www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:30 pm 

I was wondering what other peoples opinions are about pin-ons versus pull-on diapers. I've heard people say that with pin-on diapers they tend to be more absorbent than a pull-on diaper for bed-wetting,that there's more flexibility in terms of how you can layer the diapers and other things along these lines

Post subject: Pin-on vs pull-on
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:01 pm 

Colin,
Both have advantages and dis-advantages. I have a few pair of pull-on diapers, and they do offer a little bit of extra protection on your side. Also, you can always put diaper inserts inside a pull on, which I do.
The major thing I don't like about pull on's is they wear out faster than pin on diapers. They are not cheap either. About 10% of my cloth diapers are pull on. I guess it really depends on what you prefer. Both the pull on and pin on offer good protection depending on how you use them.
By the way, thanks for your first post and welcome to our forum! You'll find a lot of really nice people here! ..............Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:15 am 

I primarily use disposables, but of the cloth diapers I do have about half are velcro and about half are pull-on.

Honestly I think it comes to a personal preference. You can get a snugger (Is that a word?) fit with pin on or velcro, but IMO the pull-ons are easier to deal with. Just step into it and you are done... no fiddling around and adjusting to deal with.

As far as durability goes I have some pull-ons that are going on 4 years old and they still fit just fine. I think that depends a lot on the brand you choose.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:46 am 

I'd like to throw in my two cents worth here!

There are various pull ons now available but at one time most all were just a pair of underpants with padding down the middle. Some of the worse ones had central padding that didn't even extend from waist to waist. The best use for such was "just in case" protection as they did not hold much!

There was a good pull on diaper for awhile offered by Loving Comfort which we all feel is now defunct, inspite of there still being a web site up. They offered a pull on that was designed to be a diaper and had padding all thru the pants, sides and all. It was termed a "pull on diaper" which was appropriate, while the others were termed "pull on briefs". While it still had the drawback of being held up with an elastic waist, it would be viable for bedwetting, far more so than the "training pants" style with just a central soaker for absorbancy.

Kins offers a "decent" pull on somewhat like the defunct Loving Comfort but not as absorbant. All cotton with two layers of terry inserts that go all the way to the side seams meant the pant was 3 layers overall. I think the Loving Comfort was a minimum of 2 layers of birdseye and then offered additional overall layers of terry, 1, 2 or 3 for serious absorbancy, with the maximum offering of 5 overall layers of cotton.

Kins other offering is like most "training pants" relying on a central soaker with no real absorbancy in the sides. For my money that makes these suitable for "just in case" protection.

A big concern of mine is the pants are held up with an elastic waist that works just fine when the pants are dry but as the pants get wet....they get heavy and the elastic waist is not adequate to hold them up. Anything that is intended to get wet and thus heavier with time, I think needs velcro or pins to keep the garment up and comfortable.

Still, for overnight, I say you can't beat pin on since the prefold diaper is already well ahead of any pull on and layering can be easily managed and the thick diaper resulting can be pinned on snugly which keeps it comfortable, especially if you are a restless type sleeper and move around in bed during the night.

Stuffing a pull on pant will increase the absorbancy but if you are restless thru the night, it seems to me the extra stuffer diapers would / could shift around and bunch up and become uncomfortable. If you sleep quietly and don't move around in your sleep, then that would not be an issue.

Another factor, however, is hand dexterity. Some people are affected by conditions that affect their ability to handle pins. An alternative maybe the rubber Snappies diaper fasteners which do work well, and would let you use prefolds and stuffers to night diaper. Vecro diapers are OK, but I still feel the Velcro doesn't stand the test of time all that well. But folks who cannot do pins, and may even have a problem with Snappies, Velcro diapers can offer a decent alternative for a snug fitted overnight diaper.