www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:30 pm 

Hello,

I am wanting some advice in regards to taking an overseas flight to the USA this September. I shall be wearing protection, mainly incontinence pads. Bit worried about these body scanners i have heard about at airport security. can they really see underneath your clothes? And will my protection be revealed to the security officers. it would be mortifying if i was pulled over. Seriously thinking of not wearing. perhaps I could change into a pad once I've been through the security check. Has anyone had any dealings with this and how did you cope?

thank you,
Kakapo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:34 pm 

this has been the topic a number of recent threads here, both for flying in the USA and elsewhere. I'm sure others will step forward with their information and advice very soon.

Enjoy your visit here in Sept!

(I am a surface traveler)

John.

Last edited by john1050 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:44 pm 

They can tell you are wearing something but they will not say a word because they can lose their job if they do. I have traveled by air many times in the past couple years and the security screeners have been very professional with me at all times. I usually change into a dry brief right before I go through the checkpoint. Nobody has every said a word to me about my protection.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:18 pm 

Don't worry about wearing a disposable diaper, pads, etc., as long as you don't use any metal pins, or wear any plastic pants with metal snaps. Just go about your business as planned with no worries. :>)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:13 am 

In the past I have flown with a supra-pubic catheter in place connected to a leg bag (on one occasion the bag was half full of urine when I was checked. I had no comments and was waved through. Mind, I had the wheelchair checked for drugs though!

I suspect that the security staff are properly trained and know to expect 'embarrassing problems' to come up from time to time and so, like medical staff, they juts take it in their stride.