www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:07 am 

Bambinos are available direct from the manufacturer...

http://www.bambinodiapers.com

Give 'em a shot... they're worth it IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:04 am 

PuddleGuy wrote:
Bambinos are available direct from the manufacturer...

http://www.bambinodiapers.com

Give 'em a shot... they're worth it IMO.

I'm pretty sure their diapers are just a modified version of Secure's X-Plus line:

http://www.securepersonalcare.com/brief ... c-1_2.html

They have the entire front "landing zone" and I haven't seen another diaper on the market like that (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:51 am 

It is true that Secure and Bambino are manufactured by the same company... and they do look similar... but there are more differences than just a fancy tape "landing zone".

I can tell you from experience that the Bambino product is far better than the Secure product is. They use a softer plastic for the outer shell, they use a softer inner lining with larger pores for better wetness acquisition, and they use more SAP in the construction of the diaper for greater absorbant capacity.

As I've said before... Bambino is by far the most comfortable diaper I have ever worn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:52 am 

Two of our younger posters, Sociologygeek and PuddleGuy, have been posting great info on what I call "newer" diapers. I'm one of the old fashioned types that had gravitated to Molicare and Abena after these great European diapers made it into the American market place to provide decent diapers at long last....our American made diapers were terrible.

More imports came in providing us with a decent line of disposable diapers from which we could choose according to our needs.

I figured I should try some of these newer offerings and tried the Dry 24/7 when I first heard of them (thru this forum) and found, as others have, the fit is a bit odd.

I also tried the Bambino as it was offered in a plain white, as opposed to the "BABY" graphics on the original intended to appeal to the AB/DL community. I rather like the conservative plain white look, as compaired to my Abena X Plus that has more markings on it than you can shake a stick at! And for the doctor's office visits, I would much rather a plain diaper than my Abena which was "well marked" with the wetness indicator when I had to drop my pants during the physical.

I'm in total agreement with RayH that I don't need or want a wetness indicator, leave those for the institutional diapers where a caretaker needs that feature while checking on residents.

I agree, as an Abena user, that the Bambino is right up there in performance.

I also discovered Secure Plus somewhere along the road and find they were OK.....not up to the Abena X Plus but now I see on the site referenced above...securepersonal....that there is now a Secure X Plus which I have not tried, which is more absorbant than the Secure Plus.

D1git points out the similarities between Bambino and Secure....and that's a great photo (thank you very much) and I think he's right about both diapers being made by the same mfr with subtle differences.

PuddleGuy feels the plastic outer sheet and the inner padding are both more comfortable on the Bambino than the Seure. That's something to consider.

And let me close with what is news to me, anyway, that Attends....long known for poor to mediocre diapers has a winner, supposedly, in the new offering known as Attends Extended Wear Briefs (tape on diapers). So has anyone gotten into the Attends newest diaper yet?

And it'd be great if more folks now wearing the old stand bys, as I was, would try these newer diapers and provide additional input and reviews!

JoeK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:28 pm 

I have not had a chance to wear quality diapers like abena, molicare, bambino or attends w/ waistband or attends extended wear.. due to lack of funds. I've been using Medicaid-provided Tena Ultra. I have to say, they aren't bad for the kind of incontinence i have, which is moderate to heavy. Unlike some of you, i don't have complete loss of control. However, i do have some episodes and situations where a lot comes out at once, particularly in the morning before i get a chance to use the bathroom. To remedy this, i ofen wear tena ultra to bed boosted wtih a dignity liner. Strangely enough, my night control is not affected. I don't spontaneusly wet in my sleep regualrly AFAIK (as far as i know) however i have had it happen occasionally. But, the morning deluge as i call it is almost constant. So, i wear a diaper to bed anyway, because when i get up, theres little time to put one on before WOOSH!

For the most part, tena ultra works well for moderate to severe incontinence. Ive heard a lot of people say it's better than depend, althoug similar in absorbency. I have to agree. Even though its been a while since i wore depend.. Padding coverage is the same..
One question in my mind is.. Does thickness of a diaper necesarily mean more absorbency? Reason i ask is ive compared the tena ultra and the attends breathable side-by side. Attends is noticabley thicker. However it is not as wide as Tena. I belive i have found the capacity of the two to be similar, however i have seen manufacturers claim the attends breatble is more absorbent than the tena. Does anyone know for sure? I chose the tena over the attends for primary use because of the fasteners and closer fit of the diaper. Absorbency has never posed a problem. I have had a few leaks but its not constant.. i think either would have the same issue. I don't know..

main question is does thickness=best diaper and best capacity, or is it surface area? Because tena seems to have greater "surface area" in the crotch, whereas attends has more padding..but its narrower.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject: Bambino cost
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:21 pm 

It's hard for me to justify the price for these Bambino diapers. I'm currently using Tranquility at 77 cents per diaper. The Bambino medium is $1.37 each. I can use 3 Tranquility diapers and still be ahead just using two Bambino's. But what ever you like, use it. I'll stick with my Tanquility's. ......... Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:35 pm 

Paul, i never found the dual tape system on diapers like tranquility to be very useful.. thus i avoid using diapers that have that.. I guess with my limited hand coordnaiton, i need tabs that are more refastenable than that, yet still stick well.. which is why ive used velcro tab diapers, and quite successfully.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:49 am 

Hi Sociologygeek,

I don't think so......while for a cloth diaper that is certainly true, a disposable diaper is more complex in construction, primarily to provide the concealability desired by most, while providing the protection demanded by anyone wearing a diaper.

Absorbancy is built in to a disposable diaper with cellulose fluff and SAP crystals....Super Absorbant Polymer. SAP is what gells when you wet and swells a diaper out to many times its dry thickness. The fluff provides some absorbancy, for sure, and to some degree, wicking to carry wetness to other, dryer parts of the diaper.

My feelings are that SAP allows a thinner diaper that wears well under clothing but doesn't wick well since there is relatively little fluff. A diaper that is heavy on SAP absorbs a lot...but just in the crotch where the source of wetting occurs. Typically these diapers will leak and require changing while the whole rear of the diaper is virtually dry.

More fluff makes for a thicker diaper so concealment becomes an issue, from a marketing standpoint...who will buy your thicker diapers? But the thicker diaper makes more use of the diaper by wicking wetness up the back of the diaper. I see this with Molicare which I think was one of the first to be somewhat effective at wicking wetness from the crotch to allow more wear time. Now Abena X Plus provides a good balance of fluff and SAP for an extended wear diaper.

The downside to more fluff, inspite of it's comfort and wicking ability, is it is hard to keep it from clumping when it gets wet. I think we are all aware of the "useless" diapers we have tried where the padding clumps and falls from the back sheet into the crotch, rendering the diaper useless for any further wear. And the clumping and failure of the fluff padding can occur with active folks (such as bike riders or joggers) even when they haven't wet the diaper yet!

Keeping the fluff thin makes it a lot easier to keep it from clumping and falling away. The trick is to make a diaper with thick enough fluff to provide absorbancy, wicking and comfort, while keeping it in place for the duration of the diaper wear. SAP added to this makes for an ideal diaper for extended wear and this pretty much describes the Abena X Plus.

So does a thicker disposable mean a more absorbant diaper?....no, from the stand point that you can make an all fluff diaper with no SAP and it won't have near the absorbancy of a diaper with SAP.

But, is a thicker disposable a better diaper? Here the answer is a careful maybe!

So there's my two cents worth....FWIW.....<grin>
JoeK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:52 am 

I wear the Abri-Form diapers with the "fixing pants" that Abena also sells. These pants really hold my diaper in place all of the time. There is never any clumping as you say while wearing these ove my diapers. In addition no leaks either.

I have experienced the clumping when used to wear vinyl pants over these as there is no support as in tighter fitting nylon pants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:50 pm 

Paul, you do make a valid point about the price. I have tried tranquility's line of products and just wasn't very pleased with them. Agreed, sometimes it is better to use more of a cheaper product than to pay the money for something with better performance.

But I look at it this way... if I only have to use two Bambinos in a given day versus 5 Attends or 4 Abena Supers I have saved myself a lot of time, plus using less diapers means carrying less with me when I leave the house, and I can avoid having to change in a crowded public restroom or at a gas station. I'll gladly pay the extra money to forego the pleasure of changing in a tiny and filthy stall in a public restroom with a door that may or may not lock.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next