Disposables or cloth diapers? And why?
Post a reply

Flannel, Gauze, or Birdseye: What do you prefer? and why?

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:01 pm

I know that there are some that have not tried cloth diapers, and others that have used them for a long time and might want to try something different.

With the different types of cloth diapers out there (Flannel, Gauze, or Birdseye), what type of cloth do you prefer and why?

Is one type of cloth better than the others for absorbency and fit?
What type holds up best over time?
What is the easiest to wash and dry?

Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:15 pm

Have you tried the Primer? There's a huge amount of info there about the different types of cloth diapers. Look for the link on the left.

dave

Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:11 pm

Hi Dave

LOL yes I know all about the great primer that Joe wrote up.
He did a wonderful job on it and i'm glad to have it on our site. :D
Yes, It does have a lot of great info.
I was wondering, what were peoples personal feelings on what they have used?

I normally use flannel at night but during the day its usually disposables.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:29 am

Schoopy, Over the last 5 years I guess I have tried it all and still keep looking for that "perfect" diaper. I agree that cloth diapers at night are the best, I use gauze night weight pin-on. I used disposables in the day until recently and am now mostly in cloth diapers 24/7. I wonder if others change their diaper type on any regular basis just to have a break or to try to feel like something is different. It can drive you crazy if you think about it. Maybe like fashion you need to get something new every now and then. Different disposables, different types of cloth and different requirements for putting them on (pin-on, velcro, pull-on, tape-on,pull-ups, etc.) may act to distract us, it does me. Swings from plain and simple to silly or colorful, "adult" to "babyish," this to that may be how we (I) keep my sanity - mostly! For me the most comfortable are pin-on gauze diapers. Also they are the most absorbant. What has life come to? I never imagined that in my 50s I would be discussing what diaper is best to wear and use! Papa

My favorite cloth diaper

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:54 am

Hi all,
I have a variety of cloth diapers that I use. The most absorbant and comfortable are my gauze diapers. I also use flannel, and I have one terry cloth.
I've noticed when I wake up in the morning, my gauze diaper is more evenly wet that when I wear a flannel. The gauze just seems to work better. Also, the gauze diaper is so soft.
On weekends, I will be wearing flannel diapers during the day, but at night, it's always gauze! ....................Paul Martin

Re: My favorite cloth diaper

Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:20 am

Hello,

I'm new here, but I have been incon with a neuro bladder since 1986. Over the years, I think I have tried just about every product on the market and for some reson, I still continue to look for something better even tho I'm satisfied with the products I use.

For a long time, I use the birdseye cloth diaper for night use and disposables in the day. I've gone back to using disposables for both day and night and that seems to work well with no hassle of washing diapers. I guess it always comes down to what works beter for each individual.

Welcome!

Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:36 pm

John,
Welcome to the Forum. I appreciate the post. You hit the nail on the head when you said it boils down to what works for each individual. I'm really sold on cloth diapers at night. Washing cloth diapers is no big deal for me. If disposables work at night, that's great! No washing!

Also, you're so right about always looking for something new or different. Incontinent supplies are always changing with something different to try.
Thanks again for your post. I hope to see more from you! ....Paul Martin

Gauze is the "best"

Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:03 am

In my opinion, gauze is the best cloth diaper.

I lived thru times before gauze diapers were readily available for adults and flannel and birdseye were all that were available. I discount terry cloth as just way too bulky to be considered.

I wore flannel for many years before discovering birdseye diapers. Flannel has an advantage, I believe, in density....you get a little more absorbancy with a little less bulk, when concealment under clothes is important. Detractors claim flannel doesn't wash well, but I don't believe that. Modern washing machines and detergents get flannel diapers as clean as other other types.

Birdseye fabric is tough, especially compared to gauze and stands up well so is a good economical choice when you are spending your diaper dollars.

I feel both flannel and birdseye diapers when wet, tend to be uncomfortable and I just had to live with it as part of the incontinence problem....they were still more comfortable and greatly more secure, than disposable diapers. I did not mind a little discomfort when sitting in exchange for getting up and always finding the chair dry and my pants dry.

Finally, gauze made a "comeback" and gauze is probably the bulkiest diaper fabric but it is very comfortable when wet, very important for those of us with neuro bladders who are wet all the time. It is not a tough material so gauze diapers will suffer wear and tear a lot sooner than flannel and birdseye.

Most "gauze" diapers still incorporate other material for soaker layers down the center, usually terrycloth. It is possible to get "all gauze" diapers from Adult Cloth Diaper on special order. I think it's very hard to rate whether my all gauze diapers or my conventional gauze diapers are the more comfortable, as gauze is what is next to skin in either case. From an absorbancy standpoint, I feel there is a slight edge to the gauze diapers with the terry soakers.

Regardless of diaper type, sufficient diapering must be worn to ensure a dry bed. Plastic pants are certainly essential, but they won't stop leaks on the sheets if your diaper is inadequate.

JoeK

Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:13 pm

I've never tried gauze. I wore cloth diapers exclusively for years. I bought a bunch of Kins flannel prefolds and contacted with a diaper service in Hartford to wash them for me. I'd give them a big bag once a week and they would return them to me when they next picked up. I was renting and it was akward to wash my diapers in the same machines others used. When I got my own place I washed them myself.
Now I use disposables with some kind of cover over them. I wear an Abena, one size larger than I really need, and use a terry-lined polyester pant from Kins to cover it at night and around the house. Any leaks end up in that pant.
Try a diaper service, call some. It's an alternative that might be worthwhile. You'll need a large stock of diapers, however. I bought some flat birdseye diapers, knowing that they would not need three cycles on high to dry, but haven't tried them well. So it's disposables for me these days.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:54 am

I used birdseye cloth diapers and a diaper service for a long time too. Washing cloth diapers all the time at home was really a BIG hassle. I decided on the birdseye diapers because they were more durable and last longer. I would NOT recommend using cloth diapers UNLESS you are prepared to wash them yourself, or plan to use a diaper service company that will provided them (weekly rental). The cost of cloth diapers in large quanities is not cheap then you still need to buy some type of plastic pants to use. Once you have made the investment in cloth diapers and plastic pants there is still he cost of the diaper service. By the time you get finished paying for everything your not saving any money using cloth diapers, PLUS I had more skin problems using cloth diapers and plastic pants all the time not to mention the diaper bulk I need to hide during the day. It was the plastic pants that gave me more skin problems. When the diaper company that was using to wash the diapers went out of business, I decided to go back to using disposables and sold the cloth diapers I had on eBay.

Using cloth diapers for just night use is still something that I might consider going back to. They are very absorbent and using one diaper per night is not so bad if your washing them yourself at home.
Post a reply