www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:52 pm 

I am the full time caretaker of my grandma with moderate to sever Alzheimer's. She has over the last 6 months stopped going to the bathroom by herself. Now she wont ask to squirm a little to give off the impression something is wrong and she might need to go. She just goes, without any warning.

I have had so much trouble dealing with this issue, the cleaning up, the carpet cleaning, the chair cleaning (bought her a leather chair off of CL so it could be cleaned easily), the laundry and just the overall feeling of loss of control to help her.

I have changed her eating and drinking times and stick to it 100%. Since then I can generally know when its time to go for her. She is fine with getting up and going when I take her, if she has to go at that time. I have since tried out womens depends and a generic store brand. They however did not provide enough protection as she leaked out pretty bad. I want a cloth diaper as a good back up incase I take her and she doesnt go, but 10 minutes later she goes (as an example)

She goes to the bathroom at night 90% of the time. She is a side sleeper for sure. I have since came up with a good mattress protection plan with multiple layered protection (wish I would have found this forum and the info about this before I had to learn it the hard way myself through trial and error)

I do not care about cost. I want the absolute best cloth diaper that is the most comfortable (soft material and most absorbent). Durable and washable. I will line dry them in the sun and maybe "fluff" them in the dryer to make them softer for wear. I want a cloth diaper that is known for its ability to be waterproof and excellent for side sleepers and help prevent leakage. I would like them to be easily taken off and put back on as I do take her to the bathroom and would use the diapers as a back up for accidents. So, I am guessing Velcro or hooks or maybe some waistband type pull on. Again, I prefer this, but my most important issue is absorbency and side leakage prevention.

I dont care if they make noise or show a little under clothes as long as they are the "best." I know fit and comfort is subjective to the wearer, but she has Alzheimer's and so she cannot tell me what fits best or feels good. We live in a hot humid climate so breathability would be great if possible. Pin type diapers are out bc I would hate for her to notice it and start messing with it (not knowing what it is) and sticking herself...

I also would like to know about layering protection if that is best. So some type of filling/gauze (or whatever its called), then the cloth diaper around it, then some type of plastic waterproof pants. I am so very new to this and have read a bunch on the internet but not sure which direction to go.

From my research online ive come across these cloth diapers that seem to be "the best"... but as I am just new at this I am sure you all can steer me in the correct direction per what I would like to try to accomplish.

Leak Master Adult All In One (this one seems the best option????)
http://www.adultclothdiaper.com/PRODUCT ... All-In-One

Adult Pullon All-In-One Flannel Diapers
http://www.adultclothdiaper.com/PRODUCT ... 8Ta38SbNv0

Leakmaster Deluxe Vinyl Pants
http://www.adultclothdiaper.com/Home_AC ... inyl-Pants

KINS Adult Velcro® Cotton Diaper or maybe the KINS Adult Pull-On Cotton Diaper
http://www.babykins.com/adult-cloth-diapers.html

as far as fit - she is tiny... 5 foot tall, 95 lbs. very small legs and thighs. She wears her panties kind high, so her waist line is prob a womens 4, but she has a little bulge in the tummy (inbetween the waist and belly button- and thats how she wears her pants and panties right inbetween these areas) and in that area I buy her womens size 8-10. So I am at a huge loss as far as what size is best. I get the depends sm size and they have those high waist stretch stuff so they fit good for her as an example.

thanks everyone for reading this long post and helping a young guy take care of his grandma..... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:52 am 

60 something views/reads and nobody has any words of wisdom to chime in on my thread... guess Ill just have to do it the old fashioned way and learn it the hard way and make a few mistakes along the way...LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:49 am 

Hi bigalpha--

My only thought is to avoid the "all-in-one" cloth diapers, as they really tend to leak around the legs. Unless she doesn't wet much, they are not the best bet for keeping clothes and bedding dry.

Snap-on plastic pants may be easier for changes than pull-on ones, too. If she is cooperative with changing, etc., then regular cloth with a separate waterproof cover is likely to be workable.

Gimwet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:13 pm 

Sorry that you have received few replies on your inquirey. I appreciate your post and welcome you to the board.
It looks like you've done some good research in trying to find something for her.
I would follow Gimwet's advice is using snap on plastic pants. It will be a lot easier when trying to change her diaper.
The Babykins diaper you refered to that is Velcro Fastners is the best choice. I just bought one of their flat pre-fold diapers and was impressed with the quality. I would stay away from the all in one diapers for the reason they will not last long. With the waterproof covering already built in, washing them a lot will break down the outer covering a lot quicker than the cloth diaper itself. You'll end up putting another pair of plastic panties over the all in one diaper once it developes leaks.
Again, I'm sorry it took me so long to reply. Please ask any other questions that may come up. Good Luck!!!! ....Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:18 am 

Hi the leakmaster are by GARY who makes most of the pants you buy and are very good quality and great place to start an A1+
I would only use snap sides for day use ie easy to change when out etc.
Because if a side sleeper they will leak from press stud openings down sides
As mentioned the babykins always gets alot of +reports yes i'd go with velcro and as others have said avoid all in ones there are a couple from what ive seen that are ok? but better to save you're time/cash and get seperates.
One plus is that she is a small person so alot easier to get what you need
Try llmedico/adultclothe diaper or just do a search as these days theres so much more help/info
comco are ment to do nice pants if you're as i guess in USA.

but anyway if you're still stuck give me a shout and i'l have a look for you