www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:19 pm 

Are these feasible for bedwetting problems? I tend to flood quite a lot when I sleep so it has to be able to handle a lot. So far the only two brands I've found that work for me and don't leak are the Bambinos and the Abena X-Plus. Right now I'm using the Bambinos since they fit my body MUCH better than the Abenas. They are also a bit thinner which is nice.

Soon, within the next year, I might be looking at moving out of the home in which case I won't need the discreteness that disposable diapers offer - I'll also be on my own, with only me for income, and cutting down diaper expenses (which are pretty hefty with disposables) is a good way to free up money in my budget.

Reason I ask about All-in-Ones is that I don't particularly want to deal with the hassle of pin-ons and plastic pants and all that. I just want something I can put on and take off lickety-split, no different than a disposable.

Anybody had good success with these? If so, where did you get it from? Can it handle flooding? I've read they are often not as absorbent as other types of cloth diapers. Durability doesn't matter *too* much, I could replace them pretty often and still wind up spending a lot less than I do on disposables.

Thanks for any tips.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:33 pm 

I've tried all-in-ones. I don't like them.

It's all in how cloth diapers work as opposed to disposables.

A cloth diaper absorbs wetness, but does not lock it away. What is liquid will stay liquid and as you move around it will look for places to escape. A disposable has polymer crystals that absorb liquid and turn it into a gel... it's not going anywhere.

Every AIO cloth diaper I've ever tried ends up leaking out the leg holes after the first wetting because the waterproof layer does not properly seal against the skin.

If you are going the cloth route get a regular cloth diaper and a separate pair of plastic pants. I've got two velcro cloth diapers from Bao Yun in China (E-bay), two pull-ons from Kins in Canada and a few that my wife sewed for me out of flannel and terry. They all work wonderfully in combination with a good pair of plastic pants.

I get all my plastic pants from Fetware... high quality, good price, great service... an excellent value and they offer a number of different styles and colors.

My wife prefers that I not wear cloth to bed however, because when wet they do tend to smell... which disturbs her. So it's disposables at night for me. However I do wear cloth to work a couple of times a week and they are nice to use around the house on weekends as well. Saves me from having to buy disposables so often.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:19 pm 
Admin

They do the trick for my needs at night, a liner or stuffer added to them really helps, all depends on the output. I prefer the Kin's version, a bit puffier of a butt in them, but nobody sees me in them except for me, so not a big deal. The inside cloth liner on those is not attached at the leg openings as the Gabby's are, and no loose section down the middle is also better IMO, after a year using them at night, they have paid for themselves compared to using disposables, and best of all "if" I am dry in the AM, which sometimes happens (not often enough for me!) I don't waste a disposable that never really got used, :D Puffy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:14 pm 

I'm guessing the "[b]all in one[/b]" cloth diapers are the ones that have the snaps so you don't have to pin them (as if . . .) and they have the waterproof back that come in plaid colors? If this is what you are referring to I've had a couple pair and I think you are asking for leaks if you use them. They don't have the elastic around the legs like disposables and can't lock the fluid away like the polymer material that someone mentioned. The only reason I've tried the reusables is to save money, which is significant, but I still work and can't afford the leaks. Also, I'm not crazy about the plastic sounds of wearing the reusable plastic pants over the top, especially in the hot weather. If there is a really great reusable product (for urinary incon) please let me know. I like to save money as well as the next guy. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:40 pm 

I've got a few AIO diapers and you are welcome to have them. The diaper is basically a pull-on diaper covered by plastic. After a dozen or so washes the laminated vinyl cracked and began to separate from the cloth. I think there is a company now that offers an all in one that has a PUL (polyurethane laminate) outer cover which should hold up much better as PUL can be dried in a regular clothes dryer. My biggest problem with PUL is that it is very noisy compared to vinyl pants. I use both cloth and disposables with probably 75% cloth. I used to have an odor problem with my cloth diapers as well until I learned how to "strip" cloth diapers. Every month or two I'll put my cloth diapers in a large pot and boil them in water. I do this a few times until all the residual soap, etc... is no longer evident. It is the residual stuff left in the diapers after normal laundering that worsens the odor. I also try to double rinse my cloth diapers in between stripping them. When at home I always sleep in cloth diapers and plastic pants simply because this combination offers the best leak protection I know of. When I sleep in disposables I tend to develope leaks due to sleeping on my side. If you are opposed to pin-on cloth diapers ther are velcro tab cloth diapers on the market. You'll get the best fit with pin-on diapers. If you use a good prefold cloth diaper it doesn't take much longer to change than it does with a disposable diaper.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:45 pm 
Admin

I tried an AIO once. I actually tried it for about 3 months. It was a velcro type AIO called the Leakmaster. It was the master of leaks alright. How appropriate for a name. It had a waterproof out cover and supposedly, you didn't have to wear plastic pants over it. They lied. This thing leaked out the top of the diaper every night. I wore plastic pants over it after about a few days. I had enough. They got this foul urine odor in them that would not come out and I pitched them in the trash. I have no patience for such things. I have not bought any cloth diapers since.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:41 am 

I myself have not had alot of luck with the AIO I tried them once and didn't care for them. My young friend was making her own for a time. But now is back to the conventional cloth diaper with velcro and plastic pants(vinyl) Myself nowadays still wear mostly disposables. I did the cloth thing for awhile but got tired of dealing with the washing of them :? Many talk of the advantage of being a side sleeper and wearing cloth and I guess I can see where they maybe coming from. But for me I don't have that issue. I'm more of a back or tummy sleeper.
.....................Sandy :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:31 am 
Admin

Thats like me Sandy. I'm more of a back or belly sleeper as well. I rarely sleep on my side. I wear Abena Xplus to bed and they work out good for me and I rarely have a leak. The best part is I get to throw it away in the morning and don't have to worry about laundry. The VA buys them for me so I'm not worried about cost either.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:47 pm 

I've jumped from Eurobriefs to the SecureXPlus and now I'm on the Dry 24/7 kick for the past 6 months & so far I think I've found a home with these. I sleep on my back so no leakage problems... yet! With all of them I have never been a slave to the toilet which is my goal. So far, so good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:12 pm 

Hmm...maybe disposable diapers are just best for me. I don't like the expense, but I can eat it for the convenience.