www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reusable Diapers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:33 am 

I have been reading this forum for several years, but don't post much because I am still working. I am preparing to retire at the end of the year. I currently use premium disposable diapers, but am considering using cloth while at home to save money. I wet very heavily at night, but can sometimes make it to the toilet when awake. For those who use cloth diapers, what are your favorite diapers and where do you buy them? Also, how many do you keep on hand? Can you get them clean in a high efficiency washer?

Thank you,

Jim

Post subject: Re: Reusable Diapers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:26 am 

Hi Jim,

I am also transitioning to cloth while at home, and have tried several brands and types of cloth. Currently, my favorites are the contour type from Changing Times and a couple with Velcro tabs from Rearz. As a heavy wetter, I always use a booster with any cloth diaper. I've heard great reviews about Angel Fluff as well, but haven't tried them yet. I've also tried Leakmaster, and while they are good, the others perform and fit better for me.

Currently, I have 7 cloth which I rotate, but will purchase more over time. I try to wash every 3-4 days. Check out the diaper primer on here for some great tips on washing as well as wearing them. My normal routine is to store wet diapers in a plastic tub with a few inches of water and a cup of vinegar until wash day (thanks to Rope for the tip). I first run the whole load on a rinse cycle, then wash on hot with detergent and I also throw in one of the odor eliminator pods. This seems to do the trick for me and they come out clean and odor free. Do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets when drying - it will reduce their absorbing ability.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:22 am 

Thanks for the props 5bugles,

I use Angelfluff with velcro. I used leak master plastic pants for the first few years and just switched over to plastic pants from kins. I only use disposables at work and anytime I may be away from home and may need to chqnge. Otherwise I use cloth almost all the time. I have about a dozen diapers and plastic pants. I also have 4 heavier weight diapers for night time and plastic pants 1 size bigger. Only thing I picture that may be a problem is a high efficiency washer is made to sence how much laundry is in the machine and supply the minimum amount of water for it. If you have a setting to override the sensor, do that and set it to large load and wash only 4-6 diapers at a time. If there is too many, they won't get clean and you will have an odor when they get wet again. Also you will have to play and figure out how much detergent to use. Too much and it all will not rice out and you get an odor from the build up but not enough and they won't get clean and you will get a different odor.
Look at the premier and it should help a lot. Also Google cloth diaper cleaning and you will get a bunch of blogs on how to clean baby diapers. Basically the same info on cleaning, drying and when you need to, how to strip them. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'll do what I can.

Good luck

Rope

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:42 am 

Thanks to both of you for useful information. I will let you know how it turns out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:36 am 

I use pocket diapers almost exclusively when I can-they have saved me a bundle. Unfortunately, i have gained weight so rapidly that my inventory no longer fits.. so am currently using disposables until i lose enough weight. I really like the diapers from missingkinkgs on Etsy, Adapt and accept pocket diapers also from etsy, now sold by https://www.etsy.com/shop/BinkygirlABCreations, and Happy Endings diapers, though the micro fiber inserets make the last entry quite bulky. I swear by them for the convenience and ease of toilet use. Really, for me toilet use was a HUGE factor because i want to keep the control I have left. Pin on diapers basically force me to use the diaper whether I want to or not. Not to mention pocket diapers keep urine from the skin, and you can totally customize your diaper to the absorbency level you need. Give them a try, you'll be glad you did!

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II