www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:16 am 

Has anyone flown in aeroplane whilst wearing protection. I am going to the USA soon and would like some feedback regarding wearing protection whilst flying. Would like to hear from others who have had this experience and could possibly give me tips, concerning going through the body scanners they now seem to have at airports these days, as I am slightly worried.
Kakapo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:25 pm 
Admin

Most important thing it seems is to make sure whatever you have on is dry, the scanners will not pick it up unless it is wet, so change beforehand if you need to. If they pat you down, just tell them the truth, and that's it, by this point I am sure they have seen it all anyway, and people wearing diapers are not that uncommon, just look at the store shelves! Not personal experience speaking here, just what I have read online, Puffy

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:52 pm 

When I travel long distances by plane, I go to the lavatory last thing before I join the TSA queue, so that when I stand in the scanner, my protection is as dry as I can make it. I have been patted down, but never subjected to the humiliating treatment some have reported. Usually the line is so long the TSA folks are prevented from spending more than a few seconds with each passenger.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:45 am 

I'll third what the others here have said: make sure your protection is dry. I recently flew to Texas, and wore a Depend Real Fit both ways. No trouble at all. In fact, in the Dallas air port they had a full-body scanner and I was able to see the image. No indication that I was wearing anything different at all. No hassle, no questions.

-RMS

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:54 am 

Hi Kakapo: Remember that body scanners are optional. You can ask to "opt-out" and then they will do a manual search.

I have "opted out" for the past 5-6 travel times and there has never been even a question as to what was between my legs. I find this option better because I can never be sure how long the lines might be and/or how wet my diaper might be by the time it's my turn to be scanned. If the diaper is wet, the scanner will pick it up and you will be subject to secondary screening.

In order to avoid that hassle, I choose to "opt out". Of course, they will have to hand search me; for me, this is a better option since they have never (ever) questioned me about my diaper.

Also, pack a change or two in your carry on! Once, my plane was delayed and we were stuck inside; my 6 hr flight ended up being 8 hours before we could get out of the plane! So "be prepared!"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:13 am 

Decent, need to accomplish something like this with mine.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:06 am 

I have had my bag searched before and the TSA agent didn't even bat an eye in the section my carry on diapers were in. She could have easily pulled them out, but just left them alone while going to another area of my bag looking for what triggered my bag to be pulled. I had my personal and work laptop in my bag and that was what triggered the search. On another occasion, my checked baggage was searched. In the discussion viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2749&hilit=+TSA that was discussed and what I found in my suitcase.

Whenever I do fly I carry a TSA disability card. It allows you to communicate with the TSA agent about your condition without saying it out loud. It doesn't get you out of being search, but notifies the agent of your disability. It can be found here.

https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files ... rd_508.pdf