www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Abena Xplus
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:41 pm 
Admin

I find this to be the best diaper I have tried so far. It does everything I need it to do. And for the most part, it does not leak. The only time I get leaks is if I wet in my sleep and I'm on my side. Other than that, I'm good with it. I have a lot of liquid stool and the Xplus does a nice job of containing any BM's that I have. I have worn one for about 6 hours and it has held up to repeated wettings that come with OAB. I know of other people that have gone longer but with OAB, I pee alot. I can usually get 4-5 good wettings out of an Xplus. I can do this as long as I'm standing. If I wet sitting down, I believe that cuts the diapers capacity down in half. I belive this goes for any diaper. Its not good to wet sitting down. Other quality extended wear diapers I have tried are the Attends extended wear, and the Molicare Super and Super Plus. I have been meaning to try the Bambino Bianco but I'm a little short on cash right now. Besides, the VA provides me the Xplus for free every month. I just like to try new things but so far this is the best. I can wear it with a concealer and a pair of cargo shorts and I'm good to go out for the day. I am so grateful for this diaper. It allows me alot of freedom in my life despite my incontinence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:20 am 

I decided to give these another try. I placed an order from XPMedical today. The Wings and liners the VA sent me have allowed for some very embarrassing moments in public places. If they work as well or better than the Secure Care X-Plus diaper I will be asking my VA doctor to recommend them specifically in my prescription.

I will let you know how they fair against the Bianco also.

Post subject: Abena XPlus
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:10 am 

I ordered some of these from KCK Medical and so far this case has not had the problems with splitting that I experienced with the last case I got.

I ordered from KCK after the great customer service I got when asking to try a sample of the Abriflex Special pull-ons.

Out of all of the premium adult disposables, I find that the Abena XPlus is the most comfortable and well-fitting for me.

-Darin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:08 pm 
Admin

Doug,
See my post in the general forum on VA: Service connected for incontinence to navigate your way through getting the VA to pay for the XPlus. Its not an easy process. My doctor didn't even know how to do it. He just wished me luck in my endeavors. You'll have to talk to the patient advocate at your local VA hospital. Then talk to the Head of Pharmacy about ordering the xplus. If you need any further help, let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:04 am 

Thank you Don. I will be starting this process tomorrow morning. I have a patient advocate phone number already for my local VA hospital in my phone. I will be reaching out to the Outpatient Program Manager when I get more things figured out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:55 pm 
Admin

Doug,
You have to start with the patient advocate. Basically complain to them that the diapers your are using (wings I think...I used to get those too) aren't working. I complained for like 3 months that they leaked all the time and were really hindering my quality of life. After that, they gave in. I got 2 cases of Abena Xplus and 2 cases of Extra's (M3 and M4). It wasn't easy, but I'm glad it worked out. It has saved me a bunch of money.

Post subject: VA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:14 pm 

Doug,

Did you ever get the VA to approve your Abenas?

-Darin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:21 pm 

No luck yet Darin. My next appointment isn't until next week. I will be discussing the issues with my primary doctor again. I have already complained to my patient advocate several times, and my Urologist. Things are moving very slow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:40 pm 

It may be giving away a secret here, but I figured I'd share.

I've been getting my Abena X-plus from a company called Diapers Direct on eBay. Not many people bid on them so I can get a case of 42 (I wear mediums) for $49 or $50 with free shipping... which makes it like $1.20 per unit. XPMedical charges $58 a case and according to their website that is likely to go up by a few dollars here soon. I don't know if the prices on e-bay will go up as well, but I figure every dollar helps.

Diapers Direct has always been prompt with my orders, never a problem. They don't list a huge amount of inventory but if you keep a check on it every day or two you may be able to snag a good deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:04 pm 
Admin

Puddleguy,
My abena diapers are provided by the VA for free. But if I ever need to order some for myself, I will keep that in mind. Money is tight.