www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:50 am 

I am currently using a disposable diaper for my bowel incontinence, but it is not enough protection. Can someone suggest a brand that is dependable? I really need a product that fits well around the legs. I wear an X-Large. I am willing to pay the price for a good product since I only have incontinence at night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:00 pm 
Admin

What kind of diaper are you useing?

Have you tried the Abena X-plus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:08 am 

I am using a brand called "Reassure". I am wearing the super proctection full rise underwear or pull ups. I have been getting them from HDIS and I haven't been able to find another brand that fits as well as this. They feel like regular underwear. I like them because they fit and they do not roll down everytime I move. I just feel that they don't provide enough protection when I need them to. I would like to have a pull up that fits better around the legs. I don't know where to shop other than HDIS. HDIS has messed up 3 orders because the product I use is similiar to another style of pull-ups, but for me there is enough of a difference that I have had to return the orders and wait for the right order. I would like to switch suppliers since I believe that a company should not be making the same mistake, 3 times. It is a huge inconvenience. I am pretty easy to please but don't tolerate repeated mistakes. I even call in my order and repeat myself over and over so that I get the product that I ordered. I have not been able to find a store brand that fits right. I have used Walmart's brand, but they do not fit well around the legs. Depends roll down constantly and the other store brands were poor quality. If I can find a pull up that fits well around the legs, I would be very happy. I will be looking into the brand that you have suggested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:02 pm 

Hi again December,
If i read your post correctly, you say you are using a 'pull up' for your night time incontinence? if that is the case, i dont think there is a pull out there that could deal with bowel incontinence..
you really do need to find a adult diaper with tapes on so that you can adjust the waist band tapes and also the leg cuff tapes as well to suit 'you'

There are a lot of different companies out there which sell brands fromthe very cheap/ useless diapers to the high end / more expensive diapers. schoppy suggested one of the more popular choices 'albena', there are a couple of others 'molicare' and also a brand i use called euronform. I have tried the Albena and also Molicare as well, they are very good, but were very difficult to find in ireland, so i finally found euronform which are in the same catagory as moli and albena.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:36 pm 

Mike, yes I have been wearing pull up disposable underwear. In all honestly, I thought that everyone called pull up's *diapers*. I have had numerous conversations with the staff at HDIS and no one ever mentioned switching from a pull up to a diaper and everyone there knows that I suffer from bowel incontinence. I seem to be having a hard time finding people in these incontinence business's who deal with bowel incontinence. A few weeks ago, I went through an extremely bad week where I was waking up in the middle of the night only to have my underpads and a few blankets ruined by an event everynight, my IBS had alternated to D and I spent over an hour every night cleaning up everything. How do diapers differ from pull ups? I will start looking into diapers. I am the only one besides my Mother who knows that I have bowel incontinence and I don't have a problem switching to a diaper. I always felt normal wearing a pull up and I have been in the hospital 4 times since August with pneumonia and when you are in ICU they tear off just about anything that gets in the way of them doing their job and I always felt "OK" about having someone beside my Mother know that I wear pull ups. The 4 hospital visits were each a week long and I was so sick that I didn't care about anything and I did not have any bowel events, which was a blessing in itself. OK, so it is back to the drawing board :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:28 am 

Hi December,
I know lots of people called pull ups 'diapers', but the truth of the matter is they aren't! pull ups, as you are well aware of by now, disposable, absorbent underwear. you pull them up and down like underwear when you need to 'go' and you are near a bathroom.
diapers, are exactly like baby diapers, they have four tapes, two on either side, sometimes i have seen them with six tapes, but the tapes allow you to adjust the waist band and the leg cuff as well, so it minimizes the risk of leakage.

i am suprised that you were given pull ups for bowel incon.. though i know that lots of people dislike the idea of using diapers with the tapes, because the association with baby diapers, so i think there are places that you have to ask for the 'all in one', or 'fitted brief' 'adult nappy / diaper' almost by name in some places!

i hope that you are able to get some decent products that work for you, i know the problems of bowel incontinence and especially when it comes to trying to stop the bed getting soiled! but 95% of the time, diapers do work for me, but it took ages, and a lot of laundry, before i found a product that works for me.

mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:38 pm 

I just went to the local stores for products when I first started having incontinence and I just picked up a package of Depends. They didn't fit right so I tried 4 store brands, none of them fit right so I went on an internet search and I came across HDIS and I told them I had bowel incontinence and they sent a few samples and I finally found something that fit and for small bowel movements, I did pretty good. Then came the larger movements and that is when I knew it was time for a change. I will have to get my diapers from an internet store. I looked yesterday at a local store and the have some fitted briefs that have tape but they don't look like baby diapers. Are these fitted briefs with tapes considered diapers? I don't know how long a diaper with tapes would last. I guess since I only wear protection at night, I will be able to find something. And I have gotten some leads from this forum.

~Becky~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:55 pm 
Admin

Howdy

Have you talked to Gary at XP Medical?

http://www.xpmedical.com/

He is incontinent like the rest of us and really knows his business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:35 pm 

schoppy wrote:
Howdy

Have you talked to Gary at XP Medical?

http://www.xpmedical.com/

He is incontinent like the rest of us and really knows his business.

No, I had never heard of XP Medical until I found this forum, looks like I need to talk to Gary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:42 pm 

Yup! Definately talk to Gary :lol: