noisy, and they don’t fit me real well. PUL is very quiet and seem well fitted. They are now available in many colors, which adds a little variety to my otherwise dull life.... I wear size medium in all my diapering needs (wide hips...) but medium doesn’t always seem to be high enough to completely cover my nighttime thicker diapers. Size large is WAY too large! The Euroflex are equally great as they are thinner and always full coverage, great for nighttime use. They are good during the day with a compression brief as the are noisy otherwise. I have not tried the rubber pants.
I hand wash my pants most of the time with an antibacterial soap and hang to dry in such a way that they dry inside and out. Once in awhile I’ll machine wash with colored clothes, inside a garment bag when I’m out of time. They NEVER have been inside a dryer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:12 pm 

Ellyn wrote:
I wear size medium in all my diapering needs (wide hips...) but medium doesn’t always seem to be high enough to completely cover my nighttime thicker diapers. Size large is WAY too large!

You might want to try finding some "high waist" cut PUL pants in medium size. Not as many cute colors available, so there is that to contend with. Angel Fluff will make them for you, while https://www.driwear.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=197 has them in stock.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:39 pm 

Over the years I have tried every type and most brands, what I found with the Vynil, rubber, and various plastic pants is they all tend to chafe, pinch, and make you sweat so much so that for many years I did not use covers! ...I switched to PUL fabric something like 15 years ago and most notably the Garywear and Leakmaster versions and all of the issues I had vanished! now I won't leave my home without wearing a cover! I use more Garywear than anything because they are super soft comfortable and durable I have a few pairs that are nearly 10 years old ( wash in cold water and air dry) The Leakmaster has a bigger high rise cut so I tend to use Garywear more.. but they both have the soft no-pinch breathable products... I have used the Klinerts PUL pants but the leg gathers are not as soft and they did not last as long... I have noticed that PUL fabrics in white will stain like other products but I use the Black version and you cant see stains.

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter