www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:47 am 

Honestly the price isn't such a big deal. Abena X-plus is $1.40-ish each... and I use 3 of those per day. If the Dry is really that much better it might be a decent value.

I'll order a sample the next time I get paid... call it the DL in me but experimenting with new kinds of diapers is something I enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:44 am 

Joe and others,
At $1.78 per diaper! I did a little math on this. Just wearing one of these at night for a year would cost $649.70.
A dozen good cloth diapers (@ $22.00 each) would cost $264.00. Add 10 pairs of plastic pants @ $12.00 each ($120.00) and the total savings the first year is $265.00. That leaves a lot left over for any other purchases.
The second year - assuming that you need all new plastic pants - would be $529.00. That alone should make anyone a DL (Dollar Lover). Cloth diapers will last 5 years or more which means $2,116.00 savings over 5 years. And remember, this is just the nighttime wearing of diapers. Papa

Post subject: Papa is a DL?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:30 am 

Papa,
I'm right on with you in your logic, and I love that you're a DL(a dollar lover). I got a big grin reading that.
But you're absolutly right. The only thing people who would have a problem with your reasoning is the washing hassle. I think it's worth 110% of the washing hassle. If I had to give up my cloth diapers and plastic pants at night, I would go mad!

From a fellow DL,........ Paul Martin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:08 am 

I received an email yesterday from Dry 24/7 stating the sample package I purchased containing 2 med size diapers had been mailed so I should have my sample (2 diapers) within a few days.

I think it was about a years ago, I purchased a package of the old style Dry 24/7, and was not happy with the product because of the sizing problem they had at the time. I'm a DL (Dollar Lover) too, lol,.... so this time I'll just spend the $10 for the sample package. Be advised,......if you order the sample pack and want 2 diapers of the same size you need to let them know when you place your order. If not, you'll receive a sample of 2 diapers but they will be different sizes.

My situation is a little different than most. The VA supplies me with all my meds and diapers (Depends) for free. I can say a lot about Depends, but I was aways told if I don't have something nice to say it's best not to say anything all. I'm not saying a word,...... but free is free so the price is right.

At the moment, I'm trying to see if VA will approve the purchase of cloth diapers, but this is not easily done and takes time. I've been using cloth diapers and plastic pants at night, and Depends with a liner during the day,....at least most of the time. When I go some place and know I will be away from home for an extended period of time, I either use the cloth diaper and plastic pants, or a "high" quality disposable. In short, I like to keep about a case of "high" quality disposables around just for those occasions when I'm going to be out and about and the use of a good quality disposable just makes more sense. As such, price matters, but it's not my only concern since I don't use high quality disposables 24/7.

I'll make a post giving my thoughts about the "new" Dry 24/7 diaper after I receive it which should be in a few days.

John

Last edited by johnstone on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:10 am 

Papa wrote:
Joe and others,
At $1.78 per diaper! I did a little math on this. Just wearing one of these at night for a year would cost $649.70.
A dozen good cloth diapers (@ $22.00 each) would cost $264.00. Add 10 pairs of plastic pants @ $12.00 each ($120.00) and the total savings the first year is $265.00. That leaves a lot left over for any other purchases.
The second year - assuming that you need all new plastic pants - would be $529.00. That alone should make anyone a DL (Dollar Lover). Cloth diapers will last 5 years or more which means $2,116.00 savings over 5 years. And remember, this is just the nighttime wearing of diapers. Papa

Some interesting math there Papa.

However, you didn't account for the soap, water, and electricity costs to wash and dry said cloth diapers. I know it isn't going to come up to $650/yr, but I bet it'd run $200.

The thing that keeps me out of cloth diapers at night is the smell. Any time I move or roll over in bed my fiancee gets a whiff of the wet cloth diapers and it aggravates her to no end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:45 am 

Yep, I have the same problem with smell - I don't like it any more than my wife does. The trouble is that terry cloth I use (in the UK there are not the same range of choices as there are in North America) is much better and absorbent, works when I sleep on my side etc. If only there was a way to get rid of the smell.

I manage OK with the disposables but need to be careful to sleep on my back and I find that hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:55 pm 

I don't know what you guys are doing but the odour is there no matter which type of diaper I use. Probably should drink a lot more water than I have been just to dilute my urine a bit more I guess.

My biggest issue with cloth diapers is that they FEEL really wet to me no matter how thick the diaper is. When I am wearing a good disposable it doesn't feel all that wet even when it is getting 'used' to its max capacity.

The most I will stretch out a disposable is 3 heavy wettings and then I need to take it off. When wearing a cloth diaper it only lasts for one in my case.

Post subject: Diaper odor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:52 am 

Just a few words on odor......

Some good disposable diapers have odor control but others do not, so you need to look for that feature when buying disposables.

I wear mostly cloth diapers and I use bleach (small amount) toward the end of the wash cycle. I know, the diaper mfrs all tell you NOT to use bleach....but I had odor problems when I stopped using bleach so I know a sanitizing effect is present with bleach and I start off with a cloth diaper that won't smell at all under most conditions on most days.

For serious social engagements, I also use a diaper deodorant which I find works very well. There are a few out there; my favorite is "Fresh Again" incontinent odor spray made by www.UncommonConglomerates.com

I like it because it has never let me down. I like its feint odor of vanilla and on those important social occasions, I choose a vanilla after shave which, of course, works in perfect harmony with the diaper deodorant as the long night wears on at the theater or whatever.

For those who don't like any scent, I'm sure there are products out there that neutralize diaper odor without any scent.

Nullo and other things you ingest to control odor are said to work but I've never taken any of them, so I can't comment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:04 am 

I use both Nullo and Fresh Again. If you use Nullo as directed you will have very little to no odor after about 2 weeks. The use of Fresh Again adds addition security towards neutralizing any odor. I don't see how anyone that is active and incontinent can not use SOMETHING that neutralizes odor.

I think of odor control as part of my incontinence protection. When I leave home, I wear protection that I don't worry about having a leak before I change, or having any odor.

A couple of years ago, I was on a flight and had a BM. Not the kind of place you want to be and have this problem,...... but it happens. I didn't know what to do.......but I didn't panic. There was about an hour or so remaining on the flight and I didn't have any odor so I just waited until I arrived at my destination before changing. I can tell you Nullo, and Fresh Again really work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:53 pm 

I am now on my third case of Bambino Diapers. I use the depends maximum in the day with a booster and nights with the bambinos, if I could afford to I would wear bambinos all day, they are fantastic, great value for money over the long run, hold odours very well...I have tried most of the big named diapers and nothing for me comes close. I dont like the baby print, my wife hates it even more so we buy the bianco all white ones. Never had a leak yet no matter how I lay at night.

My $0.02

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next