www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: my diaper review
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:00 pm 

I figured i would post this as it might help someone, anyone else can feel free to add their experiences

Depends - blow in general, noisy, dont hold much

Attends - are better but still i dont think these are cost effective they dont hold alot and dont keep the skin dry, leaks will happen also odor absorbtion isnt the best either

Abena - imo the best bet, x-plus hold a ton, extra holds alot but slimmer package, both of these diapers also do a great job of odor control, initial price is shocking but if you figure the other prices in than you actually save cash.
the only ocasional leak is at night when im on my side other wise these are great.
other cons is they arent the easiest to get, cant get them locally and you have to wait for the shipping so you better not run out.

euro briefs - these are the best, i believe these beat the abena hands down, they hold alot the construction is strong, wicking ability definately the best, how ever these are made and what materials they use it takes full use of the brief, odor isnt an issue either
the down falls of this diaper isnt the way its made or quality, its the price and how hard thay are to find, its a shame these arent more redily available and a better price as i would take these over the abena but since they arent

this make the abena on top
hope this helps someone else 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:21 pm 

Hi Charity

Thanks for getting involved on the board I've been reading your posts Sorry to here of your condition.

Well anyway your right Depends suck! :x But like anything if you advertise it enough they will sell :roll: I also wear my fair share of the Abena X pluses Also the Molicare Supers and Super Plus ones.

But I tend to wear more Cloth then I do disposables. If you want to find out what true wicking is even after your already wet :shock: try cloth. While I would agree that the Abena's and the Molicare's are the best throw aways you can get. They are only a second class diaper to a good quality cloth diaper.

.......................Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:07 am 

I was goin to add something about the molicares as i have been using them lately, and my results arent so hot, the matting tends to break apart and fit is welll :roll: for me , i'm pretty sold on the disposables, due to convenience, perhaps one day when i decide to purchase a washer and dryer for my home I may try the cloth but at the moment this is the preference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:37 am 

Sandy and Charity,
I concur on those disposables. I don't use the best ones out there, but I use what works for me at the least price.

I'm glad Sandy is such a believer in cloth diapers now. Charity, if you do get the washer/dryer, do try them. They have so many advantages over disposables.

I saw some really cheap disposables on clearance in my local CVS store. I was tempted to buy them since they were so cheap, but I didn't want the hassle of leaks and having to change so often. ............Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:55 am 

I checked the boards late last night, but too tired to post. Back this
AM with my thoughts.

Options are great when it comes to incontinence. Over time, we all
explore what works best for us and when. The disposable vs. cloth
option will probably remain for a long time; I say all the better.

Certainly can agree with Sandy's comments about the superior wicking
of a quality cloth diaper, nothing can compare. As a compromise, I
suppose I need to explore the use of a good quality cloth diaper WITH
the addition of a disposable insert or booster that can be changed out
over an extended time. Good quality vinyl or rubber overpants a must, as well, when this option is taken.

As for now, I'm working on a good supply of Molicare Super from HDIS.
As of this moment, I do not think HDIS is offering Abena or the Euro Brief,
but I'm looking to contact XP medical for my next re-stocking so that I
can give those brands a fair trial.

However, there does come a point in time when one can 'engineer' their protection to a near maximum. With a Molicare Super and a good insert, the capacity to absorb before leaking leads toward so much bulking and saturation, that a point of discomfort is reached just in terms of wet weight and mass. Simply this: there is only so much room for all those ounces of urine to collect much as any liquid container tank reaches an
absolute point of being full. Let me tell you that a very well saturated and somewhat 'over engineered' diaper is NOT comfortable to wear and
walk or sit in, summer or winter.

I suppose the ULTIMATE diaper could be invented, say a 24 hour diaper.
But, do we really want that ? Can we accept the downsides of such an
extreme in protection ? Probably not. Such an extreme diaper would
be just too heavy, too bulky, too restrictive to wear, even if the capacity reached well over 100 ounces.

OK, that's my ramblings on a hot summer day. Aren't you just tempted to go without the overpants (vinyls or rubber) in this weather ???

John.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:13 pm 

Your Right about the Molicares Charity. But I find if you wear some mesh pants of brief style panties over them that are somewhat tight the seem to hold up fairly well. But if you don't like your Diaper to fit Tight then that's not a good option. Being that your going to be in a wheel chair the clumping may not be such an issue for you.

Then for me by the time they start to clump up I've already wet enough to need a change anyways. I guess I tend to lean to the Abena's more then the Molicare's But I often can find better deals on the Molicares then the Abena's :?

I've only used the Euro briefs a few times but was happy with them. But like you say they are hard to get and $$$$ :shock:

.................Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:19 pm 

I can't say that I have found a best diaper for me. Maybe because I am a cheapscape. Once I add up the cost plus shipping, I almost have a heart attack and never order any.

So I end up using Depends with Depends Booster, only buying them when they are on sale and then to help leaks, I reduce my intake which I know isn't good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:20 am 

Hey K.T.
I hate to hear you have to use Depends. They're so bad. I haven't priced those in a long while, but I know the stores have their own brands that are a lot better than Depends and should cost less.
I believe Wal*Mart sells their Assurance brand, and they're not that bad. Just my 2 cents worth. .................Paul Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:09 am 

Hi K.T
If you really new how bad Depends are my guess is you wouldn't be using them. Have you tried the Prevail Full Matt brief or maybe the Tena's ultras:?: There about the same price as the Depends but in my opinion are a fair amount better.

The one thing people fail to see when you buy the high end Diapers like Abena. Is how long you can go without a change. I Can go as long as 12-14 hours if I push it in a Abena X plus. Granted if your prone to diaper rash that may not be for you. But then if by chance your having problems with diaper rash you may want to increase your fluid intake so your urine is less acidic.

For me with The cheap diapers like say Depends Attends other store brand diapers without the aid of a booster I'd say on average it's about 3-4 of those cheap ones to one Abena X plus or even the Molicare Super Plus. So if you look at it from that view point how can you think your saving anything by buying cheap diapers.

But then some will say that well I add a booster to the Cheap ones? OK great how much are the boosters costing you? I myself when I'm not wearing cloth do wear allot of the cheaper ones mainly when I'm at home. I do use a booster in them generally. But then I'm buying these off Ebay and often times even with the shipping paying less then 1/2 of what they would cost in the stores.

............Sandy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:19 pm 

Thanks Sandy and Paul.
So far for the way I have been buying my depends, they have only been costing me $9.99 for 16 and the booster cost me$3.99 for 20. I have tried others and found a local Medical store that stocks Attends which when I am tired of watching my intake, I do go get some of those. I just haven't found any place online that to me is cost effective as long as I watch my intake.

On a side note, right now I don't have to worry to much about it because my bladder will not release. As you all have said, meds aren't good, but I had to at least once try some samples from the doctor just to show my wife that I am trying to deal with my incontinence some other way than diapers. Well, what the doctor feared most happened, it shut me down ad I had make a run to the E.R. last Monday for a foley cath. Went in today to the DR. for them to take it out and check me out, well, they filled me up and nothing would come out so now I have to cath myself until something gives.

I am looking at this one a bright side though, what I don't spend now on diapers, I can save for better diapers if and when things go the other way again.

Again thank you all for your support!!!!

K.T.