www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:28 am 
I was wondering if someone could help me. I had a hemipelvectomy (amputation of half of rt hip and rt leg) due to cancer, and I lost most of my bladder function as a result. Because I need to hold on to a rail with one hand when toileting, I've been using those disposable undergarment type of diaper because I can pull them on and off with one hand. I have not tried tape on diapers because I simply can't put them on one handed.

Does anyone know of a type of diaper that you can put on one handed? I am not opposed to wearing better diapers (these disposable underware types leak like crazy, even with a Poise pad inside them, it's so embarassing), I just don't know which type would be do-able for me without going out and buying a zillion bags of different brands. :?

Any help would be appreciated, this is such a frustrating problem!

K.M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:12 am 

Commiserations with you very awkward state. Om your case, I wonder if diapers are the right answer for you. Would I be right in saying you have to use a wheelchair? If so, you would find some drainage system that drains into a bag might work better for you.

You don't say if you are male of female. Could you indicate that and I will come up with some suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:44 pm 

How about the pullups with the velcro? I've only checked out Depends but they seems wider at the waist until you tighten them with the velcro. I would think you might be able to do it with just one hand and they might be a little tighter to prevent leaks.

Just a thought you might not have had,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm 
Thank you so much for your replies! I am a woman, and though I do use a wheelchair much of the time, if I can get my diaper-leaking under control I do prefer to use my crutches for many things. (It is good exercise for me. :) ) I did have a catheter for 10 months post-surgery, and had a terrible time with it (infections, heavy leaking no matter what size they tried). Actually, I leak a little less without the catheter than I did with it. My doc said my body just didn't like the intrusion (I got spasms constantly.)

I have not seen the type of pullups with velcro, I will look into those. I do think that having more of a custom fit would really help with leaking, especially since my body is a 'custom' type (missing part of the hip makes the pullups fit oddly).

I actually shared my dilemma with my physical therapist and she suggested we work on getting me to stand up on one leg without holding on to something. So hopefully, in the future, I'll be able to attempt a normal style diaper, but until then any suggestions for easy-on protection would be most appreciated!

Thanks for your help!
KM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:10 am 

I'd like to suggest you try what I consider the best pull on diaper pant/underwear. The Japanese pioneered the concept many years ago and still make the best product. Due to tremendous popularity with the pull on, every major mfr has started making them and many are down right poor products, for both fit and performance!

Medline Protection Plus Disposable Protective Underwear-Extended Wear/Overnight. You know you have the real thing when you see the little tape on the back to secure a rolled up used product has Japanese symbols on it! Check out www.medline.com and for buying them, try www.abaip.com and don't be shocked at the high price! If they work fine for you, as I suspect they will, you can then try their less aborbant product or perhaps the Moli Mobile or the Abena pull on product. All are good and much better than the domestic pull ons by Depends and so on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:16 am 
I've tried a a 3 different types of pull-ons and all have let me down. Leaks, leaks and more leaks. None of them were half as reliable as "basic" diapers (like say, depend), yet they cost more.

As for using normal diapers, if you're in a wheelchair, you can tape it on after sitting on it, but I've never tried, so I'm not sure how well it works. (some packages I've seen had "instructions" on how to achieve this).

As for trying standing up (against the wall), with one hand... I remember the new tena has a fabric belt thing that goes around your waist. It *might* be a bit easier to put on, although it's a bit hard for me to imagine. Absorbency/protection is that of a diaper - not the leaky pull-ons. They also offer free samples (you'll have to call the 1-800 number). Otherwise, I can't really think of anything easier.

Link http://www.tena.us/consumers/products/F ... cts/#19427

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:13 am 
Thank you for your suggestions! I am looking forward to trying different types, to see what works. I am going to order a pack of the molicare moble type, from the www.abaip.com. We'll see how it goes!

I'm so grateful for all your help! I hadn't realized there were other kinds of diapers than Depends until someone pointed me to this site. You all have given me a great place to start trying things, I can't thank you enough!

KM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:02 pm 
You might also want to try a pad and pant system like the Abena AbriSan Super. It's large and absorbent like a diaper, but it fits inside either a pair of underwear, or a pair of mesh pants so that it is easier to manage than tapes, and yet more absorbent than a pullup.

-Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:13 pm 
If you want to try different ones, some places like HDIS have big sample packs. I wish I lived in the USA like most of you seem to, there's just so many online stores with good prices and selection... Here (Canada) there's only a handful of places, not much selection and no real competition :(

Post subject: LEAKING DIAPER PROBLEMS
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:08 am 
I was wondering if you were willing to use plastic pants to help with the leaking problems, everyone has there own way of dealing with there setuwaytions and what works beat for them . but i like the use of my plastic pants as i feel more secure wearing them, and it works for me. :D :shock: