www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pull ups vs. diapers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:00 pm 
Admin

Hi decemberblues, I have only bladder issues to deal with, I can't imagine what you have to deal with, so I can only state what I have found out about pull ups. I use a Depend's mens underwear during the day, and with a snug coverpant/underwear it works, but they do not work well at night for bladder issues, they are not built quite that way for laying down,sleeping in. I also tried the Tena pull ups, found then not near as good as the Depends brand. When I tried any kind of pull up at night, all I got was leaking on the top and sides, no matter what position I was in, :cry: so I switched over to Tena Supers with the refastenable tapes, a much better fit for at night by a long shot. :D I would think the same thing goes for bowel issues, not that good for containment. The Tena diapers are quite a bit cheaper then the high end diapers, I get them on sale and a bag of 28 diapers runs me about $26. I could go to an Abena or Molicare, but I don't see the need to switch as the Tena ones do what I need at a lower $ per diaper, may be worth a look. Hope you find something that can cover your needs at a reasonable price, I have not personally dealt with Gary at XP Medical as the shipping to Canada is rather high, but if you are in the US it will most likely be much less and everyone here raves about his site and person, which says a lot... Puff :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:04 pm 

[quote="decemberblues"]I am currently using a disposable diaper for my bowel incontinence, but it is not enough protection. Can someone suggest a brand that is dependable? I really need a product that fits well around the legs. I wear an X-Large. I am willing to pay the price for a good product since I only have incontinence at night.[/quote]

I have been dealing with bowel and bladder issues for over 10 years now off and on. The Tranquility ATN is a great brief for nights. Secure X plus works well too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:32 pm 
Admin

Have you tried the Abena X-Plus?
XPMedical has them.
They are great for bowel incon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:12 pm 
Admin

I also second the use of the Abena Xplus from XPmedical. I have urinary and bowel incontinence as well and the Abena Xplus really suits my needs with no leakage. Gary, from Xp, is very helpful. He also has incontinence and he really knows his products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:37 pm 

I guess anyone that is incon and uses diapers is always looking for the perfect diaper to suit their needs. I'm a sucker for trying new products just to see if it is better than what I'm using. I don't try ever noew product that hits the market, but I try those that I think are most suitable. There are advantages, and disadvantages to both disposables and cloth diapers. Without question, I think cloth diapers are best for night. However, when it comes to disposables the Abena XPlus is still the best on the market in my opinion. The Wellness Brief, and Dry 24/7 are no slouch in their own right, but I still rank the Abena XPlus as the best disposable adult diaper on the market.

Like others here, I have also found Gary at XP Medical to be very helpful. Without question, he knows his products so I agree, anyone needing assistance in finding the best product for your needs, talk to Gary at XP Medical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:20 pm 

I would like to offer a suggestion or two based on more than 30 years of dealing mostly with bladder incon, but with periods of trouble "back there." First, a Molicare can be great if you follow the instructions to sort of mold a trough between the legsbefore putting it on. That helps for both types of releases.

This next part is going to sound bulky, but you are not putting on a fashion show, you are going to bed. Put on the Molicare to catch the fecal flow. Over that, put a cloth night time contour cloth diaper from someplace like Gabby's to catch any overflow and over that a pair of high back night time polyurethane pants from a place with the unfortunate name of Fetware. They are the only place I know of that sells these remarkable pants. Imagine plastic pants that last for more than a year. The elastic goes before the polyurethane! They never get stiff and odors do not get through them. I keep two spray bottles of Lysol bathroom cleaner in the vanity. Most of the time, the 4 in 1, sprayed into the pants, rubbed around and rinsed out works fine. If for some reason my urine is really smelly overnight, I use the Lysol mildew remover with chlorine bleach the same way. It instantly removes the odor and does not harm the polyurethane.

Why can't your Dr. do something about the very loose stools? Are you able to tolerate loperamide, the generic form of imodium? I have to take one a day to keep my movements from being complete diarrhea. Maybe peanut butter or bananas or cheese would help bind you up a bit to make things easier for you.

You do sleep with a water proof pan under you, I hope. It can save a lot of laundry in case of a night time tsunami.

I wish you success.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:15 am 

I don't think most adult diapers are designed for fecal incontinence. I think most manufacturers are focused on those with urinary issues. However, I found the Confidry 24/7 works the best for me. It has never leaked even when I've completely voided my bowels with very loose diarrhea. It is bulky but can be concealed with the right clothes and a compression garment. I've been wearing diapers every except for work for about 7 months. When undiapered or wearing a thinner one for discretion, I'm so nervous I'll leak if I have an accident. I can only relax if I know I can trust my diaper. The Confidry has earned that trust. I've finally started wearing them to work about two weeks ago. I guess the circle is complete as I am now diapered 24/7. I recently set up automatic reorder XPMedical and agree that it is a great company. If diapers become a permanent part of my life I will always us XPMedical.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:32 am 

For bowel incontinence, I recommend Dry 24/7, Tena Slip Maxi, and Super Seni Quatro. The Dry 24/7 and the Tena Slip Maxi have a plastic shell. the Super Seni Quatro has a cloth-like breathable shell but has a waterproof permeable lining. All three are available from Gary at XP Medical. I recommend both the products and the distributor. A good but less expensive diaper is the relatively new Unique Wellness Superio Signature diaper (not the original).

For fecal incontinence I look for a plastic shell, high standing internal leak guards, and effective leg gathers. It is counterintuitive, but for me I have found that some of the diapers with more absorbent mat help me to get a good leakproof seal to avoid a leak even though the total absorbent capacity is more than needed for bowel incontinence alone.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:15 pm 

If you are really interested in continuing to use the pull up style (Some of us cannot use briefs because it's physically too difficult to deal with tapes or pins on cloth) try Abena Abri-Flex, which is a highest-end pull up that I am aware of. I have IBS-A (M) I rarely have full bowel incontinence, just minor and use them primarily for bladder issues that are a combination of secondary symptoms, but I am also a woman who some days of very heavy menstrual bleeding. For the most part, the Abriflex has served me well, even when dealing with the bladder, bowel and bleeding all at once for several days a month. Use cover pants and a bed pad for extra protection if you need it.

XP Medical is good as a supplier. I've also used NorthShore through Amazon.com, which is cheaper than NorthShore directly from their own website and is often less expensive per case than XP Medical, but the price does fluctuate, so check both.

Tranquility is a less expensive high end brand. I would use them again if I couldn't get the Abri-Flex, but the Abri-Flex is better for me. Since I use products regularly but not 24/7, a case lasts me a few months.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:07 pm 

zenute directed me to Abri-Flex a few months ago. Fantastic product, and XP Medical is a great supplier.

Wetters