www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Abena Extra
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:01 pm 

I started out with Depends purchased at the local store, then tried a sampler package from HDIS, then some other brands , and finally found out about Abena. I tried the Supers and Xplus and found the Supers were not absorbent enough, while the Xplus were so thick that not having the dreaded diaper buldge would require pants a size or two larger, and they also did not hold up that well over time - padding would slump. Then Gary at XP medical (this is not a paid endorsement for that company) recommended trying the Extras. I never see the Extras mentioned but they have turned out to be the best diapers I've tried. They use additional polymer to keep the thinkness down, while providing about the same absorbency as the Xplus, the only down side to the extra polymer is a slower absorency rate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:14 am 

ChrisS,
Thanks for you suggestion on the type diaper you have found. Welcome to the forum, too. There are a bunch of diapers out there. The only way you're going to find what works for you is trial and error......Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:46 am 

Hi Chris
I find with the X plus if I wear a pair of tight fitting brief style panties over them it helps keep the diaper in place and prevents the slump as you put it. Also I'm a big fan of plastic pants over my diapers no matter what brand/type I'm wearing :D You may want to try the underwear. If you do give us some feedback on it.........................Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:54 pm 

Hi Chris, I also wear the Abena extra during the day with a pair of Kins bikini cut plastic paints to hold up any sagging that happens and to catch any small amount of leakage that should get through, and use the x-plus with a brief cut Kins for a cover at night. No more damp bed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:00 am 

I tried Albena xtra plus fitted brief / diaper, i found them to be quite expensive and also extremely difficult to get hold of in Ireland! I ended using 'Humancare' diapers, which seem to be manufactured here in ireland, figures because they sucked!
Though i now use 'Euronform Super plus', which i have to say are excellent as far as diapers go.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:48 am 
Admin

I also like to use the Abena Xplus and Extras. They are supplied by the VA. I get 2 cases of Xplus and 1 case of Extra's courtesy of the gov't. It took some work with the VA but I finally got them to pay for them. At first they supplied me with Wings diapers. They were terrible and I had to almost knock down their door for the Abena's. I went to their office every month for like 6 months asking for them. They finally put me in touch with the Head of Pharmacy and my doctor wrote a prescription for them and that was it. Now, all I do is pick up the phone and call the head of Pharmacy and they send them directly to my door. Works out well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:23 pm 
Admin

I recently went to Sea World in Orlando with family. I wore an Abena Extra except for at night. I wore an Xplus at night. During the day though, I wore the extra underneath board shorts. I came to the conclusion that nobody can see these things. I asked my wife could she tell what I was wearing and she said no. You could not see them under the board shorts. I wore a tank top over the top of my board shorts and nobody was the wiser. I wear the extra underneath gym shorts to work out in. Around the house, you can hear the noise the diaper makes but in the gym...with all the noise...you can't hear a thing. This is such a versatile diaper. I recommend these to anyone.

Post subject: I use the
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:28 am 

Abena X-Plus day and night. At night I wear a pair of plastic pants over them. During the day I wear a pair of Euroflex plastic pants and legged brief with a pull up inside. That way I can just pull the pull up apart and dispose of it without having to carry anything in with me.

I also use the 24/7 briefs and they are just slightly more absorbent but not worth the extra cost for me. If I leaked slower they would work better but I go hard and fast and when wet they just don't absorb fast enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:04 pm 

Don wrote:
I recently went to Sea World in Orlando with family. I wore an Abena Extra except for at night. I wore an Xplus at night. During the day though, I wore the extra underneath board shorts. I came to the conclusion that nobody can see these things. I asked my wife could she tell what I was wearing and she said no. You could not see them under the board shorts. I wore a tank top over the top of my board shorts and nobody was the wiser. I wear the extra underneath gym shorts to work out in. Around the house, you can hear the noise the diaper makes but in the gym...with all the noise...you can't hear a thing. This is such a versatile diaper. I recommend these to anyone.

I too believe that the Extra is a great daytime diaper.

As far as people noticing, only a person familiar with adult diapers is going to see/hear an adult diaper. Everyone else is too absorbed (pardon the pun) in their own little world to notice. To the average person the thought of an able-bodied adult wearing a diaper is so far out in left field that they don't even consider it.