www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:44 pm 

Does anyone here have any opinions on the use of disposable briefs versus pull-ups/"Goodnites" for bed-wetting. In the Diaper Primer it mentioned that the pull-ups tend to be less absorbent than a diaper brief and I was wondering if anybody might have some experience in this area. Also,how cost effective is it to buy disposable briefs like Tranquility/Attends/other brands and line them with disposable liners versus using briefs such as Abena X Plus,Molicare, Secure X Plus,and similar brands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:19 am 

It's all about voiding volumes,I think, Colin. As a 6' 4" male I find I void quite a lot overnight and use a Tena Maxi Brief with cotton pants on top and plastic pants over that. By this means I keep dry. However, those who are smaller and probably void much less maybe can get away with less protection.

Pull-ups are not going to work for an adult like Goodnites / Drynites work for children. For one thing they don't hug the body as well and are going to allow leaks easily and, or course, pull ups are really designed for daytime.

Just what you use is going to depend on what works for you. If a cheap store brand works then you are fine. Otherwise try samples of better ones until you find something suitable. I have not been successful with liners and prefer a single brief though others seem to cope well like that. It would be something I would consider if my present arrangement started to leak.

Ultimately, it is about how serious it is for you if you leak. I sleep in the same bed as my wife and she is not keen to get wet so a premium brief and plastic pants on top. it is up to you to decide the importance and heace how much is good protection worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:30 pm 

Hi Colin. I never had any luck with the pull on style diapers for night time wetting. They just did not have enough protection on the sides and that is where they seemed to leak all the time on me.

Really, most disposable products tend to have difficulty dealing with night time wetting for men. Especially for those who sleep on their sides like me. I didn't have much luck with disposables until I got away from the Attends brands and got more into the Abena's and the Bambino's. Even then I had to contend with the odd leak every now and again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:51 pm 

Hi Colin,
Like it has been said, it all depends on how much you wet at night. If you wet just a little then there may be some pull-ups that might work. I to normally like to sleep on my sides but now I find myself staying flat on my back as not to leak from the sides.

We all have to find what works for our own personal needs. Not everyone will be the same. All I can say it trial and error. When I am in that mode, I make sure I have disposable bed protectors under me in case of leaks. I hate having to change my sheets every night.

It can be frustrating finding what works, but when you do, you will know it and your sleep will be much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:00 am 

I should have mentioned hat I lie on as mentioned by KT. To protect everything, I have a waterproof pad 2' x 3' which will absorb quite a lot underneath me at night. This absorbs any leaks though my system has meant it has hardly ever had to do so. Though this is a UK site, this http://www.allaboutincontinence.co.uk/catalogue/browse.php?product_Category_ID=130&parent=128 shows the sort of thing I use. It works well as I do not need a waterproof cover on the mattress as well so my wife doesn't roast.