www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:05 am 

Regardless of size, has anyone done a recent comparison of the absorbancy levels of Abena's lineup? Specifically I am wondering if the "footprint" of the padding in the diapers is the same throughout the absorbancy levels.

Last time I check a few of them, I found that the X-plus (now referred to as level 4) had a wider "footprint" of padding in the front. Essentially they were using the classic hourglass print throughout the diaper, having a wider back and front.

The level 3 diapers (formerly called Delta-form) was pictured as having that same footprint in the comparison charts at XPmedical but in actuality they had a narrower padding in the front - similar to what they picture the Extra (level 2) and the Super (level 1) in their chart. When I last sent an inquiry to Gary at XP (about a year ago) he said that only the X-plus had the wider front, now, and he wasn't sure why. I think the Delta's initially shipped with a wider front but they changed that to cut down on shipping cost, or something similar.

Bottom line is that I'm looking for something under the top of the line capacity which I can wear at night and be secure in the knowledge that as a male who sleeps on his front and sides, I won't be as prone to leaks as I would with a narrower mat. I don't need the capacity of the L4 , as my enuresis has never gone past the moderate volume level (usually it's under that, but we don't plan for the minimuns, eh?).

Any help on this one?

I figured I'd ask while I wait to see if Secure Personal ever gets their Plus version back in stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:25 pm 

I can't answer your question, but secure personal care has the plus back in stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:21 pm 

SeattleDoug wrote:
I can't answer your question, but secure personal care has the plus back in stock.

Sadly, they still show as out of stock for me (size large)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:17 pm 

XPMedical has diaper comparisons on their site.

http://xpmedical.com/dtest.html

They have Abena Super (2) Extra (3) and X-plus (4)

I use the Extra as a daytime diaper when I am going to be about and active, and have the X-plus for more sedentary periods and overnight.

Post subject: Got Samples
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:34 am 

I ordered a few samples from XP and confirmed what I thought. None of the versions below the x-plus (4) have padding that extend out through the "wings", despite the image in the comparison chart showing the Delta with that feature. Disappointing. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:32 pm 

Have you considered cloth diapers with a good pair of plastic pants?

Doesn't matter what position you sleep in, you'll be covered. They are available in pull-on, velcro, snap-on and classic pin styles from a wide variety of retailers and can be as thick or thin as you need them to be. No worrying about wasting capacity.

I have several cloth diapers that I cycle through, helps my cases of disposables last longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:01 pm 

And I second Puddle's comments. At night esp. you can not beat cloth diapers. Papa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:32 pm 
Admin

I don't think any disposable diaper is good for sleeping on your side regardless of whether it has padded wings or not. I think you're going to have to go with cloth. Many of the users on here can help you out in choosing a good cloth diaper.

I personally hated the laundry with cloth and I hated the smell of the urine in the diapers in the morning. I tried stripping them and everything and could not get the urine odor out. It was enough to make me stop using cloth. Also, I could not do the pins with the prefolds I bought. My wife had to help me. Embarassing.

Post subject: Tried them, yes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:46 pm 

Yes, I've tried cloth, but for the very reasons you state, (ie it's a hassle) I typically don't use them. I don't have the time or inclination to deal with them after they're wet. I also find that I generally don't get as comfortable a fit for sleeping with cloth, and worry about leaks (yes, I'm one of those guys who usually wear vinyl pants over disposables "just in case")

I guess I'll keep looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:12 pm 
Admin

The Abena super (2) and Extra (3) are not made to be worn overnight for bedwetting. If you need a diaper for that, then just bite the bullet and go with the Xplus or Molicare super plus. Both have padding in the wings of the diaper. I wear the Abena Xplus for bedwetting and it does a phenomenal job. Sometimes, I don't wet at all and other times I only wet a little. Then, there are times that I wet alot. Either way, the diaper always holds. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have had a leak. I usually sleep on my stomach. And I always point myself down.