www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This Is Me..!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:50 am 

Hi all,

So, this is going to be me from now on. That incontinent bloke..

Over the last 2 years, I've had all the tests, I've tried all the meds and I've seen my consultant so many times I think I'm on his Christmas card list..!
Last week I had an appointment with him again to disucss the way forward. I was offered either Botox or SNS implant and I refused both. Having spent a while researching both options I decided that neither suit my lifestyle so I'm pretty much going to stay as I am, back in nappies 24/7. They are provided for me by the NHS and whilst it's not exactly ideal, nor the way I planned my life on panning out, it's better than the options of botox or SNS.

Now I've just got to get used to the fact that this is my life from now on. As the song goes...
This Is Me.!

Post subject: Re: This Is Me..!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:15 am 

I understand not wanting to have the procedure as the cons outway the pros.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:14 am 

I had the Botox injections back in 1998-1999; believe me, they are no fun. You chose the right path for you. Congratulations and best wishes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:41 am 

Hi Drew,

Good for you that you've made a decision on how to handle the situation!

I'm on the same boat, also on the "frequent flyer"-list at the doctors office the last 2 years, and I have contraindications for all three available treatments.
So, me too, "that incontinent lady". But it's OK, some people have terrible migraines, we've got this and this is managable and we can enjoy life.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:47 am 

Hi Drew

Add me to the growing list of members who decided diapers were the best route for managing our incontinence issues, the risks for other options ie surgery or side effects just were not worth it to stay out of diapers. My boss is taking meds to manage one of his health issues and over the last year I have noticed a change in him concentration wise and memory I have tried talking to him about it but he feels his memory and concentration issues are due to being to busy work wise not due to the meds.

It has reenforced my feelings I made the right disission to skip the meds and go with diapers to deal with my bladder issues their not a perfect solution but will not create a larger issue due to side effects.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:16 am 

There is no wrong in finding the right solution for you! medications don't work for everyone and that is the same as procedures. The underwear you use does not define or limit you and Adult diapers are just functional underwear

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:16 am 

Your not the only person who has chosen to wear nappies 247. I too have been offered prosthetic sphincter surgery, and meds but I have knocked them all back. After reading loads of horror stories about sphincter surgery I am not willing to take the risk. I have been wearing nappies for years and to be honest, I really don't worry or concern myself about my underwear any more. I too get my nappies supplied by the nhs and I am lucky to get the support of my continence nurse who also agrees with my choices. Good on you pal, live life and enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:55 pm 

Everyone needs to make their own choice about how to manage their incontinence. After struggling with idiopathic overactive bladder and urge incontinence for most of my life, I was finally diagnosed in 2006 with Tarlov Cysts on my S3 sacral nerve. This is a very rare condition that is generally asymptomatic, but when they are symptomatic it can be awful. In that regard, I am fortunate that extreme overactive bladder and urge incontinence are my only symptoms. I was leaning towards surgery, or at least meds, but it was my wife who suggested diapers. Questionable surgical results and side effects for meds notwithstanding, my wife felt that regularly taking something that alters the way your body stores and eliminates urine can't be healthy for the long haul. I never felt pressured by her, just supported in whatever decision I made. Actually, I was surprised that she didn't have a problem with me being in diapers, as that seems to be a deal-breaker in a lot of relationships. Well, that was thirteen years ago, I'm still in diapers and really have never regretted the decision. My wife has never been anything but totally supportive, which really has made a big difference. Standing in front of the mirror this morning shaving, wearing just a diaper and my plastic pants seemed a bit surreal, but my wife takes it in stride..God bless her!

The stigma of incontinence and adult diapers is still out there, but it's improving, especially as millions of baby boomers age and take care of their aging parents. The internet has also opened up a plethora of choices. I don't miss the days of buying substandard diapers at the local drug store, and plastic pants at a home health store. I have to pay for my own diapers, booster pads and plastic pants, but at least I get to choose what I want.

Good luck to you!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:44 am 

Thanks all for the positive kind words.
My wife is very supportive of my decision and I'm slowly getting used to the idea of being in nappies for the rest of my life.