www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:55 pm 

I've found that for me, with the large capacity of my bladder and the huge amount of sweating I did in a disposable diaper, that a cloth diaper is ideal. I was getting rashes from the disposable diapers because I would sweat so much in them. I live in Arizona and it's hot here. I still sweat in the cloth because of them being surounded by plastic pants, but it's not as bad.
Plus the cloth will absorb a large amount of urine in a short amount of time, versus the disposable diapers. They don't seem to soak up very fast, and I found myself using them 3 at a time with holes poked in the plastic linings so it would pass from one to the next, but even then, it would often run out around the leg openings and into the next diaper if I was lucky, or into my pants if I wasn't. I started to use plastic pants with the disposables for that reason, but why shoud I have to go through all of that if the product was designed for that purpose?
So I switched to the cloth and I've never been happier. Well, that is as far as wearing a diaper is concerned. I use the gauze prefolds from Adult Cloth Diaper company and I've been fairly happy with those. I've tried the flannel ones, but they're too hard to pin when dry, let alone if wet.
The only thing I'm not happy about is the price of the diapers, but even at over $28.00 each for the size I get, over time they're a lot cheaper than the 6 to 10 disposables I would go through in a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:53 am 

I've got some cloth... they're okay. I usually use them if I'm just chillin at the house not doing much.

The only thing is, plastic pants make me sweat like crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:51 am 

ricky,
I use the gauze prefolds for ACD too. Like you say, thet are easy to pin on, easier than flannel. I do have some flannel diapers I had made for me, but they're thin enough at the pining area where it's easy to pin.
I have some contour shape diaper made from Loving Comfort which have a terry cloth insert, and they are almost impossible to pin unless you have over size diaper pins. .......Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:27 am 

Paul Martin wrote:
ricky,
I use the gauze prefolds for ACD too. Like you say, thet are easy to pin on, easier than flannel. I do have some flannel diapers I had made for me, but they're thin enough at the pining area where it's easy to pin.
I have some contour shape diaper made from Loving Comfort which have a terry cloth insert, and they are almost impossible to pin unless you have over size diaper pins. .......Paul Martin

I know what you mean about the bigger pins. I use what they call a "skirt pin" that I get from Joanne's fabric store. They're 3 inches long, and almost twice as thick as the pins that ACD sells, but four times as strong. There's 2 types, a "stainless" looking one, and a brass colored one. I use only the brass colored ones now, because the so called "stainless" ones aren't really that. If they are worn for very long in a wet diaper, they will rust and stain the cloth.
These pins cost a little more, but they're very much worth the price to me. The ones from ACD would break off if you put too much pressure on them, like trying to keep your diaper on tightly. I won't say the skirt pins don't break, they will too, but not as easily or as often as the other ones do. I can only remember 2 or 3 of those breaking, to more than a dozen of the others, so you tell me, which ones are better?
As far as the holes they make in the cloth, yes, they do make a bigger hole, but unless you snag a thread on it, the holes disappear in the washing machine, just like the holes from the smaller pins do. I've heard other people complain about the holes and how they didn't like that, but like I said, the holes are only temporary and go away in the wash.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:12 pm 

We tried cloth diapers for a short time. My bladder is constantly draining dribbling so they got wet quick and felt kind of cold and clammy at times. Sometimes the smell bothered me too. At the time I had not yet managed a bowel program so it was really gross when I had my BMs . My husband & caregivers did not like all the washing. I also did not care for the fact that I needed rubber pants with them. It was even more embarrasing then usual I think for me. We still have all that stuff. And I'm glad we do. I'll always be in a diaper of some kind at this point. But its rare we use em. You never know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:41 pm 

I use mainly Abena X-plus at night and have trained myself over the years to sleep mostly on my stomach or back. I haven't had many problems with leaks *knocks on wood* because the X-plus provides great coverage both front and rear.