www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:01 pm 

I know there was some discussion on here about the briefs and plastic vs. clothlike, but I don't/can't use the briefs. I recently received an order of pull-ons from my usual supplier and found they were the Air-Plus rather than what I was using before. Is it my imagination, or are they not as thick? Anyone who has used both, is the Air-Plus as reliable as the original? Are the Air-Plus all that's available now? Thanks for any information.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:50 pm 
Admin

Zenute,

I looked on the XPmedical website under the AbriFlex pullups and found that indeed, they are a cloth backed product. I also looked at products by Attends and ProtectionPlus. They were all cloth backed. Come to think of it, I have never used a plastic backed pullup. I have never seen them anywhere, but I don't really shop for pull on garments. I am a disposable brief kind of guy for my incon issues. I just find them easier so I don't have to remove my clothing. I think the market for cloth like backing is greater in the pullup sector than the taped brief sector.

To answer your question on the reliability of the cloth like backing....I found that it feels "wetter" than a plastic backed garment. It gets cold when wet. I didn't care for it. Also, it gave me a rash rubbing between my legs. I prefer the plastic backed briefs because they glide more across my skin. The worst rash I ever had was caused by an Airplus. Since I switched to the original plastic backing, I have not had the problem since. I do have a standing prescription for diaper rash cream just in case though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:37 pm 

Thanks, Don. I've been under the impression that the Abriflex I've been using was clothlike backing all along and I was happy with it. I know I just clicked reorder on my vendor's site for the same size and absorbency. But what I got is in a different colored package, the outside markings on the pull ons themselves are different and say "Air Plus." The tear seams seem to be slightly different as well and as I said, it may be my imagination, but the padding seems thinner. I guess I'm not clear if there were/are two separate Abriflex products, one Air Plus and one not or if this is a single redesigned pull on. That's primarily what I'm asking. I've only used the Air Plus a few days so far and they may end up being fine, but my first inclination is that I liked whatever Abriflex I had before.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:10 am 
Admin

I use XPmedical for my supplies. Gary, the man who runs it is incontinent and knows his products. I'm sure if you email him he can elaborate on the issue. Gary has helped me out in the past. You may give that a try...ask your vendor.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:19 pm 

Thanks, Don. My vendor is useless for these kinds of questions and most likely will not be my vendor anymore. I did email Gary and he answered promptly.

Just in case my posts confuse anyone else, what he said is that the packaging changed about a year ago and my vendor was probably selling off older stock. I didn't know, because I haven't been using the Abenas that long. Gary says the markings always said Air Plus. I guess I didn't look closely until the packaging changed. The side seams did change so they don't tear accidentally as easily (the flip side is it's a bit more difficult when one is intending to tear them) Otherwise, it's the same product. I'm glad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:36 pm 
Admin

Zenute,

I'm glad it worked out for you. Gary has always treated me well too. Anytime I have a question, he (or his staff) are more than helpful. Take care.

Don