www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pull on diaper
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:35 am 

This question may have already been addressed, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a good pull up diaper that works well for them. I'm currently using a tape on diaper, but hopefully can graduate to a pull up after I recover from my prostatectomy. I'm not sure how long that will be, and if my incontinence will be more long lasting. Also, maybe tape on diapers on still the best form of management. At least one doesn't have to completely disrobe in order to change. Any thoughts?

Dennis

Post subject: Re: Pull on diaper
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:56 pm 

Hi Dennis

pullup diapers for the most part are not very absorbant, and due the the wide size range for each size they really do not fit as well as a taped diaper.

if you just have minor drips or small surges pullups may work ok for you but I would recommend testing them at home to make sure they will work for you. a leak at home is easier to deal with.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:52 pm 

Dennis. If I could make a suggestion? Go to the website http://www.hdis.com/men-protective-unde ... -pack.html and choose your size. For about $10 you will get two of each make and model they have. It doesn't meant you have to buy from them but it is a pretty cheap way to try a bunch out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:59 pm 

You should know that a small percentage of prostatectomy patients never recover full continence. I hope you will not be among them, but learning what works for you now is always a good idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:47 am 

Hi dp66

Manufacturers provide samples sometimes free this helped me. I did not get on with pull ups so wear Molicare cloth backed diaper (just as good with more protection), compression briefs and waterproof cover.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Greenbank

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:18 am 

never found one suitable for long term use but of the dozens of types tried
I would rate the Abena Abri-Flex Premium L3 as probably at or near the top
in absorption and performance
link for large
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NZF9MK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:50 am 

About HDIS, I got that sample pack just before my shoulder surgery because I knew I would not be able to pin or tape my own diapers. What I had learned was there has been a lot of improvements sence I had looked to pull ups for protection. They have a few over night ones or at least they claim are over night. Still as a male, I found laying down with a pull up was incredibly problematic because parts of our anatomy did not always cooperate. The other things I learned was each product fit a little different. Some rode really high up on the hips and to me felt like a bikini cut.others just had bad elastic.
When it comes down to it, a pull up is more made for a person that only needs a back up. Someone that can still make it to the restroom and void mostly in a normal fashion. It is basically a glorified pad. A pull up is not really designed to catch large amounts of urine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:44 pm 

I used to think pull-ups or (pull-ons whatever floats your boat) were the best thing since sliced bread but once I went into real diapers I couldn't go back (long term) I jumped up to more maximum absorbency diapers but I couldn't go back. Improved my confidence and mental health as a whole. Much happier in my diapers!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:51 pm 

I have heard great things about NorthShore's new pull-ons, they're called Go Supreme I believe. I've only tried their older ones, the Flex Supreme, and like all the Depend and store brand pull-ons I've tried, they sagged enough around the legs that leaks were practically inevitable. Their new design, though, is supposed to be much tighter around the thigh.