www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:10 am 

Ok, so I recently introduced myself in the general discussion area so I hope I am posting this in the right section. Feel free to move it if I have not.
Like I mentioned in my introduction I am fairly new to dealing with incontinence and am basically looking for a tonne of helpful advise.
From what others have said and from what little experience I have with this issue it sounds like my current protection of Pull-Ups needs be upgraded!
So the next step is nappies (diapers) might as well call them what they are! only problem is the last time I used one I was probably around 3 years old! so basically I am needing some advise, suggestions etc. I have been looking at some brands and there are so many brands, types and absorbencies out there.
Tena Slip, Molicare, Lille, ID seem to be the main brands carried by UK online suppliers. I guess I have some questions which hopefully some of you can perhaps answer.
* Like I mentioned in my introduction I do sometimes make it to the toilet I admit not often, will wearing a nappy still allow me this freedom or will it pose problems.
* Some products I have looked at say PE backing or Cloth backing which to go for? or does it not make a difference?
* With a nappy should it be changed after each accident or is that wasting the product and money. With pull-ups I have been changing after each accident as they are pretty much maxed out at that point.
* Is it best to go for a high absorbency nappy or a lower/medium absorbency. All the brands I have looked at come in at least three different absorbencies!
* I am guessing a nappy is going to be significantly bulkier than a pull-up?

Sorry for all the questions but hopefully I will be able to get some good tips and advice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:47 am 

Drippy,

Go read those two references I gave you in response to your previous question. They should answer all your questions. The materials are right here on ISC and I gave you the links to them.

--John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:38 am 

If this promises to become a long-term situation, you might consider washables and plastic pants.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:12 am 

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can but I am still fairly new to this as well
With a tape up diaper it is much more difficult to remove to use the toilet especially if using a plastic backed brief as they are difficult to refasten.
I would recommend plastic backed they tend to have a lot less issues with leaks and odor than cloth backed.
How often you change depends on how abosrbent the diaper is if it is a high quality product like an Abena or Molicare you can probably use it multiple times before needing to change if necessary. If it is of lower quality you will need to change more frequently.
I would go for a higher absorbency personally but it really depends on how heavily you wet.
Diapers are a bit more bulky than the pull ups but not drastically so

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:01 pm 

Yeah, you will find plenty of stuff that will help you here, although the best kind of diaper for yourself is something that you have to figure out for yourself now. Nobody will choose for you, but you should follow diapers. If you are interested, trying out hexa & co diapers may be a good choice as they pick products for you depending on your weight/leaking ratio. I actually loved them for the long-term as well, but you have to check all other companies and different type of diapers to check for sure what suits you the most and there is plenty of things to choose from nowadays, so it is a hard choice to make and will take you some time. Discovering them is very interesting and exciting process though.