www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to taped diapers :'(
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:55 am 

Hi all

Finally had a full continence assesment the other week and been told to goto taped diapers/nappies as pull ups dont fit my body shape.

I was sent out samples of abena abriform l2 large by the nurse but find Molicare more comfortable but I am not sure as Molicare is going to molicare premium elastic (2tape) and discontinuing the premium slips (4tape).

Well I am currently in pull ups until I goto respite for nearly 2 weeks next thursday and ordered my first shipment of diapers (abena) as I am not confidnet as well as they will help me learn how to do it myself as well as personal care as starting 2 lots opf laxitives at respite as well incase of bowel incidents (terrified of any bowel accidents but think I will be on this combination for a least awhile as bad constipation due to nerve issues and pain meds) as been prescribe 2 satchels of Movical daily and 2x 5mg biscodyl 3 times a week. Should I get plastic pants as all diapers in Australia are cloth backed and i tend to occassionally flood,

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:40 pm 

sj,

If bowel accidents are a concern, you might consider a GI deodorant, such as Devrom or Nullo. Ask a pharmacist what is available. Your description of your situation makes me think washables might give you more security. Good luck and keep us informed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:40 pm 

regular diapers are way better than pullups....SO much more confident in not leaking ans SO much easier to change.

if your incontinence is light enough, try a diaper like the northshore supreme lites...pretty thin and discreet but very very capable diaper.

I used to use them for daytime issues and Better Dry at night, but now I just use the Better Dry 24/7...while a bit bulky, it's just easier to manage one supply of diapers...and a few years into 24/7 diapers I'm not overly embarrassed about it anymore...if someone can tell my butt is padded up, then so be it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:40 pm 

sj:
When you do start wearing tape up diapers make sure when you are first putting them on that the leg gathers/elastic and leak guards are fully in contact with your legs in the lower and rear areas. When you first put them on and are pulling the top front forward you may think they are snug in those areas but very often that is not true. Reach waaaay back under and make absolutely sure that they are against your legs and not riding up on, ahem, anything else. Since I started doing this critical "fit check" I've had virtually no leaks, especially so when using a quality diaper like an Abena.

As for plastic pants I would recommend them, especially while you are getting used to tape up diapers. Gary Activewear and Leakmaster PUL (Poly Urethane Laminate) pants are probably the best out there. Gary's are bit more form fitting and are great for day time use and the Leakmaster's are more fully cut and work best for nighttime use. They are both a bit expensive but worth every penny.

Finally you might want to check out the "Tips, Tricks, and Finds" section found in the Board Index. There is a lot of useful information there for beginning diaper wearers.