www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: restrooms
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:30 am 

I wish there was more of a concern with accessable public restrooms. Even if larger trash bins were located in the stalls it would be more discreet. This is true of stores, public places, and even some work places (mine takes three minutes to get to). Some large stores have only one and if you have to ask where it is, forget it, you don't have time. You'd think that there would be more consideration. I think some legislation is in order for this, if a candidate made it an issue they'd get my vote. I have been at Wal-mart when they were cleaning the bathroom and they told me they had one at the store two doors down. Some places do not allow customers to use their bathroom. I have heard this is an issue for pregnant women as well as people with small children, not just people with baldder problems.

Post subject: Restroom availabillity
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:20 am 

LtsofQues,
You hit the mark on a problem out there. I have found only a handfull of restrooms where the handi-cap stall has their own waste basket. Some, I've found some even have a sink in the stall to wash your hands! Really nice.
But like you said, most have a trash receptacle by the door leading out of the bathroom. You have to carry your soiled diaper out of the stall to the trash can. Hopefully, no one will notice you're carrying something! Just another hassle for incontinent people! .........Paul Martin

Post subject: Restrooms
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:15 pm 

This is true. Maybe when some of the stigma gets removed this will change. I wonder if it would be a good idea to write to corporations and tell them our concerns anonomously that have stores. I don't know where I would start. That brings me to another question. Would it be appropriate if you are traveling on a plane to request an aisle seat for medical reasons? Or if you are staying at a hotel do you notify them to ask for more garbage bags, a plastic sheet, or a larger garbage can? I don't wet the bed but can leak when I get up or if I happen to cough or sneeze. This would be embarrassing but I bet they would charge you if you ruined a chair or matress.

Post subject: Traveling
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:34 am 

Hi LtsofQues,
I don't know if writing some corporations would help much, but I agree they should look into our situation.

As far as hotel rooms when traveling, this is what I do. I always carry extra "Wal*Mart" type bags with me to put all my soiled diapers in. Every morning, I make a trash run and dispose of my diaper trash bag in a trash can in the hallway or outside. I always carry a waterproof pad that I sleep on to catch any leaks, I have to wear disposables while away from home so I leak easily. My wife and I rent a condo in Florida each fall, so I can wear my cloth diapers with plastic pants at night since we have a washer in the condo. I've been tempted to use the washers that most hotels have, but I haven't yet. You just have to plan ahead when you travel. It's really tough for an incontinent person. You have to have a check list so you won't forget something.

Another problem on long trips is how many diapers should you pack? Once on a cruise, I didn't calculate it right and ran out. The ship carried no incontinent supplies at all. Luckily for myself, a port we stoped at had some drug stores, and I found some adult diapers. They were the cheap type, but atleast I had the diapers I needed.
Just think things through, and you'll do OK. ...........Paul Martin

Post subject: good news
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:27 am 

I found a website for a foundation for the american restroom association which is working to have better more accessible restrooms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:42 pm 

Here's a thought in a chinese Restaurant that we go to from time to time Many of times that we were there I would use the restroom and there would be Maxis or incontinence products balled up on the floor of the stalls in the corners. They finally got the message and they started using decent size trash cans in the restroom stalls. Maybe that's something to try at the places you go to on a regular basis. You have to think that sooner or later they get tired of picking them up and take a hint. Or you could stick a note on a few of them. I know I'm not being real politically correct here. But then being incontinent is not exactly Politically correct either :lol: .................Sandy

Post subject: thanks Sandy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:32 am 

Incontinence is not politically correct but it is real and has to be dealt with. I have read statistics that 14 million Americans have it. Accomodations are made for other health problems, so why not for this one. People need diapers if they have the problem just like people with bad eyesight need glasses. I was pleased to find this sight for the American restroom association because even if you are wearing protection its always good to be able to have the chance to avoid an accident or have a place to change intead of having to wait or have a leak because you can't change when needed. Last week if there hadn't been such a close bathroom I would have had a serious problem.

Post subject: Restrooms and stalls
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:26 am 

You know one problem I have with stalls in restrooms?

It's the fact that you need a stall that has some room to change. Many times I go, and the handi-cap stall is being used by some one who is not handicapped! I'm stuck hitting my elbows on the walls trying to pull my pants down and changing my diaper. You need room to do this and a handicap stall has that. I would be happy if they would atleast put a sign on the stall "For handicap users only!" I feel better now that I've got that off my chest! I love you all! .........Paul

Post subject: restrooms
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:02 pm 

Hi all I agree with what has been said sometimes during the day I don't need protection so have to be aware of where the restrooms are lociated,and sometimes do need to change and the usual size stalls are too small so go inthe handicapped feel like I'am cheating being in there.

Post subject: Restrooms
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:26 pm 

I agree with you Ron. I feel a bit of guilt too, but what are you to do? I guess they could add a "changing" stall that had a small seat. Then I guess people would wonder what that was all about.
Hey, my YMCA had a changing stall for people to dress/undress in the men's locker room. I used it all the time untill they took it out when they remodeled. I've been fighting them to put it back, but have not received any response. I feel like writing a nasty letter to the YMCA head people threatening to sue under the ADA Act. That would probably scare them into doing something!
In the meantime, I think we have every right to use the handi-cap stall. I classify being incontinent as a handi-cap. Some may not, though. Well, that's off my chest now! ..................Paul Martin