www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:18 pm 

I saw my urologist last week and he have me the option of trying desmopressin during the day. I tried it in the past and I got sick - bad diarrhea from it. I was prescribed to take it at night for my nocturnal enuresis but having diarrhea at night was not a good option. I only took it for several weeks.

He said that I can try it during the day since my I have more urine production and hence heavier accidents during the day. I may give it a shot one more time and see what happens.

It made me wonder whether other people tend to produce more urine during the day or at night.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:44 pm 

For me it's definitely less at night. I would estimate about half as much in the same period of time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:26 pm 

I would estimate mine is about equal day time to night time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:35 am 

I would say that I can get away with one premium diaper at night and the leaks occur because of my sleeping position and not because the diaper is overwhelmed. On the other hand, i wear 2-3 premium diapers during the day.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:25 am 

Daytime = 16 hours / nighttime = 8 hours so I think I have twice more urine production during the day. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:38 am 

Hi Mr.Robin,
I assume that you mean that you are awake for 16 hours and you are asleep for 8 hours?
I sleep 7-8 hrs a day and a premium diaper can give me pretty good overnight protection. I would need to change after 4-6 hrs during the day which makes me think that I make more urine during the day

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:50 pm 

fiacs wrote:
Hi Mr.Robin,
I assume that you mean that you are awake for 16 hours and you are asleep for 8 hours?
I sleep 7-8 hrs a day and a premium diaper can give me pretty good overnight protection. I would need to change after 4-6 hrs during the day which makes me think that I make more urine during the day

That’s what I meant with a touch of humor. There is an easy way (yet scientific) to measure how much urine you produce : weighing your diapers before and after use. Repeat the measurement for several day and calculate the mean values (both daytime and nighttime values).

Most people produce more urine during the day.

Personally I’m still a bit able to control a bit during the day when there are available restrooms close to me. I manage my daytime issues with pants and pads. So I can’t measure it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:16 am 

fiacs, most people produce more urine during the day, except possibly some folks who have Nocturnal Enuresis. Our bodies (men, women & children inclusively) produce a substance called ADH. This substance reduces urine production when we're sleeping, so that our bladders don't get over-full and void while they are relaxed. It allows people to wake up in time to get to the toilet. There's a theory that bedwetters may not produce the substance, or enough of it, and this is thought to be a possible cause of bedwetting.

It's a lot like sleepwalking. Our bodies normally produce a chemical that paralyzes our limbs when we're asleep so that we don't get out of bed and leave the house, drive, etc. However, some people don't produce that chemical, and thus they sleepwalk.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:04 pm 

I assume that is the science behind my doc's decision to prescribe the desmopressin. I've been on it for 2 days now. I haven't noticed much benefit or side effects so far.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:20 am 

fiacs wrote:
I assume that is the science behind my doc's decision to prescribe the desmopressin. I've been on it for 2 days now. I haven't noticed much benefit or side effects so far.

I’m guessing it takes some time, a little more than 2 days.
Let’s trust our docs.